Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Hodgson

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My issue with Hodgson is that he is playing ''out of form'' players like Sterling, Wilshere and Rooney.

That would be the same Wayne Rooney who saved Man U in the Cup Final, and was by far and away the best player on the pitch by a country mile last night ?

Mmkay.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
[QUOTE=Raleigh Chopper;7464621.
Sterling was ineffective and should not have appeared in the second half.

Ineffective....he was embarrassing. The most overrated player in the game. The only wide player we have in the whole squad and he is like a little boy lost, a headless chicken. I knew English football had finally lost its marbles when City paid £50m for him. His decision making is hopeless. He lacks skill in trying to beat people, takes all the wrong options and cannot cross the ball. One of the worst players I have ever seen in an England shirt.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Assuming we play Rooney in mid-field then our biggest problem seems to be a lack of fire-power. The Lama and Sterling (who I'd not pick) are not big scorers and yet we have quality on the bench. I really hope that the strike force isn't going to return home early with splinters in their a**se while they watch Kane taking corners. What next - get our only decent striker on the pitch to take the goal-kicks?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That would be the same Wayne Rooney who saved Man U in the Cup Final, and was by far and away the best player on the pitch by a country mile last night ?

Mmkay.

I've mentioned this on another thread and tend to agree with [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION]

The issue with Rooney wasn't his performance, which was excellent, but that he was MoM in a game we drew against a poor side. One of the reasons was changing the formation to accommodate Rooney. You can create all the chances you like but if you have one striker 40 yards away supported by two attacking mids, one of whom was woefully out of form you're never going to score from open play. And we didn't.

There was a newspaper article about Roy's time managing in Europe that said "he makes bad players average but he makes good players average too". I largely agree with that. Rashford and Vardy have just had the seasons of their lives and must be brimming with confidence and yet our attacking options are Lallana, Sterling and Kane taking corners. It's baffling.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Raleigh Chopper;7464621. Sterling was ineffective and should not have appeared in the second half. Ineffective....he was embarrassing. The most overrated player in the game. The only wide player we have in the whole squad and he is like a little boy lost said:
Worse than Carlton Palmer?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've mentioned this on another thread and tend to agree with [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION]

The issue with Rooney wasn't his performance, which was excellent, but that he was MoM in a game we drew against a poor side. One of the reasons was changing the formation to accommodate Rooney. You can create all the chances you like but if you have one striker 40 yards away supported by two attacking mids, one of whom was woefully out of form you're never going to score from open play. And we didn't.

There was a newspaper article about Roy's time managing in Europe that said "he makes bad players average but he makes good players average too". I largely agree with that. Rashford and Vardy have just had the seasons of their lives and must be brimming with confidence and yet our attacking options are Lallana, Sterling and Kane taking corners. It's baffling.

The side was nicely balanced, fluent, controlled the game and played some excellent football. We should have been out of sight by half time, but we were let down by one thing - our finishing. It was almost Sheffield Wednesday-esque. If one or two of those multiple chances we created had been taken, or not fired straight at their keeper then we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Rooney pulled the strings all night and we BATTERED them, but just didn't take our chances, simple as that.

Play like that against Wales and it will be more than enough.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Rooney pulled the strings all night and we BATTERED them, but just didn't take our chances, simple as that.

Agreed that Rooney played well, but what chances are you referring to?

Their keeper made a regulation save from Rooney in the first half and an excellent one in the second.

Apart from that I don't recall him being busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Kane takes the corners for 2 reasons
Neither Sterling nor Lallana are capable of consistent delivery, which is damning on them.
So when the opposition clear it a midfielder is not out of position. This moron of a manager is even cautious when we're attacking.

From speaking to an FA qualified coach yesterday.

Liverpool must still be laughing themselves to sleep on Sterling!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agreed that Rooney played well, but what chances are you referring to?

Their keeper made a regulation save from Rooney in the first half and an excellent one in the second.

