Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Royal Albion hotel on fire, again.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
A bit disappointing that in a post supposedly opposed to bigotry, there are 10 people like a post which is as bigoted as the one it replies to.

I couldn't speak for the forums at Leeds, Millwall, or Chelsea, but what (apart from ignorance and prejudice) have you got against the Burnley forum or forums?

Probably a perception of Burnley fans based off this:
i.jpeg

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Yes, that's what I thought it would be. So perhaps it's just as well that no Brighton fan has ever misbehaved or else I would have grounds for assuming that all Brighton fans are the same.

A google search finds several instances of Brighton fans arrested for racist and homophobic behaviour. I won't post them because this proves nothing, except that there are bad apples at every club. Despising a whole town because of a few bad apples is prejudice, pure and simple.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
View attachment 163649
Not to mention the blokes who sit just near the radio commentary point at Turf Moor and spend all game yelling "you fookin poofs* at us over Johnny and Warren's commentary.

I'm sure they're just outliers though. The place is well know as a beacon of woke social justice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, that's what I thought it would be. So perhaps it's just as well that no Brighton fan has ever misbehaved or else I would have grounds for assuming that all Brighton fans are the same.

A google search finds several instances of Brighton fans arrested for racist and homophobic behaviour. I won't post them because this proves nothing, except that there are bad apples at every club. Despising a whole town because of a few bad apples is prejudice, pure and simple.

It goes beyond a few bad apples when 1) people are prepared to hire and fly a plane and make a banner like the one in the photo and 2) make a 90ft banner to hang from a chimney outside the train station....what a lovely welcome. I do not know a single other club in the UK which has done this.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It goes beyond a few bad apples when 1) people are prepared to hire and fly a plane and make a banner like the one in the photo and 2) make a 90ft banner to hang from a chimney outside the train station....what a lovely welcome. I do not know a single other club in the UK which has done this.
What proportion of bad apples is enough to damn the whole town and all its people? How many bad apples does it take before "you come from Burnley and therefore you are a knuckle-dragging racist" ceases to be prejudice and becomes a fair and reasonable point of view?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Just the "odd" bad apple then...?

Yet, just 20 years ago 8,500 people voted for the BNP on their council in Burney.......30.5% of the total vote, and won 7 seats.

And please note, this represented only one third of the seats that were up for election in Burnley
at that time..

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not to mention the blokes who sit just near the radio commentary point at Turf Moor and spend all game yelling "you fookin poofs* at us over Johnny and Warren's commentary.

I'm sure they're just outliers though. The place is well know as a beacon of woke social justice.

That is weird.

Can't think of another PL main stand with scum sitting by the directors/press areas.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004

There was also situation around the Bong racism allegations, where the Burnley fans decided to wade in, in a very unpleasant manner, despite the incident not involving them in any way.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Just the "odd" bad apple then...?

Yet, just 20 years ago 8,500 people voted for the BNP on their council in Burney.......30.5% of the total vote, and won 7 seats.

And please note, this represented only one third of the seats that up for election in Burnley
at that time..
Yes, well as I have said before, the Liberal party had no presence; at that time the Conservative party were seen as the anti-Christ; and the Labour party had voted in favour of a policy that hanging around inside the toilets with your old man hanging out, in a public park during school holidays, was appropriate behaviour for an elected councillor.

Successive mayors has been convicted of gross indecency (the one above, who was backed by his party in a council vote as behaving appropriately), and of registering his parents to vote even though they had never even visited the UK, let alone lived here (he wasn't prosecuted because he blamed his daughter). Six councillors had been suspended for cherry picking the best council houses for their own friends and supporters. The Labour party was an absolute web of fraud and corruption, and a lot of the BNP vote (not all of it) was protest.

I don't condone the vote, I condemn it. But at least let it be known that there were other factors in play.

There were no votes at all for the BNP in 2023.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What proportion of bad apples is enough to damn the whole town and all its people? How many bad apples does it take before "you come from Burnley and therefore you are a knuckle-dragging racist" ceases to be prejudice and becomes a fair and reasonable point of view?
No one is saying "you come from Burnley and therefore you are a knuckle-dragging racist" - no one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, well as I have said before, the Liberal party had no presence; at that time the Conservative party were seen as the anti-Christ; and the Labour party had voted in favour of a policy that hanging around inside the toilets with your old man hanging out, in a public park during school holidays, was appropriate behaviour for an elected councillor.

