Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yes, Ukraine absolutely needs more manpower (not to mention ammo), but Russia does seem to need more manpower to throw in the meat grinder. I'm not a military strategist, but I read somewhere that you need something like double the number of men to perform an offensive than hold a defensive line.

As an aside, I read an article about Ukrainian women being excellent at sniping. Some of them at least are already in combat.
Likewise in military strategy, purely layman from reading others. I thought the ratio of losses for an attacking force to dug in defence was higher than 2:1?

As for "Ukrainian women being excellent at sniping"..... after 11 years in my second marriage I can confirm its true!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
In this update from Denys, starting at 9.39, he talks about Belgorod. He says that there are many text responses to recent Russian TV news programs saying..."what is happening in Belgorod ; don't forget Belgorod ; help us in Belgorod etc...". Apparently the main Russian media is completely silent on it, no reporting on the now regular incursions or any proper response from Russian military.
Another classic case of...if they don't report it then it can't exist.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
In this update from Denys, starting at 9.39, he talks about Belgorod. He says that there are many text responses to recent Russian TV news programs saying..."what is happening in Belgorod ; don't forget Belgorod ; help us in Belgorod etc...". Apparently the main Russian media is completely silent on it, no reporting on the now regular incursions or any proper response from Russian military.

bit of a worry if what he says Trump thinks is true. We know Trump is c##t but at least thought he would give Ukraine something.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
bit of a worry if what he says Trump thinks is true. We know Trump is c##t but at least thought he would give Ukraine something.
I think Denys's view on Trump is correct.
Trump has made enough comments in the past two years to clearly come across as a Putin fan boy - either because he admires the iron fist autocratic./do what you want approach (cos Trump wants to be the same), and/or because Russia has some kompromat/compromise on Trump, some video or audio on him or his family that Trump would do/say ANYTHING to stop it being released. That's the strong rumour anyway.

So, as Macron, and others, said recently, Europe REALLY MUST change its mindset, and its actions, so that it's prepared to support Ukraine (and therefore Poland, Moldova, the Baltics etc) by itself...because if Trump gets in that may be needed.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

I didn't appreciate that events in Belgorod and other border incursions might not be quite as insignificant as at first thought. The fact that they are going almost unreported, but then they get an oblique mention in Putin's speech above, suggest they are a bit more than just an irritant.

There are at least three separate groups - the Siberian battalion, the Russian Volunteer Corps, and the Ichkeria battalion (Chechen separatists). No numbers have been mooted except the figure of 2500 from a Russian source.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I didn't appreciate that events in Belgorod and other border incursions might not be quite as insignificant as at first thought. The fact that they are going almost unreported, but then they get an oblique mention in Putin's speech above, suggest they are a bit more than just an irritant.

There are at least three separate groups - the Siberian battalion, the Russian Volunteer Corps, and the Ichkeria battalion (Chechen separatists). No numbers have been mooted except the figure of 2500 from a Russian source.
I guess 2500, with sufficient weaponry and transport, is enough to take 'control' of some villages or a small town...and see what happens. Will Russia send serious numbers of troops to counteract 🤔.

It's good that something, at least, happens on Russian territory. At a minimum, it's causing locals to question if Putin and Moscow cares about them at all.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
At first glance, this may not pass the 'so what' test, but look more closely, and you will find this:

'it affected the accounts of Uralkali company, businessman Ivan Tavrin, and the Coral Energy trading group, through which, according to the WSJ, Russia exports oil.

Is there more to come? A round of applause for the US State Department please 👏

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I guess 2500, with sufficient weaponry and transport, is enough to take 'control' of some villages or a small town...and see what happens. Will Russia send serious numbers of troops to counteract 🤔.

It's good that something, at least, happens on Russian territory. At a minimum, it's causing locals to question if Putin and Moscow cares about them at all.
Bear in mind the " Strong Man " image that Putin likes to portray does not sit well with incursions on to Russian soil that he can't deal with. The 3 day " Special Military Operation " is a disaster too as we move in to the third year. He was talking tough about what he would do with NATO being on his doorstep but behind him, he has Rats in his kitchen !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here