Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rumoured bid rejected for Dele Alli

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I imagine we are very good at spotting and recruiting kids for the future though. Time will tell but we have certainly excelled in producing defenders over the years, let's hope we can now develop midfielders and forwards.

Solly March ? Bought from non league Lewes ...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well last year he was in the dev squad, but this year he's progressed to the first team squad, had a good first team debut at Spurs and he's been in on the first team bench for every match since and he's just 19.
Rohan Ince ? - dev squad recruit - first team midfielder ?

Ok so we have an excellent development squad goalkeeper from a lower league club and two excellent midfielders that have made the transition to first team players in the last season. I have not moaned about the development squad as I think it will do really well. No League One or Two players have come in and made the step up quickly though have they, and this was my original point!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Ok so we have an excellent development squad goalkeeper from a lower league club and two excellent midfielders that have made the transition to first team players in the last season. I have not moaned about the development squad as I think it will do really well. No League One or Two players have come in and made the step up quickly though have they, and this was my original point!

Apart from Walton from L2 Plymouth then no.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Great ANOTHER League One player, will we NEVER learn?

Glenn Murray, Ashley Barnes, Elliot Bennet and Craig Noone are all good recent examples of players from League 1 or lower that have been successful for us at this level and with PL teams. You could go back further and identify young lower league players like Zamora or Peter Wars.

On the other hand, there are less than successful PL players like Agustien and Gardner.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Glenn Murray, Ashley Barnes, Elliot Bennet and Craig Noone are all good recent examples of players from League 1 or lower that have been successful for us at this level and with PL teams. You could go back further and identify young lower league players like Zamora or Peter Wars.

On the other hand, there are less than successful PL players like Agustien and Gardner.

I think they were all at the same level as us at least when we signed them, except maybe Glenn Murray from Rochdale? Again I may be wrong but I believe Bristol Rovers were at a higher level than us when we signed Zamora?

My point is that we have not done well recently recruiting from the division below us.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think they were all at the same level as us at least when we signed them, except maybe Glenn Murray from Rochdale? Again I may be wrong but I believe Bristol Rovers were at a higher level than us when we signed Zamora?

My point is that we have not done well recently recruiting from the division below us.

Noone and Barnes were league 1 with Plymouth; Bennet had been at Wolves but never played 1st team and was mainly out on loan to lower league teams, Zamora was higher than us in division 2 (league 1) but couldn't get into the Bristol Rovers first team squad.

All good examples of players that have started at league 1 level or lower when young, but that went on to be very good Championship players and more than hold their own in the PL.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Shame our record at spotting the good ones from the lower leagues is pretty crap. In fact I'm struggling to think of one who has actually made it with us in the first team. Feel we should stick to signing Chelsea cast offs or players from the same division that we are in or higher.
I do agree with not paying high fees for them, that fella at Forest was a four game wonder for £5m. A punt like Noone for £250k is about the limit.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I do agree with not paying high fees for them, that fella at Forest was a four game wonder for £5m. A punt like Noone for £250k is about the limit.

That's a good point: most of our lower league success stories have been bought for fees in the region of £100-200k.

Peterborough seem to have a useful habit of producing players that can tear it up in League 1, and then selling them for millions.

smartferndale

Mar 21, 2013
Dele Alli

Did we bring another great young prospect from MK Dons and it would seem he has made little progress with us. Why would another great prospect wish to follow the same path? On the other hand why go to a premier league club and never play? Sometimes it may be a better option to stay where you are. Perhaps Solly, Christian etc might read this and heed the warning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here