Successive mayors has been convicted of gross indecency (the one above, who was backed by his party in a council vote as behaving appropriately), and of registering his parents to vote even though they had never even visited the UK, let alone lived here (he wasn't prosecuted because he blamed his daughter). Six councillors had been suspended for cherry picking the best council houses for their own friends and supporters. The Labour party was an absolute web of fraud and corruption, and a lot of the BNP vote (not all of it) was protest.

I don't condone the vote, I condemn it. But at least let it be known that there were other factors in play.

It takes a certain type to vote for BNP even as a protest vote.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Forgive if I am wrong but as far as I can see.....there were no BNP candidates standing in 2023...?

Reading your rather awful reply, you do seem to be confirming that Burnley is a place riddled with perverts, petty frauds and wholly undesirable inhabitants....apart from your goodself of course.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Forgive if I am wrong but as far as I can see.....there were no BNP candidates standing in 2023...?

Reading your rather awful reply, you do seem to be confirming that Burnley is a place riddled with perverts, petty frauds and wholly undesirable inhabitants....apart from your goodself of course.
Superb!

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Lets try to get back on topic......
Apparently demolition has been delayed because heritage groups have complained. (Argus)

My guess of what will happen is that this will now be a derelict site for years, as well meaning heritage groups constantly complain about whatever anyone suggests gets built- but fail to provide any realistic and funded alternatives- just look at the Hippodrome, plenty of plans, but never anything further because some group or the other wants it restored to its former use and glory-

The West Pier, The Astoria site, are just other examples of sites that just basically rotted away for decades because of unrealistic expectations of restoration of past glories that are totally unrealistic, and rather than have functional, useful buildings, some would rather they are left to fall down while dreaming pie in the sky grandiose plans that will never come to fruition as they simply arent viable and the city is left with yet another derelict, dangerous, and unsightly blot on the skyline

To try and save whats left of this building will cost many times the cost of demolishing and rebuilding, and make any designs that much more difficult

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Apparently demolition has been delayed because heritage groups have complained. (Argus)

My guess of what will happen is that this will now be a derelict site for years, as well meaning heritage groups constantly complain about whatever anyone suggests gets built- but fail to provide any realistic and funded alternatives- just look at the Hippodrome, plenty of plans, but never anything further because some group or the other wants it restored to its former use and glory-

The West Pier, The Astoria site, are just other examples of sites that just basically rotted away for decades because of unrealistic expectations of restoration of past glories that are totally unrealistic, and rather than have functional, useful buildings, some would rather they are left to fall down while dreaming pie in the sky grandiose plans that will never come to fruition as they simply arent viable and the city is left with yet another derelict, dangerous, and unsightly blot on the skyline

To try and save whats left of this building will cost many times the cost of demolishing and rebuilding, and make any designs that much more difficult
Other posters have already predicted a fight for years over what to do with it - I think your post further points to that becoming a reality. It seems sadly inevitable at this stage, my confidence is low that anything will get done and it will be an eyesore for years.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Not sure why these columns descend into town baiting. Every place has it's upside and downside.

I've been to Burnley once. The kind of town I like. Rich in northern social history and has also retained the architectural aesthetics too. There is a real sense of history in such a place that is often lacking in the homogenised themes of the south.

I like the place and wouldn't generalise about an entire population.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Knock it down, let the world's leading architects queue up to build on this prominent site, build it, job done.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Other posters have already predicted a fight for years over what to do with it - I think your post further points to that becoming a reality. It seems sadly inevitable at this stage, my confidence is low that anything will get done and it will be an eyesore for years.
You should see some of the crap that gets thrown up these day in the name of "iconic" architecture. .

Christopher Wren must be spinning in his grave.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The Argus & Brighton Buses reporting the road restrictions are lifted with Buses back to normal routes, they whom ever they are have decided not to demolish for the time being!!!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here