Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Oh Dear Vlad, that's a few more miles of frontier to look after... :thumbsup:

Finland reversing it's neutrality since 1945, with a new 830 mile NATO border that Russia can't man, and a military of c.200,000.

This is the direct polar opposite of Putin's stated aim at the beginning of his war. He wanted less NATO, but now he's got even more NATO.

And it's all, all of it, entirely his own fault. (y)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Finland reversing it's neutrality since 1945, with a new 830 mile NATO border that Russia can't man, and a military of c.200,000.

This is the direct polar opposite of Putin's stated aim at the beginning of his war. He wanted less NATO, but now he's got even more NATO.

And it's all, all of it, entirely his own fault. (y)
watched something explaining the significance of Finland. it's not just that long border, its that incursion from Finland would cut off Murmansk and the Russian Northern Fleet, home to majority of their worships. its only viable with a neutral Finland. silly Vlad.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Errrrm, you do understand the difference between the UN and NATO, yes?
Of course.

Peace and Security

The Security Council has primary responsibility for the maintenance of international peace and security. It has 15 Members, and each Member has one vote. Under the Charter of the United Nations, all Member States are obligated to comply with Council decisions.

The Security Council takes the lead in determining the existence of a threat to the peace or act of aggression. It calls upon the parties to a dispute to settle it by peaceful means and recommends methods of adjustment or terms of settlement. In some cases, the Security Council can resort to imposing sanctions or even authorize the use of force to maintain or restore international peace and security.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
The Fins kicked Russia's arse back in 1940, no reason to think they wouldn't do so again. Top bombing Vlad...
Also, the Finns have more artillery munitions than any other nation apparently.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
watched something explaining the significance of Finland. it's not just that long border, its that incursion from Finland would cut off Murmansk and the Russian Northern Fleet, home to majority of their worships. its only viable with a neutral Finland. silly Vlad.
Ah, I hadn't clocked that - thank you. I've long been aware that Russia coveted Crimea to bag themselves a warm water port (without checking, I assume Murmansk and Vladivostok ice over in winter). From a defensive POV, Finland in Nato suddenly by putting Murmansk in jeopardy, takes on a new significance. Sevastopol in Crimea is already in jeopardy, with Russia's Black Sea fleet confined to harbour by Ukraine, who don't even have a navy !

Edit: I've discovered that Murmansk doesn't freeze over in winter, due to the Gulf Stream, but St. Petersburg does freeze over, so from December to May, Murmansk replaces icebound St. Petersburg as the major port of the northwest.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Fins kicked Russia's arse back in 1940, no reason to think they wouldn't do so again. Top bombing Vlad...
Not just in 1940 either, Finland has a long history of kicking Russian arse when they come to play on their lawn.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Not just in 1940 either, Finland has a long history of kicking Russian arse when they come to play on their lawn.
They've only got a population of 5.5 million, about the same as Denmark or Scotland. Russia has some 144 million.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
They've only got a population of 5.5 million, about the same as Denmark or Scotland. Russia has some 144 million.
5.5m people who love vodka and heavy metal. I wouldn’t want to f*** with them.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Interesting that Sweden are still being blocked. Turkey appear to be blocking them because they believe there are terrorists there and have demanded their extradition, which seems fair enough if they think they have a case. But Hungary are also blocking them and are being extremely vague about their reasons for doing so. Victor Orban has well-documented links to Moscow, I wonder if there’s leverage being applied…

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Interesting that Sweden are still being blocked. Turkey appear to be blocking them because they believe there are terrorists there and have demanded their extradition, which seems fair enough if they think they have a case. But Hungary are also blocking them and are being extremely vague about their reasons for doing so. Victor Orban has well-documented links to Moscow, I wonder if there’s leverage being applied…
I was pleasantly surprised those two didn't find reasons to block Finland for longer.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
I suggest you read up on Finland.

Also i read somewhere that Finland have been preparing for an invasion from Russia since world war 2.

Any Country thinking of invading Finland would lose many troops and equipment.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I suggest you read up on Finland.

Also i read somewhere that Finland have been preparing for an invasion from Russia since world war 2.

Any Country thinking of invading Finland would lose many troops and equipment.
I did read up on Finland. That's how I knew the population is 5.5 million. My comment was entirely factual.

My underlying point, which you missed, was that Finland punches above its weight ! I could have been clearer about it though.

As an aside, it is worth noting that all the time Finland has been preparing for an invasion from Russia, it has done it from a neutral standpoint, without the protection of the Nato umbrella. Extraordinary.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I did read up on Finland. That's how I knew the population is 5.5 million. My comment was entirely factual.

My underlying point, which you missed, was that Finland punches above its weight ! I could have been clearer about it though.

As an aside, it is worth noting that all the time Finland has been preparing for an invasion from Russia, it has done it from a neutral standpoint, without the protection of the Nato umbrella. Extraordinary.
Finland wouldn't be as strong a Partner within NATO as Sweden would be - I watched a programme the other night on both of their Military capabilities. Finland's capabilities are nowhere near as strong as Sweden - Finland do however provide that Defensive ''Buffer Zone '' geographically. Their physical fighting capabilities would be high also because although they have a small Army, their ''Reservists'' are large in number.

Conversely - Sweden following the break up of the SAAB Motor Industry. General Motors bought the majority of SAAB ( The Domestic Car Production part ) - The part that remained now produces solely for the Swedish Government of Fighter planes and other Military Equipment. That's what would make them a far better and stronger NATO Partner than Finland

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Finland wouldn't be as strong a Partner within NATO as Sweden would be - I watched a programme the other night on both of their Military capabilities. Finland's capabilities are nowhere near as strong as Sweden - Finland do however provide that Defensive ''Buffer Zone '' geographically. Their physical fighting capabilities would be high also because although they have a small Army, their ''Reservists'' are large in number.

Conversely - Sweden following the break up of the SAAB Motor Industry. General Motors bought the majority of SAAB ( The Domestic Car Production part ) - The part that remained now produces solely for the Swedish Government of Fighter planes and other Military Equipment. That's what would make them a far better and stronger NATO Partner than Finland
That's good info - I didn't know any of that.

What a monumental blunder by Putin to oblige Sweden and Finland to join NATO, in Finland's case reversing 78 years of neutrality. Let's hope he maintains his form.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
0443E11E-9E49-46D2-A79E-BD23E4541288.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here