Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Now I don't know much about military strategy, but the thought does occur to me that time is on Ukraine's side in a number of ways. So they will be getting these fighter jets, Himars and Storm Shadows pound Russian logistics far more accurately that Russians pound theirs and cluster munitions are arriving in increasing number, which will again keep Russians pinned down. From what I read, the Russian artillery superiority is being ground down and sides are now reaching parity

What Ukraine really need are the forces in hand to exploit these advantages. So what if they put the off the large scale, heavy loss attritional infantry attacks and spend the coming months removing mines and finally getting rid of that bridge once and for all.

Again, I don;t claim to know more than the Ukraine experts on this.
Yes, but I think their problem is that they 'need' to (or feel they need to?) make visible territorial gains soon to convince the west to keep supplying weapons to them...as far as I can understand from media reports anyhow.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Interesting article about conversion to the F-16 from someone who knows a little bit about planes

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
It's an interesting thought. We'll only know something if it appears in memoirs in 15 years
I remember talking to a British army fitness instructor who had had dealings with SAS.
I remember him saying that these guys can disappear in a shadow and you won't know
they're there until it's too late.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's an interesting thought. We'll only know something if it appears in memoirs in 15 years
True. Although various sources including the BE have disclosed they are in country “training the Ukrainian troops and intelligence gathering”

Not sure how reliable this all is but…

“2021​

April: A “small team of UK special forces” was deployed to Ukraine in an apparent intelligence-gathering mission (Mirror)

This small SAS team has concluded that Russia was conducting a series of ceasefire violations across the Donetsk region in eastern Ukraine (Express)

June: In a press release, the British Embassy in Kiev, Ukraine stated that the UK Minister for Defence Procurement and Deputy Defence Minister of Ukraine “observed joint training activity of Ukrainian, UK and US Special forces”. This would suggest that there is a training operation of UK special forces in Ukraine (UK Defence Journal)”

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
True. Although various sources including the BE have disclosed they are in country “training the Ukrainian troops and intelligence gathering”

Not sure how reliable this all is but…

“2021​

April: A “small team of UK special forces” was deployed to Ukraine in an apparent intelligence-gathering mission (Mirror)

This small SAS team has concluded that Russia was conducting a series of ceasefire violations across the Donetsk region in eastern Ukraine (Express)

June: In a press release, the British Embassy in Kiev, Ukraine stated that the UK Minister for Defence Procurement and Deputy Defence Minister of Ukraine “observed joint training activity of Ukrainian, UK and US Special forces”. This would suggest that there is a training operation of UK special forces in Ukraine (UK Defence Journal)”
Yep, probably no smoke without fire 👍

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Moscow said that a drone was hit by small-arms fire but managed to "damage" a plane. 🤣
eng_pl_Just-A-Flesh-Wound-2361_2.png

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The Ukrainian drones can't just reach Moscow now. They can now reach Russia's second city, and Putin's place of birth, St Petersburg.
Ok, some 'confirmation' here that certain drone types are almost certainly launched within Russia. Great 👏👏 to read. No target is really off the menu then.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Ok, some 'confirmation' here that certain drone types are almost certainly launched within Russia. Great 👏👏 to read. No target is really off the menu then.
There's a lot of meat in that report.

'The Ukrainian news outlet New Voice (NV) reported on Aug. 21 that agents cooperating with Ukrainian military intelligence have destroyed or damaged five Russian aircraft.'

So, agents are operating inside Russia, and they are probably not Ukrainian.

'NV also reported that on the morning of Aug. 21, two more Russian bombers were damaged in Russia's Kaluga Oblast at the Shaykovka airfield as a result of a drone attack carried out by saboteurs working with the Ukrainian Defense Ministry's Intelligence Directorate.'

So, saboteurs, not part of the Ukrainian Defense Ministry. Same conclusion as above.

'The U.K. Defense Ministry noted that the successful attacks within Russia's rear raise questions about Russia's ability to protect strategic locations deep inside the country.'

(..)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
There's a lot of meat in that report.

'The Ukrainian news outlet New Voice (NV) reported on Aug. 21 that agents cooperating with Ukrainian military intelligence have destroyed or damaged five Russian aircraft.'

So, agents are operating inside Russia, and they are probably not Ukrainian.

'NV also reported that on the morning of Aug. 21, two more Russian bombers were damaged in Russia's Kaluga Oblast at the Shaykovka airfield as a result of a drone attack carried out by saboteurs working with the Ukrainian Defense Ministry's Intelligence Directorate.'

So, saboteurs, not part of the Ukrainian Defense Ministry. Same conclusion as above.

'The U.K. Defense Ministry noted that the successful attacks within Russia's rear raise questions about Russia's ability to protect strategic locations deep inside the country.'

(..)
Before the war I believe tens of thousands of Ukrainians worked in Russia - I have no idea how many may have stayed after the invasion 🤔.
Perhaps some agents are in fact Ukrainian? Anyhow, it's good the agents can cause really serious problems for Russia 👍

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Before the war I believe tens of thousands of Ukrainians worked in Russia - I have no idea how many may have stayed after the invasion 🤔.
Perhaps some agents are in fact Ukrainian? Anyhow, it's good the agents can cause really serious problems for Russia 👍
Yes, you could be right. Perhaps some agents are Ukrainian, although I would have thought that ethnic Ukrainians based in Russia, would have been rounded up by now.
Like yourself, I have no idea of the numbers. Any remaining might be recruited to form a support network for foreign agents, who although smaller in number, would be highly trained in reconnaissance, intelligence gathering, sabotage, you name it.

Don't forget that Russia has the longest borders of any country. They will be easy to cross. Russia cannot possibly defend all of them.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Yes, you could be right. Perhaps some agents are Ukrainian, although I would have thought that ethnic Ukrainians based in Russia, would have been rounded up by now.
Like yourself, I have no idea of the numbers. Any remaining might be recruited to form a support network for foreign agents, who although smaller in number, would be highly trained in reconnaissance, intelligence gathering, sabotage, you name it.

Don't forget that Russia has the longest borders of any country. They will be easy to cross. Russia cannot possibly defend all of them.
I think that’s highly likely. Since the annexation of Crimea in 2014, Ukraine has had plenty of time to plant “sleepers” in Russia. Perhaps too they’ve linked up with Russian nationalist / anti Putin groups.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here