Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rude Words Sneaked into Pop Songs

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Most of those in this thread are hardly "snuck in", you might as well add "F you, I won't do what you tell me".

One that did get away though, 1988, Push It by Salt 'n' Pepa contains the line:

"Yo baby pop, yeah you, come and give me a kiss
Better make it fast or else I'm gonna get pissed
Can't you hear the music pumping hard like I wish you would"

It got tons of uncensored radio and TV play. It wasn't even censored on good old Top Of The Pops.

Not rude words as such, but several artists got away with sexual themes in the early days, Wanda Jackson (the greatest rockabilly star to ever menstruate) released Funnel Of Love, her ode to female self pleasrue, in 1961.

...and going back even further, in 1934, Dorothy Baker got away with releasing this charming blues number (it was also released by Dorothea Trowbridge who may have been the same person), Steady Grinding Blues - at the time, in the deep south, grinding was a swear word meaning shagging. NIce.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
T'Pau were hardly trying to sneak in risky lyrics with a song called 'Sex talk' back in 1988, but this was the official video which was shown on TOTP and includes the following line twice;

I don't remember when you crept up behind me
Don't know when I got so wet

Bearing in mind this was in the decade when the BBC and certain morally outraged Radio 1 DJ's (that's a joke in itself with all the latest revelations!) banned songs like Relax by Frankie goes to Hollywood.

Oh, and how hot was Carol Decker!

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Falco ! Amadeus. Says the word c**t somewhere in it as I seem to recall or certainly sounds like it.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Again not swear word, but being "not in the know" re drugs, did not get the stones brown suger meaning :blush:

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
The Darkness "Get your hands off of my Woman" contains several uses of Motherf***er and the c-word. Was played several times on Radio 1 before they realised! Brilliant!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Still often played on radio 2, Elvis Costello's Oliver's army with the n word in it, and I'm pretty sure Splash FM played the album version of You Gotta know by Allanis Morrisette with the f word in it.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Mylo - Drop the Pressure, or more commonly the Doctor Pressure mashup, got a huge amount of radio play with the chorus of "mother****ers gonna drop the pressure" uncensored.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
The fade out of Sexual Healing by Marvyn Gaye gets a bit self abusive, not that the rest of it was in any way ambiguous and the NERD/Daft Punk track Hypnotise U last year wasn't subtle either...., just the first 2 to spring to mind

T'Pau were hardly trying to sneak in risky lyrics with a song called 'Sex talk' back in 1988, but this was the official video which was shown on TOTP and includes the following line twice;

I don't remember when you crept up behind me
Don't know when I got so wet

Bearing in mind this was in the decade when the BBC and certain morally outraged Radio 1 DJ's (that's a joke in itself with all the latest revelations!) banned songs like Relax by Frankie goes to Hollywood.

Oh, and how hot was Carol Decker!

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Surprisingly good live band as well T'Pau - saw them support Heart at Wembley Arena and unless my memory is playing tricks I am sure they did an encore.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Pink Floyd.

I've always been mad,I know I've been mad.I've been mad for ****ing years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here