Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Better images of the damage in daylight

[tweet]1578638416194912256[/tweet]

That railway bridge looks structurally compromised to my untrained eye, seems to have bowed? Even if the deck is fine that railway will be utterly screwed, will need a complete stripping back and relaying plus likely full resignalling. That’ll take at least a month given the staff and equipment (if it’s even available) isn’t there ready to go.

Just a 5 minute job.

Dec 29, 2011
Yeh they're not repairing that railway bridge in a few days. It's bowing badly, just getting the existing train off it will be a challenge.

And that assumes Ukraine don't hit it again, which presumably they can. How much money would you want to be spending all day every day on that bridge?

Sent from my M2101K9G using Tapatalk

Should probably wait for it to be fixed before hitting it again. Putin will be more pissed knowing it was likely Western intelligence (CIA/MI6) that provided all the Intel for this attack.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The road sections will take weeks/months. The rail section looks like it could be repaired in a few days. Maybe a bit longer if the guys that would normally do the work have been mobilised, or gone on holiday to Kazakhstan.

They've got to try and move the train first without the bridge collapsing, If the train will move that is?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Bit of gaffer tape and no more nails should do the trick!

The bridge will be up and running in no time :whistle:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Slightly different circumstances but after the Summit Tunnel Fire in 1984 it took them nearly two months to remove the burnt out wagons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summit_Tunnel_fire

Going to take a while to move that train, they can pull movable bits from each end but very likely the burnt out wagons will be almost welded to buckled rails. Going to be very difficult to bring a crane in to lift out wagons and sections of rail as well.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Going to take a while to move that train, they can pull movable bits from each end but very likely the burnt out wagons will be almost welded to buckled rails. Going to be very difficult to bring a crane in to lift out wagons and sections of rail as well.

The Russians reckon the railway will be open again at 8pm tonight! :lolol: ???

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Russia is saying a truck blowing up caused the damage, but somehow two sections of the road bridge 100m or more apart are collapsed?
In one video white foamy wave appears just under the bridge immediately before the explosion, could be just a wave caused by wind, or by an incoming rocket.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Russians reckon the railway will be open again at 8pm tonight! :lolol: ???

Ordinarily I’d say “if anyone believes that, I have a bridge to sell you” but TBH that might be their plan.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Without a hint of self awareness or irony, the Russian spokeswoman Maria Zakharova says the reaction in Kyiv testified to what she called the terrorist nature of the incident.

Oh really?! Looks like a legitimate target to strike in a war Ukraine didn't start. Will reduce Russias ability to defend Crimea. Oh dear what a shame never mind.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Better images of the damage in daylight

[tweet]1578638416194912256[/tweet]

That railway bridge looks structurally compromised to my untrained eye, seems to have bowed? Even if the deck is fine that railway will be utterly screwed, will need a complete stripping back and relaying plus likely full resignalling. That’ll take at least a month given the staff and equipment (if it’s even available) isn’t there ready to go.

From the photos I've seen I think it's just the access gantry on the side that's visibly bowing. If they can clear the track they can probably "reopen" it quite quickly with a bit of effort, but without looking more closely there's no way to know from the photos what sort of structural damage might have been done. They might just run something light across it to claim it's back in action.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Russia is saying a truck blowing up caused the damage, but somehow two sections of the road bridge 100m or more apart are collapsed?
In one video white foamy wave appears just under the bridge immediately before the explosion, could be just a wave caused by wind, or by an incoming rocket.
I don't know what caused the explosion, the wave wasn't caused by an incoming rocket.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

This will be a "Bridge on the river Kwai" type job - UK SBS or US Navy Seals in mini-subs laying explosives on a timer and slipping away until KAABOOM!!

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
It isn’t up to one person, thankfully. I gave the example of the Russian submarine off the coast of Cuba in 1962, a couple of weeks ago.
The order to fire a missile came through, but it needed the agreement of three Russian Naval officers. One disagreed, and the missile wasn’t fired.
I was under the impression the order did not come through because they had no communication with the Kremlin. It was a commander who wanted to launch to launch the missile because he thought a nuclear weapon had been launched, it was a lowly seaman who stopped him from launching a missile because no order had come through. Happily to be proved wrong.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Looks like three sections to me

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was under the impression the order did not come through because they had no communication with the Kremlin. It was a commander who wanted to launch to launch the missile because he thought a nuclear weapon had been launched, it was a lowly seaman who stopped him from launching a missile because no order had come through. Happily to be proved wrong.

Vasily Arkhipov was an officer not a lowly seamen. Look up his story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here