Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Grim reports of mass graves and civilian murders in Kyiv oblast.
The footage is very bad.

Putin needs to be charged and sent to the Hague for trial.

It's not possible to give him any face saving options now - he has no face left to save.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
The footage is very bad.

Putin needs to be charged and sent to the Hague for trial.

It's not possible to give him any face saving options now - he has no face left to save.

I can't see how the Russians can possibly deny this now. Hopefully this will shift the position of some of those countries who are still not denouncing them. Looking straight at you, India.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This is an interesting article, written in 2016, after Russia's annexation of Crimea.

https://www.businessinsider.com/10-maps-that-explain-russias-strategy-2016-1?r=US&IR=T

It provides historical, topographical and ethnic context to Russia's strategy along its western border, in a series of maps.

All well and good but this is the 21st Century. The west is not seeking to expand other than on the basis of treaties. Russia would have no problem if it engaged with the World as a trading nation rather than an imperialist one!

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
All well and good but this is the 21st Century. The west is not seeking to expand other than on the basis of treaties. Russia would have no problem if it engaged with the World as a trading nation rather than an imperialist one!

The entirety of Russian thinking seems to be stuck in the 19th century.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Agreed. We all know what Russia could be like if it engaged with the world, but the fact is that it doesn't.

So either we have to devise a route map to get to that point, or contain Russia, or engineer its break up.

The US has decided not to go toe to toe militarily with Russia, even though it exceeds Russia's military power.
Fortunately, it has decided to exercise its superior economic power instead. The international currency of exchange is the USD. Other countries, from Japan to the UK follow suit. The US doesn't want to rule the world, but it does anyway.

Russia is now finding this out.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
"Never Again"

Total oil and gas sanctions needed today.

Also UN peacekeepers needed in Ukraine. Russia will need to be removed from the UN Security Council so it can't veto this.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm absolutely outraged that this is happening in Europe in 2022. The UN, NATO, the International courts have all been powerless to stop this invasion and take action against the current War Crimes that have been committed.

These organisations are not fit for purpose if Putin can just ignore them or veto at will. I despair for the poor Ukrainians they have been abandoned..Putin must go on trial.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A bit of good news in the darkness :

[Tweet]1510550414365757440[/Tweet]

Everything possible now needs to be done by the international community to make that site as safe as possible.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't see how the Russians can possibly deny this now.
Then you've not been watching anything to do with Russia. These crimes are clearly being committed by Ukraine, which is exactly the reason Russia needed their special operation to stop it in the first place etc etc.

Of course it's all nonsense and everyone knows it, but countries like China and India are refusing to condemn it because they don't give a shit about human life and just do whatever suits them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agreed. We all know what Russia could be like if it engaged with the world, but the fact is that it doesn't.

So either we have to devise a route map to get to that point, or contain Russia, or engineer its break up.
I think the West's job should have been to help defend those around Russia while reducing our dependence on their fossil fuels (Germany) and offering Russia incentives to play nice. I don't think we should be playing with their break up, because that's the kind of aggression they're claiming from us.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I am turning round to the idea of Nato going on the offensive against Russia. Rape, massacre, sex traffickers abducting women and children on the Polish border, transporting people to concentration camps and gulags, mass graves. All Putin’s doing.
This cannot be allowed to continue unabated.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am turning round to the idea of Nato going on the offensive against Russia. Rape, massacre, sex traffickers abducting women and children on the Polish border. All Putin’s doing.

As the old saying goes, if that happens you can stick your head between your legs and kiss your arse goodbye.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am turning round to the idea of Nato going on the offensive against Russia.
It would be interesting for allied experts to discuss the likely outcome of taking a new stance like that, telling China in advance: eg, in one week we will announce that we will act militarily, and Russia will no doubt threaten nuclear war, which China will end up being a part of - if that's not what you want, you've got one week to talk Putin down first.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm waiting for the final thread in this trilogy.

The first 2 options get us nowhere.

1. North Korea Russia
2. Imperial reboot ( what can be given by a good Tsar can be just as easily taken away )

[Tweet]1509968359483445256[/Tweet]

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As the old saying goes, if that happens you can stick your head between your legs and kiss your arse goodbye.

I know. That’s a very real possibility. Whatever way this goes, if we all survive, until he is caught and executed Putin must never again be allowed to feel like a free man.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I am turning round to the idea of Nato going on the offensive against Russia. Rape, massacre, sex traffickers abducting women and children on the Polish border, transporting people to concentration camps and gulags, mass graves. All Putin’s doing.
I now think it requires a UN military mission backed by resolve to fire back at Russian troops ( ie learn from Srebrenica ).

It would require Russia and it's veto being booted off the UN Security Council though. But then there was never a vote on Russia taking the USSR's place on the council anyway...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I now think it requires a UN military mission backed by resolve to fire back at Russian troops ( ie learn from Srebrenica ).

It would require Russia and it's veto being booted off the UN Security Council though. But then there was never a vote on Russia taking the USSR's place on the council anyway...

Putin is clearly a psychopath so this would end in WW3. Squeeze the life out of them via crippling sanctions - at some point the finger will be pointed at the ******** who started it all and hopefully there will be a Zhukov/Beria moment...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Putin is clearly a psychopath so this would end in WW3. Squeeze the life out of them via crippling sanctions - at some point the finger will be pointed at the ******** who started it all and hopefully there will be a Zhukov/Beria moment...
Start by removing Russia from the UN Security Council and freeing that organisation up from Russia's paralysing veto.

There was no legal mechanism for Russia to take over the USSR seat it was just assumed. Let's put that to the vote now.

Complete Oil and Gas sanctions need to start today.

"Never Again".

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Then you've not been watching anything to do with Russia. These crimes are clearly being committed by Ukraine, which is exactly the reason Russia needed their special operation to stop it in the first place etc etc.

Of course it's all nonsense and everyone knows it, but countries like China and India are refusing to condemn it because they don't give a shit about human life and just do whatever suits them.
Indeed. And it's no good us shouting "But it's the truth!!", we know it is, but the Russians think the exact opposite. And even if we could somehow hack into all their broadcasting and show evidence of all the Russian atrocities - they still wouldn't believe it. After all there are millions of American who sincerely believe that Donald Trump won the last election. And if you could do a Venn diagram I'm sure there would be a large intersection of people who believe that and also sincerely believe that the world was created in six days a few thousand years ago. And they believe this in spite of all the evidence to the contrary that is freely-available to them, so there is very little chance of any brainwashed, truth-deprived Russian changing their mind.

And, even though hopefully they know the truth, the likes of India and China are happy to go along with it, rather like a lot of Trump-sceptic Republicans, because to NOT do so implies you're supporting the other side.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
While sanctions is the sensible option, there's no guarantee alternatives would lead to WW3, but it is a risk, which we don't want to be taking.

Are the sanctions as they stand enough? Gas prices are up, and everyone's still buying it, so I don't see how the other sanctions will do enough. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here