Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We sent loads of NLAW anti tank weapons and right now they're receiving UK built star streak anti aircraft missiles.

We've been one of the best in Europe in arming and training them.
Probably, but it is because we are not in need of Russian energy and we have also not offered humanitarian support.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ukraine aren't happy with that. They're saying their territorial integrity is non negotiable, but they are willing to discuss the pre Feb 24 Donbass area with some kind of autonomy. To give anything since the invasion of 24 Feb would be seen to reward then aggressor and I don't think the Ukrainian public would buy it, plus if you held a referendum in those areas and asked then citizens, they'd want to be in Ukraine for sure. Tough choices.

and Crimea? i wonder if the degree of recognition there will be key, more ceded there less ceded elsewhere.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
You may be surprised, but you possibly shouldnt be. breaking news from bellingcat and the WSJ, that for the early peace talks held on the border on March 3, some on the Ukrainian delegation were poisoned with whats being alleged as a chemical weapon..... and Roman Abramovich who was asked to mediate on the Ukrainian side, as part Jewish, was also poisoned.

[tweet]1508463513013997580[/tweet]

Indeed.

On 27 Feb, when the prospect of talks was first being discussed, I said 'Free Novichok with all cutlery', not thinking the Russians would be so brazen to actually do it.

Truth really is stranger than fiction.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You may be surprised, but you possibly shouldnt be. breaking news from bellingcat and the WSJ, that for the early peace talks held on the border on March 3, some on the Ukrainian delegation were poisoned with whats being alleged as a chemical weapon..... and Roman Abramovich who was asked to mediate on the Ukrainian side, as part Jewish, was also poisoned.

[tweet]1508463513013997580[/tweet]

Jeez, I mean I know Russia aren’t exactly subtle in their methods but ****ing hell lads.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Jeez, I mean I know Russia aren’t exactly subtle in their methods but ****ing hell lads.
Does go to show that although we often perceive Putin as an all controlling Bond Villian, he is simply the head of a gangster organisation with all sort of competing elements beneath him.

I would be at all surprised if he had nothing to do with it.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Does go to show that although we often perceive Putin as an all controlling Bond Villian, he is simply the head of a gangster organisation with all sort of competing elements beneath him.

I would be at all surprised if he had nothing to do with it.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

I dont think that's possible tbh. He is the only power, the Godfather if you will. To set this up would require planning and a few personnel to do it.... If they did that without Putin's knowledge or say so they wouldnt last 5 minutes.

I'd be as near as certain Putin knew about it. All such decisions go through him.

An intimidation/threat tactic though rather than a genuine attempt at asassination.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Indeed.

On 27 Feb, when the prospect of talks was first being discussed, I said 'Free Novichok with all cutlery', not thinking the Russians would be so brazen to actually do it.

Truth really is stranger than fiction.
Putin really does not care how stupid it looks to do something like this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But surely anyone attending such talks (ie, ones where Russia are involved) would take all their own food and drink etc?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
and Roman Abramovich who was asked to mediate on the Ukrainian side, as part Jewish, was also poisoned.
As a Russian oligarch, why was he on the Ukrainian side? So what if he's part Jewish, he's Russian, and has been considered to be an ally of Putin.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
As a Russian oligarch, why was he on the Ukrainian side? So what if he's part Jewish, he's Russian, and has been considered to be an ally of Putin.

He def was Putins mate. but he has lived in the west for many years and now accepts that west is best. He knows Putin regime based on fear and lies and is trying to help!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
But surely anyone attending such talks (ie, ones where Russia are involved) would take all their own food and drink etc?

Yes, absolutely. I was being facetious when I wrote that. I wasn't really predicting a poisoning. I didn't think that the Russians would actually do that.

Yet they did. The poisoning, which apparently was mild, so more a warning than a lethal dose, was carried out in Kyiv, and not in Russian or Belarussian territory. Very odd.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The same reason why the Saudis are never threatened by our government. It's because we are not dependent on Russian energy sources. 3% of our fuel comes from Russia and we don't take Russian gas.

Our "support" begins and ends with talking loudly about arming them. It certainly isn't humanitarian support. Gotta keep those Brexity rules in place eh.

Difficult to know why you wrote that

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

That's all true. But he said he was against any war and Zelensky personally asked him to mediate and he agreed. (I guess he asked Putin)?

Just read that some think Abramovich was the target as he spoke against the war as a warning to other oligarchs?

What a f***ed up place Russia is

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, absolutely. I was being facetious when I wrote that. I wasn't really predicting a poisoning. I didn't think that the Russians would actually do that.
I wasn't so much referring to what you wrote, but what actually happened. You say you didn't think the Russians would do that - I did. I was amazed that any talks were being held in Belarus. I wouldn't be going there if I was Ukrainian.

The poisoning, which apparently was mild, so more a warning than a lethal dose, was carried out in Kyiv, and not in Russian or Belarussian territory. Very odd.
Good point. Very odd indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here