Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My cousin had the same in 1971, he was eligible for being drafted and sent to Vietnam. He kept a bag packed ready to bolt to Canada and back to the UK from there but fortunately the call-up never came.
Same for my dad in '68.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

FFS how bad is their carless smoking habit in Russia these days? Another abandoned cigarette and up goes another military building.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Very Interesting.

Serb agents in with the Partizan Belgrade fans to cause disorder with the home fans in Transnistria - escalating to little green men appearing and the coup in Moldova ?

It'd be very bad news for both Moldova and Ukraine.

I assume Romania and the US have it covered and are ready to cross the border if required.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Very Interesting.

Serb agents in with the Partizan Belgrade fans to cause disorder with the home fans in Transnistria - escalating to little green men appearing and the coup in Moldova ?

It'd be very bad news for both Moldova and Ukraine.

I assume Romania and the US have it covered and are ready to cross the border if required.

Yes, Russia will cause trouble wherever possible, and some Serbs willing to participate in it.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Fascinating listening to BBC radio 4 PM tonight. Steve Rosenburgh BBC’s Russia correspondent went north of Moscow to talk to a young woman who,was under house arrest for posting on Facebook doubts about the war. He then interviewed locals on the high street who all declared support for the war citing Ukraine was always part of Russia and that it was the west invading Russia and that the west has always wanted to invade Russia and gain control of its gas, oil etc.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fascinating listening to BBC radio 4 PM tonight. Steve Rosenburgh BBC’s Russia correspondent went north of Moscow to talk to a young woman who,was under house arrest for posting on Facebook doubts about the war. He then interviewed locals on the high street who all declared support for the war citing Ukraine was always part of Russia and that it was the west invading Russia and that the west has always wanted to invade Russia and gain control of its gas, oil etc.
Poor deluded fools

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It's that pervasive(?) Russian attitude that depresses me and makes me think there is no solution other than a new iron curtain shutting them away. Just a case now of as much of Ukraine as possible being on our side of the curtain. Grim.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Loads of updates from CNN:

But if I had to choose one CNN update to highlight, it would be this one:

'Russia targeting Luhansk region in order to "sell" military victory: The head of the Luhansk region military administration has said Moscow wants to "sell" a victory to the Russian people by conquering what is the smallest de-occupied territory in Ukraine. This task "seems the easiest for the Russian occupation troops," Serhiy Hayday said.'

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Interesting series on bbc2: Putin v the West. Perhaps doesn’t tell us much that we don’t already know, but interesting to hear the views of the key players in the lead up to the invasion…leading to the obvious conclusions that you should never believe anything the Russians tell you and they’ll take full advantage of any perceived weakness ( eg the west’s response to Crimea in 2014).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's that pervasive(?) Russian attitude that depresses me and makes me think there is no solution other than a new iron curtain shutting them away.
That's definitely not the only possible solution. A better life waits for Russians, if they're lucky enough to see a better leader.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Vast majority of Russians who are prepared to talk openly to the BBC will be supporters of the war anyway. The (admittedly a minority I'm afraid) who are against the war are in the main too scared to say so in public.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
BBC radio and TV on all issues lately are using the same reports …. I assume a sensible cost saving thing. So she was on the BBC TV news too. The authorities are calling her a traitor to Russian servicemen, simply for being anti the war.

Russia is a police state, similar to Germany 1933-1945, North Korea, Iran and China now. Dissenters disappear forever, females of any age are taken away to be gang raped by security forces. They’re as evil as that. Opposition politicians are now caged in Siberia, unlikely to see daylight again. It’s worsened over the last 12 months, initially large numbers of Russians protested and spoke to western journalists. Western journalists are tailed by thugs. The inevitable result, Putin ‘wins’, the man or woman on the street either supports the war or pretends that they do.

Please don’t read anything valid from those interviews.

Another reason why ALL of Ukraine should remain free of the grip from fascism.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
This is a gut-wrenching read.

'Report says Russian government is operating network of camps where it has held thousands of Ukrainian children since start of war'

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
This is
'Report says Russian government is operating network of camps where it has held thousands of Ukrainian
This is a gut-wrenching read.

'Report says Russian government is operating network of camps where it has held thousands of Ukrainian children since start of war'

A real life Fascist dystopia.
f***ing savages

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
That's definitely not the only possible solution. A better life waits for Russians, if they're lucky enough to see a better leader.
A better leader is only a solution until that leader is then replaced by another imperialist leader.

The Russian colonial Federation needs to be broken up and then Muscovy will be too small to threaten the World again. Until then it needs to be contained.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
A better leader is only a solution until that leader is then replaced by another imperialist leader.

The Russian colonial Federation needs to be broken up and then Muscovy will be too small to threaten the World again. Until then it needs to be contained.
I don't think another imperialist leader, whether next or after a better leader, is a foregone conclusion. Far from it.

But I do think the break up of the Russian Federation is possible. Perhaps it is even likely.

I see signs of it now. The 'suicide' of the bloke in charge of counter extremism, meaning what Putin sees as extremism is not being contained all that well. Then there's the 40% budget increase for internal security. This means Putin is expecting internal unrest. We already know of unrest in Dagestan and elsewhere in the tinderbox of the Caucasus.

Then consider the long term effects of sanctions. How will Moscow exercise its power when Muscovites can't even get to the far flung parts of the federation, without planes and trains?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here