Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's starting to look very much like Russia has started a war they can neither win or, extricate themselves from without huge loss of face and equipment and world condemnation. Oopsie !

Just one huge (steroid-inflated) ‘face’ needs to be lost. Hopefully one of the Oligarchs will soon put up the cash to get it done.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
7am our time, the ceasefire starts and safe passage can be used to Russia or Belarus…..

Wonder how many take this up and how long the ceasefire lasts.
Off to Siberia for any that go to Belarus or Russia.

Putin won't have them anywhere near any Russians that they can talk to.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I am all for free speech, and this platform has been a good example of that freedom, right from its inception. However, it has always been a good example also, of a site that won't hesitate to ban or delete offensive and/or willfully false posts and posters should the occasion demand it.

Could I ask the admins to watch carefully on here as to those who are posting fake and obviously inappropriate virtually pro-Russian perspectives at this sensitive time. It is plainly obvious that, despite the unsavoury nature of a small section of society and politics in democratic eastern Europe, that there is nobody at fault in this scenario other than Russia, there is no wriggle room for those trying to mitigate the motives and effects of a full scale invasion of a democratic nation, the shelling and killing of civilians and civilian infrastructure.

Please consider a closer look.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Agreed.

Of course anyone can fall foul of Putin's snake tongued seductive propaganda.

But to then indulge in post after long post parroting his narrative is disgusting.

The worst are those which follow the format of 6 words condemning the invasion followed by 600 words mitigating it. Something which I have noticed on a few places on the Internet, not specifically NSC.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
It's starting to look very much like Russia has started a war they can neither win or, extricate themselves from without huge loss of face and equipment and world condemnation. Oopsie !

It's because of this that it's slightly more serious than "Oopsie". Putin will escalate if needs be in order to try and leave a legacy as the strong man.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Agreed.

Of course anyone can fall foul of Putin's snake tongued seductive propaganda.

But to then indulge in post after long post parroting his narrative it is disgusting.

The worst are those which follow the format of 6 words condemning the invasion followed by 600 mitigating it.

Exactly. I've seen the same thing. It is as if they are preparing their audience, by getting them onside first, before subjecting them to their real beliefs. It's disingenuous.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The BBC clearly knew of the problems in Ukraine in 2017, so it's hard to understand why the reporting is such a whitewash today. Ukraine is hardly a healthy democracy and bastion of freedom. I've heard people say we should be worried about Russia moving into western Europe, but I'd be more worried about some of the nationalist ultra right wing ideology in Ukraine spreading, I think that's more likely. I'm no fan of Russia, but painting this as a fight between good and evil is starting to look a little off to me.

[tweet]1500826230106562564[/tweet]

You Sir, need to educate yourself. I’d call you a ****ing idiot if it wasn’t such an important thread.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Exactly. I've seen the same thing. It is as if they are preparing their audience, by getting them onside first, before subjecting them to their real beliefs. It's disingenuous.

It’s the oldest truck in the book; display empathy towards one side of the argument to infer a sense of impartiality, then let rip with a torrent of bullshit supporting their own agenda.

Except this isn’t Brexit; there is no justification for division whatsoever. Anyone attempting to sympathise with the indiscriminate killing of civilians, the destructions of their homes and their lives, wants their head checking - or maybe something even more drastic doing to it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am all for free speech, and this platform has been a good example of that freedom, right from its inception. However, it has always been a good example also, of a site that won't hesitate to ban or delete offensive and/or willfully false posts and posters should the occasion demand it.

Could I ask the admins to watch carefully on here as to those who are posting fake and obviously inappropriate virtually pro-Russian perspectives at this sensitive time. It is plainly obvious that, despite the unsavoury nature of a small section of society and politics in democratic eastern Europe, that there is nobody at fault in this scenario other than Russia, there is no wriggle room for those trying to mitigate the motives and effects of a full scale invasion of a democratic nation, the shelling and killing of civilians and civilian infrastructure.

Please consider a closer look.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I would rather they were challenged for honestly held, if flawed, opinions. The first few times anyway. I have not seen anyone post pure propaganda.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Lol.

Read the comments.

[Tweet]1500889880611770376[/Tweet]

The driver was arrested shortly afterwards. Of course, the Russian people won't get to hear that.

[tweet]1500931667279626247[/tweet]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My point was that this may be Putin’s objective.
My reply was to Brighton Lines.

You rightly pointed out that if you demilitarised countries between east and west, as buffer zones, it would allow Russia to jump in to them. BL said he's (Putin) not done that to Finland. But since Finland isn't demilitarised, his reply made no sense.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I don't see a big problem with Here'sWally's posts tbf. Criticise and debunk any factual inaccuracies if you can, absolutely, but I don't see him as a propoganda-ist(?) for Putin and I am uncomfortable if others say he cannot speak and post videos/reports from news before the war, that seem to come from reasonable sources.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't see a big problem with Here'sWally's posts tbf. Criticise and debunk any factual inaccuracies if you can, absolutely, but I don't see him as a propoganda-ist(?) for Putin and I am uncomfortable if others say he cannot speak and post videos/reports from news before the war, that seem to come from reasonable sources.

Who has said he cannot post videos/reports? Only the mods have that authority and unless I’ve missed a step, nobody has censored or removed his comments?

You think he should be allowed to post those comments and links. I think he should be able to post those comments and links. The mods seem to think he should be able to post those comments and links.

Rest easy. Free speech is alive and well on NSC.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
[tweet]1501117959246331913[/tweet]

Play the role of tough guy standing up to Putin's murderous regime, secretly let your rich pals sell stuff 9ff?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Play the role of tough guy standing up to Putin's murderous regime, secretly let your rich pals sell stuff 9ff?

the highlighted clause seems sensible, makes it possible to decide on a case by case basis. for example existing sanctions across world exempting energy supply. the whole oligarch thing is theatre anyway, rushing legisilation through that they'll bypass from simply having legitmate source of funds.

Edit: seems reading the legislation this is only concerning the registration of assets by overseas persons.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
[tweet]1501117959246331913[/tweet]

This is in sympatico with Johnson’s latest narrative of “we can’t blame all Russians. It’s not Russia v The West”
Laying the ground to let his chums off the hook.

So,

Brexit
Give him another chance
Covid deaths “let the bodies pile high”
Give him another chance
Covid parties
Give him another chance
Billions wasted on faulty PPE
Give him another chance
Billions in dodgy contracts handed to his mates
Give him another chance
Letting his chums slip through the sanctions net
Give him a other chance

Wake up!

Let’s hope he hasn’t signed the death warrants of thousands of Ukranians with his lies and dodgy deals. But let’s face it, he probably has.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here