Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Royal Mail Rip Off?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Nearly fell for similar scams myself.
It's only the fact that I have to do training on phishing attacks twice a year, that I am now immediately triggered, by any unsolicited contacts asking me for personal details.
This has included several legitimate approaches from my own bank.

The scams are getting more and more sophisticated.
I'm sure they are incredibly successful.
My step-mum falls for them on a regular basis.
She has paid "Microsoft" to fix her computer over the phone on at least 3 separate occasions.
She remains convinced this is a legit service.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A general scam question. If one fools for a scam and money is stolen from an account why cant the account the money goes to be traced ?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The safest option is to assume that every email or text is a scam and never click on any links.
No doubt with AI the wording of the messages will become more believable in the future and it will be more difficult to spot the scam immediately.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Right hang on (I haven’t read every post in detail)
It appears the scam hasn’t been executed yet. It is usually a follow up call/email allegedly telling you you’ve been scammed by giving a fake Royal Mail £1.45 - it’s at this point when your guard is down and you are relieved your bank is so efficient, you are then tricked into coughing up passwords, the 3 numbers on the back etc

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The safest option is to assume that every email or text is a scam and never click on any links.
No doubt with AI the wording of the messages will become more believable in the future and it will be more difficult to spot the scam immediately.
I'm all for that. Going to make my working day so peaceful!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Yep this, tremendous work everyone, thanks.

Shamefully, I did an online security course six months ago. The text I got came about five minutes after the second email from Royal Mail which looks genuine. It's fooled me and it may fool others very easily so let folk know about this. My worry is the scammers somehow have access to the Royal Mail data and there has been a breach. I've never had one of these texts before and I was due a delivery today according to RM's own email system.
Very unlikely ( at least that hasn’t been the case with any scam texts I’ve had) if in fact it was even a scam

Scammers send out huge batches of texts with a generic message - with the Royal Mail alone delivering over 1.5 billion parcels a year, they will eventually hit pay dirt with a load of people expecting a delivery that day -( then it’s a case of the text being received by someone being taken in which is not that difficult given the degree of sophistication in the scam)
49% of scams are re.parcel deliveries.

It doesnt mean we shouldnt be careful what we personal details we post online/social media - a scammer can find out a hell of a lot of info just having access to your name and address

Not sure what the above post was imaging the fee charge for redelivery but it isnt a Royal Mail site - it may be an admin fee for going through a rebooking website HOWEVER you can book a redelivery free of charge from the Royal Mail webpage - meta link to booking redelivery at the bottom of the home page

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So who is (not) going to deliver the new credit card?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This is the site their link takes you to. If it’s fake it’s the best one I’ve seen. The scammers also would have had to know I had a parcel due.

View attachment 167851
I almost got done by this the other day until the card details page popped up, I did fill in all my details on the previous page so hopefully that's not enough to scam me..

Last edited:

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Sad to say I have been caught up in this long story huge amount of worry and grief
Bank been ok so far and have agreed to pay back but still waiting on this playing out to see how much total I’m going to get down for
Gutted and feel ashamed should of known better
But the stars aligned and I was caught be careful everyone

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
A general scam question. If one fools for a scam and money is stolen from an account why cant the account the money goes to be traced ?
I have often wondered this too. How can a bank transfer not be traced to a person considering all the hoops one needs to jump through to open an account (at least in the UK).

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Sad to say I have been caught up in this long story huge amount of worry and grief
Bank been ok so far and have agreed to pay back but still waiting on this playing out to see how much total I’m going to get down for
Gutted and feel ashamed should of known better
But the stars aligned and I was caught be careful everyone
How were you scammed?
What was the process?
What information did you provide the scammers?
This would be useful to know so that others can avoid falling into the same trap.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
How were you scammed?
What was the process?
What information did you provide the scammers?
This would be useful to know so that others can avoid falling into the same trap.
Embarrassing to say it was the Royal Mail
It’s a two part scam
First I really was waiting on something so thought I had missed it didn’t think and stupidity made me fill in all card details
Part 2 couple days later “fraud department Lloyds” phones to say you have been scammed and need to shut account but by but with passcodes to stop money comming out .
By the time I realised the dagger through the heart was when they said
“We got your money Bruv “ and hung up
Ashamed embarrassed and an empty feeling
Lloyds to date have been great
Have promised to pay back any money taken
But have to wait for it to play out first
Hopefully this helps people Don’t be as stupid as me

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Would it be because the money’s gone to another bank, possibly somewhere else in the world. Banks would have the legal right or access to act, they may start a very long process. Criminals would’ve moved the money on by then.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I have often wondered this too. How can a bank transfer not be traced to a person considering all the hoops one needs to jump through to open an account (at least in the UK).
It absolutely can be (I work in financial crime) the destination (withdrawal account is rarely ever in the genuine fraudsters name) Even on the rare occasion it is, they’d claim they’ve had their account taken over

We had a saver customer impersonated at my last firm and changed their nominated bank account at their request (bank statement for new account supplied) and at maturity transferred c£28k to this account

4 hours later we got the call from the genuine party asking where his funds were.

The bank statements supplied has been doctored to show a different beneficial owner and address. When we contacted the destination bank the account had been emptied and taken over from another genuine party by the fraudsters.

We asked the destination bank (doesn’t have a UK banking license and well published compliance issues) to ask what the expected activity on the account was to receive £28k from a third party and empty the account instantly without intervention and they are still awaiting an report (this was 5 months ago)

The bank refunded the £28k back to the victim even though it was their email account compromised (for the fraudsters to know they had an account with us) as we as a firm they were culpable to a level by not following the internal process to the letter (where the bank statement (typos) would have likely been spotted and rejected

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Would it be because the money’s gone to another bank, possibly somewhere else in the world. Banks would have the legal right or access to act, they may start a very long process. Criminals would’ve moved the money on by then.
Typically the MO is to move funds to another UK based account quickly to have control of funds with low risk of interjection then overseas, which makes things very difficult to track in real time or even a short delay (red tape)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Typically the MO is to move funds to another UK based account quickly to have control of funds with low risk of interjection then overseas, which makes things very difficult to track in real time or even a short delay (red tape)
Layering…..move it multiple times as fast as possible, including potentially changing the asset type……by the time any investigation (which by this time have to involve multiple institutions, some of which will take days or more to even look at it) the trail to the funds has gone very cold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here