Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1497536682488483843[/tweet]

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
This again. Vlad no mates has used his time machine and transported Russia back a generation. At least. Surrounded by enemies, nobody will do business with Russia. Further, nobody will trust a word they say. Why on earth would they? With no chance of markets for their goods or services, he has committed his nation to the third division until the day he dies and beyond.

Exactly. As the world weans itself off hydrocarbons what else has Russia to offer?

When was the last time you bought a Russian Car or Laptop, or FFS anything Russian?

I suppose they could continue flogging arms to people if they thought they might get paid...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mrs Raymondo has been watching videos on Ukrainian social media taken by locals. Many Russian soldiers taken prisoner are late teens... had no idea what they were being sent into, and now scared as shit. Seems like the mighty Russian army have sent in Putin's Youth first, to guage the dangers. Fvck you, Putin and your supporters.
Most of the Russian troops are there simply because its the job, the Ukrainians though are fighting for something they believe in. They have been incredibly brave in standing up and fighting as they have, true hero's.

Let's hope that the combination of world condemnation, sanctions, protests at home and the resilience of Ukraine leads to Putin being " removed "...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1497538934951366658[/tweet]

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This would be decent.

But could well be made up and I'm not sure we really get nice things at the moment.

[Tweet]1497537193346220038[/Tweet]

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
From the Daily Telegraph (behind paywall)

"Russian politicians break ranks with Kremlin to condemn invasion
Mikhail Matveyev, a member of the State Duma, says he "voted for peace, not a war" and calls on Moscow to halt the conflict

By
Nataliya Vasilyeva,
RUSSIA CORRESPONDENT, MOSCOW
26 February 2022 • 9:41am
Russia’s invasion of Ukraine is proving so unpopular that several Russian MPs are withdrawing their support for the Kremlin.

The State Duma, the lower house of Russian parliament, last week voted to recognise the independence of eastern Ukraine’s separatist regions. President Vladimir Putin signed the motion into law on Monday.

Two days later Russia’s upper house of parliament gave the green light to sending Russian troops "abroad". However, it was not clear until Thursday morning that Mr Putin had ordered a full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

Mikhail Matveyev, a member of the State Duma, on Saturday called on the Kremlin to stop the invasion.

"By voting to recognise the independence of the Donetsk and Luhansk People's Republics I voted for peace, not a war. For Russia to become a shield for the Donbass, not for bombing Kyiv," he said.

Another MP, Communist Oleg Smolin, said on Friday he was "shocked" by the invasion and was sorry for the loss of life.

Their statements came amid a myriad of anti-war petitions from Russian teachers, scientists and doctors.

Even some of the most Kremlin-friendly pundits began to publicly question the rationale behind Moscow unleashing a war on a sovereign nation.

Andrey Kortunov, director of the Russian International Affairs Council that advises the foreign ministry, told the BBC he had not advised Russians officials to launch an invasion and that many in the Russian government were shocked at the decision.

“I would say that many of us in the foreign office were surprised and I would say shocked and I would even say devastated to see what is happening,” he said.

“This is an important red line that was crossed by the Russian leadership and the repercussions are likely to be very significant."

Russia’s foreign ministry sought to punish some of the country’s most respected journalists for speaking out against the invasion.

Elena Chernenko, a veteran foreign affairs reporter for the Kommersant newspaper who often travelled with Sergey Lavrov, the foreign minister, said on Friday she was ejected from his pool for “unprofessionalism”."

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm certainly not proud of my country and definitely wouldn't fight for it, its mostly full of selfish w@nkers

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Don't know where you knock about but my experience here, like anywhere, is that the majority of people are decent, friendly folk. Every country has its fair share of oiks ffs

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This would be decent.

But could well be made up and I'm not sure we really get nice things at the moment.

[Tweet]1497537193346220038[/Tweet]

Wow if true BV, would also make sense to suggest Kharkiv will fall first, as thats where the thermobaric bombs are going

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Exactly. As the world weans itself off hydrocarbons what else has Russia to offer?

When was the last time you bought a Russian Car or Laptop, or FFS anything Russian?

I suppose they could continue flogging arms to people if they thought they might get paid...

I had no idea what we imported from Russia and decide to take a look - quite enlightening - no more barbecues :ohmy:

RU_UK.jpg

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
[tweet]1497538934951366658[/tweet]

Germany have turned off a vital pipeline and backed payments block (SWIFT) for half their gas. As Ukrainians are mercilessly butchered.

Chelsea moan they might have to sell a few 250k pw footballers as its funded by Putins wallet.

Welcome to the bottom half of the PL.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
No it isn't. People fought for their families, towns & communities etc. Not the political party that wa in control at the time.
You'll be relying on those over 30 then, I don't think the YouTubers and influencers of today will be much use on the front line

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here