Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Royal Mail Rip Off?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
It;s a scam , Royal Mail is a shambles , I should know as I am still mug enough to have an account with them but they don't charge for redelivery and nor does any another courier I deal with

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
17397FAD-F8E5-464D-A4CB-707BA3107E47.jpeg

OUCH.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Further proof, should any be needed, that NSC can be a force for good as well as evil :angel:
Yep this, tremendous work everyone, thanks.

Shamefully, I did an online security course six months ago. The text I got came about five minutes after the second email from Royal Mail which looks genuine. It's fooled me and it may fool others very easily so let folk know about this. My worry is the scammers somehow have access to the Royal Mail data and there has been a breach. I've never had one of these texts before and I was due a delivery today according to RM's own email system.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If ordered a Blink doorbell because my old plastic bell has stopped working. Due you think the driver will think 'new doorbell, maybe the old one doesn't work' or still stand outside ringing like mad.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Shamefully, I did an online security course six months ago. The text I got came about five minutes after the second email from Royal Mail which looks genuine. It's fooled me and it may fool others very easily so let folk know about this. My worry is the scammers somehow have access to the Royal Mail data and there has been a breach. I've never had one of these texts before and I was due a delivery today according to RM's own email system.
Given Royal Mail's record in IT, a data breach can't be ruled out.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
My mum got stung by one of these, a while ago, and yes, as others have said, the scammers send out thousands of these and it's more than likely that quite a few will be legitimately waiting for a parcel.
Bottom line is never pay online through any online links (unless 100% sure that it's genuine) and if in any doubt whatsoever, either ignore it or contact Royal Mail directly, for confirmation.
@Guinness Boy - I hope you managed to block the card in time and incurred no losses, and it just goes to show that almost anyone can be caught out.
Remain vigilant, peeps.

el punal

Over the weekend I ordered something online. My initial email confirming from the supplier said Royal Mail would deliver it tomorrow (Tuesday).

Today I got an email saying that they would instead deliver it today before 3.30. Then I got another one saying it would instead be before 7.30. Then, finally, at 14.26 that they'd tried to deliver it and we weren't in.

I've been in and in the front room with the dog, who barks at anything, all afternoon and they most certainly haven't been here. Or, if they have, they neither knocked nor rung the bell, They've either gone to the wrong house or entirely not bothered trying to deliver the parcel. DHL managed to get a delivery to us just half an hour before that.

They have now charged me £1.45 online to arrange another deliver in "2-4 days time". No other option existed.

1) Has anyone else had Royal Mail do this to them or have I just been unlucky?
2) Does anyone know if they will have it at the sorting office in the morning if I go there to look for it? If so can I get my money back?

£1.45 is not exactly a fortune but I wonder if they are doing this as a revenue raiser. Some folk are counting every last penny.
I smell a scam. Postage has already been paid for (via you and the supplier). The only way Royal Mail can wheedle money off you in these circumstances is if there is a surcharge, i.e. that the item posted did not meet the revenue required and that you have to pay the balance.

If it was Royal Mail that attempted delivery you would have had a card detailing reasons and options for non-delivery. Having worked for Royal Mail this whole episode sounds very fishy. I would certainly contact your supplier and establish what procedure was in place for delivering your item and which firm or postal service was used.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My mum got stung by one of these, a while ago, and yes, as others have said, the scammers send out thousands of these and it's more than likely that quite a few will be legitimately waiting for a parcel.
Bottom line is never pay online through any online links (unless 100% sure that it's genuine) and if in any doubt whatsoever, either ignore it or contact Royal Mail directly, for confirmation.
@Guinness Boy - I hope you managed to block the card in time and incurred no losses, and it just goes to show that almost anyone can be caught out.
Remain vigilant, peeps.
Yeah. Good thing with banking apps is I can freeze it with 2 clicks and cancel it very simply too. Froze it then cancelled as I realised my stupidity

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I can confirm that GB has worked in the technology industry (or related) for 30+ years and, despite what he posts on here, is no fool (no need to thank me :wink:)

Scams are getting better every few weeks. We got caught by a text from my son to my wife when he lost his phone. No financial loss but a f***ing nightmare with cancelling and getting replacement stuff.

Stay Safe

Shaw-Taylor-in-1976.-005.jpg

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Two microwave lasagnas from Iceland £2. Gives you £11.50 left to buy something decent in a takeaway for your other course.

Over the weekend I ordered something online. My initial email confirming from the supplier said Royal Mail would deliver it tomorrow (Tuesday).

Today I got an email saying that they would instead deliver it today before 3.30. Then I got another one saying it would instead be before 7.30. Then, finally, at 14.26 that they'd tried to deliver it and we weren't in.

I've been in and in the front room with the dog, who barks at anything, all afternoon and they most certainly haven't been here. Or, if they have, they neither knocked nor rung the bell, They've either gone to the wrong house or entirely not bothered trying to deliver the parcel. DHL managed to get a delivery to us just half an hour before that.

They have now charged me £1.45 online to arrange another deliver in "2-4 days time". No other option existed.

1) Has anyone else had Royal Mail do this to them or have I just been unlucky?
2) Does anyone know if they will have it at the sorting office in the morning if I go there to look for it? If so can I get my money back?

£1.45 is not exactly a fortune but I wonder if they are doing this as a revenue raiser. Some folk are counting every last penny.
Bang go’s your cheap Lasagna 😉

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Its not shameful at all, the fuckers rely on folk being busy, distracted, wanting/expecting something. A combination of events makes it happen. Such a load of hassle and grief to resolve though. I do hope the blow up doll is worth it when she arrives tomorrow

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Its not shameful at all, the fuckers rely on folk being busy, distracted, wanting/expecting something. A combination of events makes it happen. Such a load of hassle and grief to resolve though. I do hope the blow up doll is worth it when she arrives tomorrow
Exactly....so, so easy to get hoodwinked - comms look genuine (particularly if you're in a hurry, distracted or whatever) and if they get lucky through their carpet-bombing approach as they did here then the gates are open in terms of fraud, ID theft etc.

We used to do regular scam email tests at work ('click on this link' type stuff that would take you to a 'you just ****ed up and require additional training' page) - even within our Risk and Compliance function the failure rate was enormous.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
without doubt they are one of the laziest workers on the planet useless im lucky if they bother putting post in the letter box had it dropped om the path way under the car and neighbours get each others- we redirect the post between ourselves but if someone is away we can get post delayed until they return its ridiculous

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
If you go to the "Find Your Item" page and where it asks for your postcode type in any word you want. I typed in the word "SCAM". Then press the "Find your Item" box. Its great, you dont even need a tracking number to identify your parcel. It then takes you to the page informing you that they have your package on hold and they ask for the £1.45 redelivery fee. Seems perfectly legit to me

20231009_185922.jpg

20231009_185937.jpg

20231009_185955.jpg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
without doubt they are one of the laziest workers on the planet useless im lucky if they bother putting post in the letter box had it dropped om the path way under the car and neighbours get each others- we redirect the post between ourselves but if someone is away we can get post delayed until they return its ridiculous
thepoint-you.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here