Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Worth a repost: "Most fascinating thing about the Ukraine war is the sheer number of top strategic thinkers who warned for years that it was coming if we continued down the same path. No-one listened to them and here we are".

https://twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1498491107902062592?s=20&t=hbenIPz4RXW4QtrENq_Chg

Indeed, Garry Kasparov amongst them many years ago when he stated:

We cannot know exactly what horror will come next, only that there will be another and another as long as Putin remains in power. The only way Putin’s rule will end is if the Russian people and Putin’s elites understand they have no future as long as he is there. Right now, no matter how they really feel about Putin and their lives, they see him as invincible and unmovable. They see him getting his way in Ukraine, taking territory and waging war. They see him talking tough and making deals with Merkel and Hollande. They see his enemies dead in the streets of Moscow.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The West is at fault with our acceptance of their filthy money and business and because we thought history was somehow over. Putin was always going to try something like this. NATO or no NATO.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The West is at fault with our acceptance of their filthy money and business and because we thought history was somehow over. Putin was always going to try something like this. NATO or no NATO.

I remember telling Chelsea friends decades ago that they had blood on their hands, no Russian gets that wealthy without many people paying. Of course none cared. Complicity exists at every level. Probably the chief reason amongst many why I’ve always despised Chelsea.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You have to ask yourself why some of these oligarchs are still enjoying sanction free lives? :shrug:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
efforts for what? to embrace the Russian nation and invite them join in on the ideals of market economies, liberal democracy and improvements those ideals bring? absolutly, we've tried to bring them into the fold, overlooking a lot of their domestic habits, to show that trade is the way to prosperity. not that you'd know this from some peoples reaction.

if no one is at war, NATO becomes a bit redundant, not a threat. see how Germany has run done their defense funding, only now to suddenly reinstate the 2% GDP spending.

I wonder if this also means the UK government now reverse some of the defence cuts that have happened over the years. Most of the retired generals think this is a no brainer

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I think it is likely that he is right.

The west (US, UK and 27 members of the EU) got together and came up with a suite of sanctions which are designed to, and I quote Ursula von der Leyen, 'cripple' the Russian economy.
This is unprecedented.

Have a read of this from CNN:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/01/business/russia-economy-sanctions/index.html

It's an interesting read, but touches on a point that's been nagging away at the back of my mind for a few days now:

Further escalation of the economic conflict could have major consequences.
"Don't forget that in human history, economic wars quite often turned into real ones," former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said Thursday in response to Le Maire's comments.

I appreciate the west's options are limited right now. It cannot intervene militarily in Ukraine, and these unprecedentedly heavy sanctions will no doubt be hurting Putin's Russia. And of course, given that it's essentially the world against Russia at the moment, it cannot effectively counter-sanction.

Is there a point though, whereby Putin is losing the battle, not only through economic sanctions but also through the supply of weapons and defence equipment to the Ukranian military, that he decides the west is already at war with him?

Don't get me wrong, I personally feel western governments have just about got this right and done everything they realistically could within the parameters at play, but at the same time that takes us perilously close to 'too much', doesn't it? The Russian bear needs poking, but at the same time it makes me more than a little anxious that it may awaken in a foul mood.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I wonder if this also means the UK government now reverse some of the defence cuts that have happened over the years. Most of the retired generals think this is a no brainer

Absolutely. British Aerospace shares are up 25% in one week.

Expect more defence spending, and more NATO. Much more.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Very good debate on the matter on Moral Maze now on BBC Radio 4.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It's an interesting read, but touches on a point that's been nagging away at the back of my mind for a few days now:

I appreciate the west's options are limited right now. It cannot intervene militarily in Ukraine, and these unprecedentedly heavy sanctions will no doubt be hurting Putin's Russia. And of course, given that it's essentially the world against Russia at the moment, it cannot effectively counter-sanction.

Is there a point though, whereby Putin is losing the battle, not only through economic sanctions but also through the supply of weapons and defence equipment to the Ukranian military, that he decides the west is already at war with him?

Don't get me wrong, I personally feel western governments have just about got this right and done everything they realistically could within the parameters at play, but at the same time that takes us perilously close to 'too much', doesn't it? The Russian bear needs poking, but at the same time it makes me more than a little anxious that it may awaken in a foul mood.

Yes, I saw that from Medvedev. Russians do like to make threats don't they? That's how they operate. Unnerve the opposition. Put them on the back foot. Make them wonder what your next move is. As we have seen in Ukraine, the Russian war machine is not all that though, is it? I mean, it's pretty basic stuff to ensure your troops are well fed, and your vehicles are well maintained and refuelled easily, isn't it? The reality is the product of decades of corruption, theft, low pay and low morale.

Whether or not the Russian bear needs poking, I think Ursula von der Leyen is doing an excellent job of declawing it. Claw by claw.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

Indeed it is a big worry that we have already declared economic war on Russia and this could lead to a military war response from them (outside of Ukraine).

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Yes, I saw that from Medvedev. Russians do like to make threats don't they? That's how they operate. Unnerve the opposition. Put them on the back foot. Make them wonder what your next move is. As we have seen in Ukraine, the Russian war machine is not all that though, is it? I mean, it's pretty basic stuff to ensure your troops are well fed, and your vehicles are well maintained and refuelled easily, isn't it? The reality is the product of decades of corruption, theft, low pay and low morale.

Whether or not the Russian bear needs poking, I think Ursula von der Leyen is doing an excellent job of declawing it. Claw by claw.

One word: nukes

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I remember telling Chelsea friends decades ago that they had blood on their hands, no Russian gets that wealthy without many people paying. Of course none cared. Complicity exists at every level. Probably the chief reason amongst many why I’ve always despised Chelsea.

Yep. Russian sports washing has been incredibly successful over the past 20 years - see also, Gazprom, the World Cup, Winter Olympics etc.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
One word: nukes

Then you are advocating surrender. To the one who shouts the loudest.

Stand firm.

I cannot tell you how impressed I am with 1) Zelensky and 2) Ursula von der Leyen.

They are facing down the Russian bear. The bullying. The strong arm tactics.

You can do it as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here