Apart from that I don't recall him being busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He wasn't busy enough because we were so wasteful in front of goal. The ball was flying across the box all night with nobody applying the finishing touch, Llalama had a clear sight of goal from 12 yards out and dragged it wide, we had 15 attempts on goal and only got 5 on target. THAT was our failure, not the formation or the system, just the finishing. On another night we'd have won that comfortably.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He wasn't busy enough because we were so wasteful in front of goal. The ball was flying across the box all night with nobody applying the finishing touch, Llalama had a clear sight of goal from 12 yards out and dragged it wide, we had 15 attempts on goal and only got 5 on target. THAT was our failure, not the formation or the system, just the finishing. On another night we'd have won that comfortably.

Watching it was like watching our "good" draws under Poyet and we failed to score for exactly the same reason. When you have only one recognised striker you have a single point of failure, finishing wise. Lallana and Sterling aren't in for their finishing.

Talking of FA recognised coaches I did my Level One badge on Saturday, though the course was spread over a couple of weeks and two different tutors. Both of them told us to stop saying "unlucky" to our boys and girls when they missed. The actual reason for missing is poor technique. Obviously you don't say that to kids so the right thing to do is say somehting like "good try" and then look for a time when you can have a quiet word and ask them how they think they could have done it even better.

We weren't unlucky on Saturday. The chances fell to the wrong players. Simple as.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Watching it was like watching our "good" draws under Poyet and we failed to score for exactly the same reason. When you have only one recognised striker you have a single point of failure, finishing wise. Lallana and Sterling aren't in for their finishing.

Talking of FA recognised coaches I did my Level One badge on Saturday, though the course was spread over a couple of weeks and two different tutors. Both of them told us to stop saying "unlucky" to our boys and girls when they missed. The actual reason for missing is poor technique. Obviously you don't say that to kids so the right thing to do is say somehting like "good try" and then look for a time when you can have a quiet word and ask them how they think they could have done it even better.

We weren't unlucky on Saturday. The chances fell to the wrong players. Simple as.

I'm not claiming we were unlucky. The finishing was poor, that's the sole reason we didn't win.

But IMO it was a vibrant, enterprising, encouraging performance from England. Far better than the woeful, cautious, plodding dirge we usually serve up at a Finals tournament. I thought there was a nicely balanced look about the team. It wasn't a perfect performance, but it was a good one. More of the same on Thursday and we'll win that game at a canter.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm not claiming we were unlucky. The finishing was poor, that's the sole reason we didn't win.

But IMO it was a vibrant, enterprising, encouraging performance from England. Far better than the woeful, cautious, plodding dirge we usually serve up at a Finals tournament. I thought there was a nicely balanced look about the team. It wasn't a perfect performance, but it was a good one. More of the same on Thursday and we'll win that game at a canter.

Agree with this - but Kane taking corners??? shutting up shop at 1-0 up???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agree with this - but Kane taking corners??? shutting up shop at 1-0 up???

Baffling. Especially Kane on corners duty.

Its so ludicrous I'm starting to think Hodgson is just being stubborn about it now.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Well, always willing to welcome completely naïve newcomers to the world of football! So welcome!

Take it you haven't heard of sports psychology yet either?

I believe that the team that went on to beat Argentina 4-0 in the quarters, then lose 1-0 against the eventual champions in the semi and went on to win 3rd place, was far better than us who have only won one game in the knockout stages of a major tournament in the last 20 years. Yes.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Shades of the last world cup for me. We played well against Italy in our opening game only to lose and we all know what happened from there.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I too thought it was a decent performance, nice to see England be positive for a change and go on the attack for the bulk of the game. My issue with Hodgson in this game is that he did not change things up front in the final quarter. Kane looked knackered towards the end, and Llalana kept blowing the good opportunities he had. Vardy should have been brought on to change it up a bit and give the Russian defence something diffeerent to worry about, to bring on Wilshire AND Milner seemed to overly cautious to me and inevitably ended up gifting a previoulsy toothless Russia the opportunity to equalise.

I think there are positives to take from the game. Keep that tempo, encourage people in the box to chuck themselves at the ball and replace tired legs up front towards the end of the game and I think we can have a decent tournament if we can avoid getting chucked out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Play as we did vs Russia and we will come first or second in the group.

Beat Wales and we'll probably top the group, realistically.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here