Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Royal Blood @ Brighton Beach, Saturday 29th July 2023

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Superb work. Personally I’d have cut the apology and made an indirect reference to the entrance you’re using e.g. “not an issue as 6pm is the public’s entrance” but a solid 8/10 none the less.
I knew you'd be onto this ha

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
“Just back from the match” view.

Royal Blood are one of the most musically talented acts out there. Ben must be one of the best drummers on the planet currently.

But what’s the point when the entry is so badly organised there’s literally four separate queues and the sound is turned down to minus eleven? One of the best bands I’ve seen live at the worst venue ever.

If anyone from On The Beach reads this or can be told it by someone else who does, don’t bother next year unless you’re going to organise the queue properly and turn the sound up louder than my kitchen Sonos you absolute robbers.

Last edited:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Royal Blood are one of the most musically talented acts out there. Ben must be one of the best drummers on the planet currently.

But what’s the point when the entry is so badly organised there’s literally four separate queues and the sound is turned down to minus eleven? Literally one of the best bands I’ve seen live at the worst venue ever.

If anyone from On The Beach reads this or can be told it by someone else who does, don’t bother next year unless you’re going to organise the queue properly and turn the sound up louder than my kitchen Sonos you absolute robbers.
sound was ok at the front, far from perfect but organisation was shocking

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Rock music needs to be loud IMO. I’ve been in louder clubs.
I may just be had a sweet spot in that respect it's such a weird venue as you are pretty much guaranteed cross wnds that will play havoc . it certainly wasn't loud enough. I saw them at victorious a couple of years back and it was one of the loudest gigs I've been to

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Oh, and another thing, once I got to the entrance the “security” (18 or so year old 9 stone guy in hi vis) insisted on rifling through every pocket , receipt and note in my wallet but my shorts’ pockets were never checked. I could have got 10 grams of coke in via my shorts while the On The Beach security were looking way too long at my drivers license and bank cards. Also disgraceful on several levels

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

But what’s the point when the entry is so badly organised there’s literally four separate queues and the sound is turned down to minus eleven? One of the best bands I’ve seen live at the worst venue ever.

But beach gigs are always shit for sound. We all know that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
But beach gigs are always shit for sound. We all know that.
Do we? And should it be?

I don't remember sound issues at either Big Beach Boutique (there were obvious other issues with the second one), nor when I saw Giles Peterson at the same place as last night when it was a smaller venue (the issue that day was rain) but even if I'm mis-remembering the sound at a beach gig shouldn't be any worse than any other open air gig. I've seen loads of bands and DJs at other open air festivals and gigs and never felt it was a quiet as last night and no one seems to complain about Hyde Park or Glasto.

But as @Hotchilidog says, maybe I'm just annoyed because they were SO good. Musically incredible.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Loads of complaints about organisation last year too.

A strip of beach obviously not ideal for infrastructure or sound. Or view.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Weirdly didn’t see any sound complaints last weekend from the dance music acts! I do know someone involved with the production there so I’ll see if something changed, or if it was just wind / open space

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Loads of complaints about organisation last year too.

A strip of beach obviously not ideal for infrastructure or sound. Or view.
The horror stories from last year were the main driver behind me flogging my ticket (that and it would have been 3 nights on the bounce and I'm too old for that now). Appears from this thread I was justified doing so.

Saw the Radio X instagram stories from it and you can only just about hear one of the DJs talking in the afternoon over the wind

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Not good to have the sound too loud can damage your ears. If they are any good they don’t need the sound turned up full blast .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not good to have the sound too loud can damage your ears. If they are any good they don’t need the sound turned up full blast .
What if you’re standing at the back?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here