Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Rules of engagement for the WBBWC24

Free for all or rules for the nomation phase?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I now really want a Jaffa Cake.

Sadly though I'm currently in France for six weeks where there are none - nor rules apparently !

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Ahh I see.

Rules and structure are based on random tweets and opinions?

interesting approach.
It's more of a general consensus I'm trying to cover the approach with.

The humble Jaffa Cake has been generally outted as a cake, whereas the Twix seems to be a lot more divided and more people favour as a biscuit (in comparison to the Jaffa Cake)

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It's more of a general consensus I'm trying to cover the approach with.

The humble Jaffa Cake has been generally outted as a cake, whereas the Twix seems to be a lot more divided and more people favour as a biscuit (in comparison to the Jaffa Cake)
Anything on the sweet racks in shops such as twix and kit kats are sweets not biscuits in my view.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Anything on the sweet racks in shops such as twix and kit kats are sweets not biscuits in my view.
Tesco labels them as biscuits. So, they will be allowed into the competition

1000002342.png

Jaffa Cake 4Eva

Jan 10, 2024
There are so many reasons that the mighty Jaffa should be included in the competition it beggars belief I have to advocate for my inclusion, but sadly I clearly do.

Firstly, I self identify as a biscuit. In Brighton of all places I expected empathy and understanding. I am a biscuit, you should respect my wishes.

Secondly, I am sold in supermarkets among the biscuits, not the pre-made cakes. I am a biscuit.

Thirdly, I am sold in tubes of 12 individual biscuits. @Guinness Boy ludicrously compares me to a ‘Victoria sponge’. Tell me, GB, when was the last time you bought a tube of 12 Victoria sponges? I am a biscuit.

There is a vanishingly small difference between a Twix and me. If that is a biscuit, so am I. I am a biscuit.

I am a biscuit. Shame on those seeking segregation. I expected better of this forum.

I am a biscuit.

#FreeJFC

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
There are so many reasons that the mighty Jaffa should be included in the competition it beggars belief I have to advocate for my inclusion, but sadly I clearly do.

Firstly, I self identify as a biscuit. In Brighton of all places I expected empathy and understanding. I am a biscuit, you should respect my wishes.

Secondly, I am sold in supermarkets among the biscuits, not the pre-made cakes. I am a biscuit.

Thirdly, I am sold in tubes of 12 individual biscuits. @Guinness Boy ludicrously compares me to a ‘Victoria sponge’. Tell me, GB, when was the last time you bought a tube of 12 Victoria sponges? I am a biscuit.

There is a vanishingly small difference between a Twix and me. If that is a biscuit, so am I. I am a biscuit.

I am a biscuit. Shame on those seeking segregation. I expected better of this forum.

I am a biscuit.

#FreeJFC
Unfortunately Mc Vities argued against the biscuit claim:

Jaffa Cakes, made by McVitie’s, were first produced in 1927 and are made with a tangy orange jam, sandwiched between a layer of dark chocolate and a light sponge base. McVitie’s described the well-known treat as a cake; however, this led to legal action due to discrepancies around VAT laws. VAT is added to chocolate-covered biscuits, but not for chocolate-covered cakes. McVitie’s even produced a giant Jaffa Cake for the court case to show its cake credentials on a larger scale. The case in 1991 found that Jaffa Cakes are actually cakes! So, the all-important question if a Jaffa Cake is a cake or a biscuit, was answered. But the decision was not an easy one.

Jaffa Cake 4Eva

Jan 10, 2024
Unfortunately Mc Vities argued against the biscuit claim:

Jaffa Cakes, made by McVitie’s, were first produced in 1927 and are made with a tangy orange jam, sandwiched between a layer of dark chocolate and a light sponge base. McVitie’s described the well-known treat as a cake; however, this led to legal action due to discrepancies around VAT laws. VAT is added to chocolate-covered biscuits, but not for chocolate-covered cakes. McVitie’s even produced a giant Jaffa Cake for the court case to show its cake credentials on a larger scale. The case in 1991 found that Jaffa Cakes are actually cakes! So, the all-important question if a Jaffa Cake is a cake or a biscuit, was answered. But the decision was not an easy one.
It’s not unfortunate at all.

My maker was arguing a tax case! Their sole goal was to ensure that my cost to the consumer did not cost 20% more than it needed to. They succeeded in their tax avoidance scheme, thus ensuring we sold in greater numbers than we’d otherwise do.

We are known in the factory by the machine operators as “our favourite biscuit”. We’re sold next to digestives.

I am a biscuit.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Obviously we should be going for a rules-based approach. Because you know what the best form of fun is? That’s right, organised fun.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I want free-for-all anarchy, but I still want to be able to dunk it in a cup of tea.

Which way do I vote?

tempImageN4QFEa.jpg

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I want free-for-all anarchy, but I still want to be able to dunk it in a cup of tea.

Which way do I vote?
I'm with you. If it can't maintain structural integrity or alternatively if a significant amount of it melts during dunking then it's not a biscuit worthy of the name in my world.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't care about the rules of engagement, but ultimately if you allow Jaffa cakes into a world's greatest biscuit competition then I'm afraid I'll be boycotting the whole affair.

That's like allowing the oak tree into the world's hardest animal competition. Can you imagine that being allowed to taint the finest NSC world cup ever invented? Of course not.
*most disgustingly corrupt World Cup ever invented. Even Blatter would have struggled with it.

#teamhoneybadger

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
*most disgustingly corrupt World Cup ever invented. Even Blatter would have struggled with it.

#teamhoneybadger
What the fück are you talking about? The honey badger won an iteration of said world cup. Now here's you going all "WACCOE" Leeds about it.

No need to drag the good name of the world hardest creature competition through the mud. Disgraceful.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Garibaldi

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I am a biscuit.

#FreeJFC
You see the issue here is BRANDING.

You have essentially decided to call yourself a cake.

Even the wokeiest snowflake knows you can't have your cake (geddit :lol: ) AND eat it. You have to pick a team. If I were to change my name to Guinness Boy or Girl it would be very Brighton indeed, but the forum would be correct in urging me to pick a side. You can't be Arthur and Martha.

I suggest you place an urgent call to the marketing department and suggest a change of name and brand to 'Jaffa Biscuit' and see how that goes. I'll wait.

*drums fingers*

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You see the issue here is BRANDING.

You have essentially decided to call yourself a cake.

Even the wokeiest snowflake knows you can't have your cake (geddit :lol: ) AND eat it. You have to pick a team. If I were to change my name to Guinness Boy or Girl it would be very Brighton indeed, but the forum would be correct in urging me to pick a side. You can't be Arthur and Martha.

I suggest you place an urgent call to the marketing department and suggest a change of name and brand to 'Jaffa Biscuit' and see how that goes. I'll wait.

*drums fingers*
Or it could be rebranded as a DULLARD biscuit !

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I will be judging biscuits mostly based on how well they go with a cuppa, as for me that is their primary purpose in life - an accompaniment to tea.

Twix and KitKat etc are much more a relative of the chocolate bar family for me Clive.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here