Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Technically advanced protection for the Kerch bridge...
Yes, I saw that elsewhere. Desperate doesn't begin to describe it. The drip, drip, drip of Ukrainian resistance is taking its toll.

The report suggests an 'intellectual crisis' in Russia's military and political leadership.
Clearly Russia doesn't have, and cannot think of, a better solution. Withdrawal from a territory that is not part of Russia, hasn't crossed their minds.

As the pressure continues to mount on Putin, expect all manner of desperate measures, military threats, rhetoric, false victimhood, outrage on Russian state TV etc.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Message from my friend in Ukraine today
Difficult to believe that we are in 2023

Today is our Flag Day, so another flag has been added to my balcony.
Tomorrow is Independence Day and this holiday is perceived quite differently than before. Ruscism took a lot from each of us, not only Ukrainians. It took someone's whole life, someone's many happy years, someone's loved one, someone's child, someone's house, someone's freedom, someone's normal mental state, someone's confidence in the future.
They are thieves, murderers, terrorists. I believe they will be held accountable for their crimes. And every ruscist will receive a fair punishment.

Here's hoping

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Tomorrow is Independence Day and this holiday is perceived quite differently than before. Ruscism took a lot from each of us, not only Ukrainians. It took someone's whole life, someone's many happy years, someone's loved one, someone's child, someone's house, someone's freedom, someone's normal mental state, someone's confidence in the future.
They are thieves, murderers, terrorists. I believe they will be held accountable for their crimes. And every ruscist will receive a fair punishment.

Here's hoping
Yes, here's hoping 🤞

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Here's hoping
Very poignant. We are all with you and your friend Nobby.

Take comfort in the fact that Putin has trashed the future for Russia and Russians for generations.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yes, I saw that elsewhere. Desperate doesn't begin to describe it. The drip, drip, drip of Ukrainian resistance is taking its toll.

The report suggests an 'intellectual crisis' in Russia's military and political leadership.
Clearly Russia doesn't have, and cannot think of, a better solution. Withdrawal from a territory that is not part of Russia, hasn't crossed their minds.

As the pressure continues to mount on Putin, expect all manner of desperate measures, military threats, rhetoric, false victimhood, outrage on Russian state TV etc.
Unfortunately I can't see any of that and not sure how it suggests an intellectual crisis. Although not a military strategist I would have thought sinking those ferries in front of the bridge was a fairly quick and simple (albeit crude) way to nullify the threat of waterborne drones.

In my view this war has hit something of an impasse. With no more information than anyone else it seems to be that neither side are really achieving very much. I worry this might play into Putin's hands as the attention of the West could drift and then of course we have Trump next year. Putin might be thinking that he can play the long game, mad Donald takes the reins and lets Putin get on with it

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Unfortunately I can't see any of that and not sure how it suggests an intellectual crisis. Although not a military strategist I would have thought sinking those ferries in front of the bridge was a fairly quick and simple (albeit crude) way to nullify the threat of waterborne drones.

In my view this war has hit something of an impasse. With no more information than anyone else it seems to be that neither side are really achieving very much. I worry this might play into Putin's hands as the attention of the West could drift and then of course we have Trump next year. Putin might be thinking that he can play the long game, mad Donald takes the reins and lets Putin get on with it
You could well be right. Here's hoping Trump fails.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Baerbock is IMO a steady and consistent supporter of Ukraine.
"
The increase of drone strikes within Russia itself has also raised questions about Russia's ability to defend its interior.

Earlier today, German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said that Ukraine is within its rights under international law to launch strikes on Russian soil.

"Ukraine has a right enshrined in the UN Charter to defend its country," Bearbock said.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

An impasse is the fear. More clusters, more f16's and more effective ways to deal with those damn mines needed.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
But at what a devastating price for Ukraine :down:
Indeed.

It isn't much consolation for the devastation Ukraine has experienced, but Ukraine will be rebuilt by the combined efforts of the west.

Russia however, won't have anyone to rebuild its hollowed out economy. Except China, who will exert a high price. Good.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Fortunately, others are able to see it !

First, the bridge is 17 km long. The bridge also has two sides, providing 34 km of Russian bridge for target practice, from both seaborne and aerial attack. I don't know how long your average Russian ferry is, but Russia will need more than 6 sunken ferries, even if they are joined with booms.

Second, and this is the back story, but this isn't about the bridge at all. It's about Crimea. It is no longer viable for Russia to occupy a peninsula belonging to a nation it has just invaded and committed genocide in. Crimea will be subject to a never-ending war of attrition, insurgency and sabotage. No Russian will feel safe there. A retired UK general outlined the scenario when he said Ukraine may not need to deploy troops in Crimea at all. The Russian army in Crimea could wither on the vine.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

On August 23, 2023, around 10:00 a.m., an explosion occurred near the village of Olenivka on Cape Tarkhankut in the temporarily occupied Crimea, which destroyed the Russian S-400 "Triumph" long and medium-range anti-aircraft missile system.
If Ukraine want fighter jets, showing they can destroy anti aircraft missile systems won't do them any harm at all

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Although not a military strategist I would have thought sinking those ferries in front of the bridge was a fairly quick and simple (albeit crude) way to nullify the threat of waterborne drones.
Ukraine is VERY quickly becoming a world leader in not only the military application of drone warfare but the development of new drone tech.

They’re on the verge of a new drone sub, basically a torpedo which will take out that bridge with ease again and again. It can carry a payload as big as their drone boats and has a range of 1k kilometres.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Ukraine is VERY quickly becoming a world leader in not only the military application of drone warfare but the development of new drone tech.

They’re on the verge of a new drone sub, basically a torpedo which will take out that bridge with ease again and again. It can carry a payload as big as their drone boats and has a range of 1k kilometres.
Hopefully not until Russia has rebuilt it following the previous attack, and reported it with a fanfare on Russian state TV.

Then take it out again, before the first train goes across it. Job's a good'un. (y)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Do you have a link to a tech report on this please? 👍

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Oh I’m sure it has, but none of them are brave enough to tell Vlad that’s what needs to happen. Similar to German forces all over Europe in 1944/45, retreat and consolidation was the only realistic tactic but the Fuhrer insisted on attacking and counterattacking at every turn.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Do you have a link to a tech report on this please? 👍
I apologise, but I don’t. I read so much! It’ll come up again I’m sure when they use it in the coming weeks (my prediction) and I will share the reports then when they occur. Sorry! What I read re the new sub drone was VERY brief. (Actually saw a vid of testing a week or so ago too I think.) It’s BIG! A very big torpedo shaped thing. Reminded me of that death trap that visited the titanic recently. Makes sense though doesn’t it and in reality all the tech is available for this kind of application. I’m just surprised it’s not been done before but their immediate needs in Ukraine right now are very real/motivating and it’s just a case of tweaking/modifying everything they have learnt from developing the drone boats. Ukraine are EXCELLING in the development of cheap/sustainable/modern/adaptable/dynamic/mobile warfare (with the help of their allies obviously) in their fight against ultimately bigger numbers and huge/expensive/outdated equipment deployed by the Russians. The Russians role out a tank that costs 10’s of millions and the Ukrainians kill it with a £100 drone. Again and again and again, and the Russians are so arrogant and stubborn, they just don’t seem to learn or adapt at all. It’s brilliant!

What’s really satisfying to see is that the Russians are now implementing very, VERY crude nets and what look like climbing frames/cages above and around their multi million pound equipment to protect them from these cheap drones. It’s hilarious to see, and humiliating I imagine for the Russians, whose biggest downfall will be their stubborn arrogance re ‘how’ they’re fighting this war.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here