Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
When the invasion happened I don't think anyone thought that by the time we'd start arriving back home from the Villa game Kyiv wouldn't have been taken, which is a win in itself

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
When the invasion happened I don't think anyone thought that by the time we'd start arriving back home from the Villa game Kyiv wouldn't have been taken, which is a win in itself
Win for the short term, lose for the long term.

Putin has already threatened to use the most powerful, non nuclear bombs to attack/level Ukraine if he believes his army can't take it quick enough.

Which would cause an untold amount of innocent civilians to be killed.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This, regrettably, seems inevitable. Putin will not lose this war (at least in the military sense) - the stronger the Ukrainian resistance, the stronger the Russian retaliation will be. For stronger, you can also read more indiscriminate, as thermobaric weapons are. He seems solely focused on winning this war, at any humanitarian cost.

That is, worryingly, a Hitler-seque mentality.

At the same time, the harder he hits, the more his own people will turn against him. So it may hasten his demise, as horrific as it might be.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Was there world sanctions given to the USA coalition in bombing Iraq and Afghanistan in trying to implement their own puppet governments?
The Russians basically carpet bombed Chechnya into submission, but as they were Muslims that was acceptable.
The Soviet Union cold war was already won, so why try bring NATO on its door step now ?
Putin had said even though he believes Ukraine is historically part of Russia, that if they stayed neutral and not wished to join NATO this could have been avoided.

The age of TV and mobile phones is a good propaganda tool. Russia could have been more brutal and won this war quicker, but don't want to cause too many civillian casualties in an era where the worlds media is looking in, but maybe not so much in other conflicts.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
At the same time, the harder he hits, the more his own people will turn against him. So it may hasten his demise, as horrific as it might be.
Being the mad man he is, and what he has already alluded to doing, I can only but imagine him personally firing nukes (or at least trying to do so) as a last stand sort of thing before his demise

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Germany is to send 1,000 anti-tank weapons and 500 "Stinger" surface-to-air missiles to Ukraine, the government in Berlin confirms.

The move marks a major change from its long-standing policy of banning weapon exports to conflict zones.

"In this situation, it is our duty to support Ukraine to the best of our ability in its defence against Vladimir Putin's invading army," says Chancellor Olof Scholz.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Germany is to send 1,000 anti-tank weapons and 500 "Stinger" surface-to-air missiles to Ukraine, the government in Berlin confirms.

The move marks a major change from its long-standing policy of banning weapon exports to conflict zones.

"In this situation, it is our duty to support Ukraine to the best of our ability in its defence against Vladimir Putin's invading army," says Chancellor Olof Scholz.

Presumably that means a clear land route to the Ukrainian forces ? Russia are the only country operating in Ukrainian skies.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Most of the Russian troops are there simply because its the job, the Ukrainians though are fighting for something they believe in. They have been incredibly brave in standing up and fighting as they have, true hero's.

Let's hope that the combination of world condemnation, sanctions, protests at home and the resilience of Ukraine leads to Putin being " removed "...

Absolutely this. Fighting for democracy, your family and country, and for freedom is currently proving a match (against overwhelming odds) for fighting for a tyrant, just cos it's your job.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Will Putin not think the West sending weapons in is getting involved?

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Will Putin not think the West sending weapons in is getting involved?

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
They will see this as NATO/The West as supporting Ukraine.

Which will only strengthens the argument that Russia has been putting across.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Being the mad man he is, and what he has already alluded to doing, I can only but imagine him personally firing nukes (or at least trying to do so) as a last stand sort of thing before his demise

It's a worry, but I also assume there's some sort of unsaid line where NATO/ UN will get involved if Russia cross it... I mean if Russia dared use chemical or biological weapons.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
It's a worry, but I also assume there's some sort of unsaid line where NATO/ UN will get involved if Russia cross it... I mean if Russia dared use chemical or biological weapons.
NATO countries are already supplying Ukriane with arms/weapons/money.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

There is no other solution from here though is there? My understanding is that the nukes aren’t solely in his hands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here