Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So let's support all efforts made to help Ukraine, and then worry about whether or not to keep Johnson as the next election approaches.

It doesn't help when his sister is prepared to hand Ukraine over to Russia. 'I could live with that'.

[tweet]1508151165363658757[/tweet]

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
re Zelenky and Macron

Again, smart play from Zelenky to heap pressure on Macron in an election year. Supporting Ukraine is a popular cause and he is doing something unpopular.

Macron now has to be seen to act

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sounds like multiple sources saying that the Russians are counter attacking NW and East of Kyiv. Heavy artillery incoming.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
So let's support all efforts made to help Ukraine, and then worry about whether or not to keep Johnson as the next election approaches.

I very begrudgingly agree. Which is very unfortunate, as I'd like nothing more than for Johnson to fall on his sword and this gives him a way out of the party stuff - that will all be forgotten about now, and the Russia report will not be released while Johnson is in power, especially now.

But now is not the time.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
re Zelenky and Macron

Again, smart play from Zelenky to heap pressure on Macron in an election year. Supporting Ukraine is a popular cause and he is doing something unpopular.

Macron now has to be seen to act

He cannot win here really, his military is just leaving Mali after a fairly rugged encounter with Jihadist extremists there,.... years of French involvement has barely scratched the surface, casualties, poor leadership and political constraints have meant others are now replacing them in country,... UK is sending 300. French society isn't keen on another military adventure... they have a decent military, but lack ambition or motivation to carry it through,... public opinion is firmly anti-war,.... even if it essential.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
It doesn't help when his sister is prepared to hand Ukraine over to Russia. 'I could live with that'.

Blimey, didn't know the whole Johnson family were in Putin's pocket. Nothing suprises me anymore

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He cannot win here really, his military is just leaving Mali after a fairly rugged encounter with Jihadist extremists there,.... years of French involvement has barely scratched the surface, casualties, poor leadership and political constraints have meant others are now replacing them in country,... UK is sending 300. French society isn't keen on another military adventure... they have a decent military, but lack ambition or motivation to carry it through,... public opinion is firmly anti-war,.... even if it essential.

Nobody is talking about France sending troops, just equipment. And every western government has some surpluses which they can send. France just choosing not to

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I very begrudgingly agree. Which is very unfortunate, as I'd like nothing more than for Johnson to fall on his sword and this gives him a way out of the party stuff - that will all be forgotten about now, and the Russia report will not be released while Johnson is in power, especially now.

But now is not the time.

It's out, been out 18 months or so, just with 175 redactions so not as revealing as we would like. Basic conclusion is UK Government and security services were blase about the risks posed by Russian interference, and lack of monitoring means we don't know to what extent their actions affected the Brexit result. Personally, given the narrow margin of decision, I think it hard to argue it was not decisive.
https://isc.independent.gov.uk/wp-c...6010-001_Russia-Report-v02-Web_Accessible.pdf

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

It's the only way the war can end, Russia can't take Ukraine without using Nukes, Ukraine cant defeat Russia without Nato getting involved, Russia won't allow Nato to be on it's border and Nato doesn't want Russia on it's border. The Berlin Wall will be rebuilt but further east this time and then there will be 2 no fly zones, 1 by Nato and 1 by Russia and we have Cold War part 2.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's the only way the war can end, Russia can't take Ukraine without using Nukes, Ukraine cant defeat Russia without Nato getting involved, Russia won't allow Nato to be on it's border and Nato doesn't want Russia on it's border. The Berlin Wall will be rebuilt but further east this time and then there will be 2 no fly zones, 1 by Nato and 1 by Russia and we have Cold War part 2.

Where do you get the idea that NATO doesn't want Russia on it's border when Estonia and Latvia are both members but border Russia?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

But now is not the time.
Don't worry, there are a million and one things we can criticise Johnson for and I see no reason to stop that. Let's just do it on the other threads, and make it about his general leadership of this country, but not about his support of Ukraine.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

It is clearly not the only possible outcome.

Frankly whether she could "live with that" or not is just self centered hubris.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I disagree. I'm not saying that you're suggestion cannot happen, but I disagree that it's the only way the war can end. Ukraine can't defeat Russia, but they don't have to. If the west continue sanctions against Russia, eventually they may decide that leaving Ukraine is what's best for Russia. And I disagree about NATO and Russia not allowing each other on their border - they already do!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
[Tweet]1508201460487659528[/Tweet]

Interesting.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here