Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rude Words Sneaked into Pop Songs

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Happy Talk by Captain Sensible, in which he changes the chart topping cover of the Rodgers and Hammerstein South Pacific classic from "Golly baby I'm a lucky cause" to "Golly baby I'm a lucky c***".

gravnast

Nov 13, 2012
Clitoris - Peaches by The Stranglers, Cornwell does to mispronounce it. Also from the same song "oh shit"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not swear words but I'm sure I once heard a version of The Boys Are Back In Town that had the line "get your knickers down"

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Played Sid's version of My Way at Worthing Crematorium once, it was only when I was ushering mourners in that I suddenly remembered that any minute now Mr Vicious would utter the word "c***", nobody batted an eyelid.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Another from The Jam, the truly magnificent Funeral Pyre contains the line, "Pissing themselves laughing"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If You Seek Amy by Britney.

"All of the girls and all of the boys are begging to if you seek Amy."

Doesn't even make sense. Pulled from radio once they realised.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
The lyrically brilliant Sparks did a song a few years ago, which was kinda anti-Iraq War, called:

Baby, Baby, Can I Invade Your Country?

However, the first part of 'country' is rather strongly emphasised in the chorus :blush:

And although not rude words, I've always loved the cheeky line from their 1970s hit 'Amateur Hour' - 'Girls grow tops to go topless in':rock:

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Possibly the filthiest, sweariest, lyrics ever - American riot grrrl trio, Babes in Toyland, and a song called Handsome and Gretel:

Gretel said I know what's in your head
I vacuumed out my head
I know you're feeling bad you ****ing bitch you cunthole bitch
...My name is Gretel yeah
I've got a crotch that talks
And talks to all their cocks
It's been 12 city blocks you ****ing bitch
...My name is Gretel yeah
I've got a sloppy slot...

punk::rock:punk::rock:

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Not swear words but I'm sure I once heard a version of The Boys Are Back In Town that had the line "get your knickers down"

Motorhead occasionally change the lyric "The Chase is better than the Catch" to "The Face is better than the Snatch". Also instead of "Dead Men tell no Tales" they sing [?] "Dead men smell toe nails".

He's also changed the line in Ace of Spades from "I don't want to live forever, and don't forget the Joker" to "I don't want to live forever, but apparently I am", somthing to do with recent(ish) near death experiences I think.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Squeeze Cool for Cats. Clearly not swear words , but surprising it got past BBC and Top of the Pops. The lines "bleedin same" and "give the dog a bone" when clearly it was about having ssx with a not so nice women as opposed to giving the pet dog a treat from the butchers.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Squeeze Cool for Cats. Clearly not swear words , but surprising it got past BBC and Top of the Pops. The lines "bleedin same" and "give the dog a bone" when clearly it was about having ssx with a not so nice women as opposed to giving the pet dog a treat from the butchers.

I see your point, but they were showing "Carry On" movies and "Are You Being Served" long before then, and those shows got away with murder in comparison.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here