Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Wow - pretty impressive result. 88%. They must love him.

1710711273369.png

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
In unrelated news, 12% of the electorate turned up dead this evening dead in a freak mass suicide, having fired two bullets apiece in the back of their own heads within a shallow grave outside of Moscow.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hmmm I wonder?

Ukraine really fires a drone into Transnistria for the first time destroying a seperatist MIL helicopter?

Or Russia in a false flag, fires drone at its own MIL, blames Ukraine and uses that as a pretext to go into Transnistria to "protect" the Russian speakers and military equipment?

They've been laying ground to go into Transnistria for couple of months, including the puppet state sending a request to Putin to protect them (no doubt initiated by Putin).

All part of the charade?
Twitter talk is that this was an old out of service Helicopter but, covered by two video cameras which " luckily " captured the moment of destruction.

Transnistria could well become a flash point soon, it has a huge arms and shell dump which Russia and Ukraine both covet. The problem is, its heavily guarded and suspected to be booby trapped by the pro Russian militia based there. The standard cold War playbook will be to increase tension by numerous acts of sabotage until being " invited " in to protect the population and restrore order. Its a timeless set up that the Soviets and Russians have used for decades without a hint of shame.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Hmmm I wonder?

Ukraine really fires a drone into Transnistria for the first time destroying a seperatist MIL helicopter?

Or Russia in a false flag, fires drone at its own MIL, blames Ukraine and uses that as a pretext to go into Transnistria to "protect" the Russian speakers and military equipment?

They've been laying ground to go into Transnistria for couple of months, including the puppet state sending a request to Putin to protect them (no doubt initiated by Putin).

All part of the charade?
False flag is more likely... perfectly positioned camera etc

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I wonder how it feels to "win" when everyone, including himself, know it's a cheat?
Think you’d be better off asking that on the Man City forum

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Twitter talk is that this was an old out of service Helicopter but, covered by two video cameras which " luckily " captured the moment of destruction.

Transnistria could well become a flash point soon, it has a huge arms and shell dump which Russia and Ukraine both covet. The problem is, its heavily guarded and suspected to be booby trapped by the pro Russian militia based there. The standard cold War playbook will be to increase tension by numerous acts of sabotage until being " invited " in to protect the population and restrore order. Its a timeless set up that the Soviets and Russians have used for decades without a hint of shame.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I'm disappointed that the attack wasn't real. But the Ukrainians have got bigger fish to fry than clapped out helicopters. Back to oil refineries then....

(I don't usually make predictions, but the election will embolden Putin. Keep an eye out for his next strategic mistake).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
cant see Transnistria as anything more than sideshow. it has no port, Russia hasn't got the air assets to deploy around a hostile Ukraine. may be they drum up a reason for the seperatist there to attempt some western front in Ukraine, diverting resources and attention.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
cant see Transnistria as anything more than sideshow. it has no port, Russia hasn't got the air assets to deploy around a hostile Ukraine. may be they drum up a reason for the seperatist there to attempt some western front in Ukraine, diverting resources and attention.
I wouldn't be in a rush to downsize Transnistria to being a sideshow. There's a reason why Russia covets Transnistria.

While it hasn't got a port, Odesa isn't a million miles away. Transnistria could be the bridgehead Russia needs to take Odesa, control the whole of the Ukraine coast, snuff out the threat of Ukrainian maritime drones and thus reassert Russia's Black Sea capabilities. It could thus surround Ukraine on three sides and punch a hole in Ukraine's export economy.

Suddenly, it isn't a sideshow.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm disappointed that the attack wasn't real. But the Ukrainians have got bigger fish to fry than clapped out helicopters. Back to oil refineries then....

(I don't usually make predictions, but the election will embolden Putin. Keep an eye out for his next strategic mistake).
He'll go for another large military draft soon imho

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
He'll go for another large military draft soon imho
I think you are right. The numbers don't add up. After an initial draft of an announced '300,000', he has lost c400,000 troops, and has resorted to pardoning convicts and duping Indians, Nepalis, Africans/Somalis into signing up.

But will it be a draft too far for the Russian people, or even for the Kremlin elite? Will it be the strategic mistake we are all hoping for?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think you are right. The numbers don't add up. After an initial draft of an announced '300,000', he has lost c400,000 troops, and has resorted to pardoning convicts and duping Indians, Nepalis, Africans/Somalis into signing up.

But will it be a draft too far for the Russian people, or even for the Kremlin elite? Will it be the strategic mistake we are all hoping for?

Its been much mooted he'd do it after his sham election. But Ukraine also desperately needs more manpower and another draft......

I assumed? as it will be unpopular, that maybe Zelensky was waiting for Putin to do it first?, then he can use that event as cover/reasoning to also do it.

Could of course be wrong, but Ukraine needs more men/women too

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Its been much mooted he'd do it after his sham election. But Ukraine also desperately needs more manpower and another draft......

I assumed? as it will be unpopular, that maybe Zelensky was waiting for Putin to do it first?, then he can use that event as cover/reasoning to also do it.

Could of course be wrong, but Ukraine needs more men/women too
Yes, Ukraine absolutely needs more manpower (not to mention ammo), but Russia does seem to need more manpower to throw in the meat grinder. I'm not a military strategist, but I read somewhere that you need something like double the number of men to perform an offensive than hold a defensive line.

As an aside, I read an article about Ukrainian women being excellent at sniping. Some of them at least are already in combat.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Sadly I don't think this one will be the 'draft too far '. I imagine there are still plenty of ethnic minorities in the peripheral provinces to be drafted before Moscow and St P populations come into the sights.
Maybe a few videos of skirmishes around drafting stations in the rural provinces, but nothing the propaganda machine can't handle.
But, as you say, at SOME point...

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Yeah, we have to be careful not to get happy clappy (me especially!) about every bit of Russian stuff that gets blown up ...there will continue to be false flags.

I don't think Russia's blowing up it's own oil refineries though 😄

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here