Rowett leaves Birmingham

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Is it a Birmingham thing?
Villa nick our assistant manager pre-match and now Birmingham want???

It'll be the usual thing of under 18's manager taking charge Saturday with the 'big name' in the stand watching on as his team play for their future.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One things for sure, whoever gets the job now had better hit the ground running. He's going to be under HUGE pressure to maintain and improve on what Rowett was doing there this season, they were certainly punching above their weight to be in the Playoff picture.

Absolutely mental decision. The new owners have made a rod for their own backs there. They are going to look like absolute DICKHEADS if Brum fail to make the top 6 now.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Expect spending this Jan from whoever they have lined up. Rowett had done a very solid job progressing that club.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
This is the view of the local NAYLOR:

Birmingham City have sacked Gary Rowett and in 18 years working for the Birmingham Mail football desk, I have never been more shocked.

This is the manager that has been touted for Premier League jobs and had even been mentioned as a possible future manager of England.

This is a man who is widely respected not only by Blues fans but the wider footballing world.

An intelligent manager, a manager who in his time at Blues has conducted himself with dignity and professionalism.

A manager who has taken Blues on a shoestring to contenders for the play-offs.

This is a manager who understands the Championship, the constraints, the realities, and the potential of the league.

Little by little, Blues have defied the odds under Rowett to punch firmly above their weight.

We are currently making sense of the situation, seeking answers and demanding to know what prompted what seems on the surface to be a very poor footballing decision

There has to be a good reason for this decision.

To sack a manager of such popularity and standing seems a very, very peculiar decision.

Anyone who listened to Rowett talk about Blues and football will know this is EXACTLY the man you want in charge of your football club.

This isn’t a footballing decision that makes any sense at all. The statement by the club explained nothing.

The comment about the club not wanting to stand still seems absurd in light of the progression that they have made under Rowett.

Where do Blues go now? It needs to be a hell of a popular name to repair this damage...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Birmingham have 10 days after they play us until their next game.

Perfect to get a new man in.

But they sack Rowett 3 days before our game.

Clueless.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I presume as well that the cost of terminating his and his teams' contracts ins't insignificant either?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Zola the one man book at present. If it is going to be him then I would guess it'll happen quickly.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
This has got to be a Big Sam shoe-in. It will also complete the grouping of "not quite good enough for the Prem but good enough to get you there in a normal year" managers (e.g. Lambert, Bruce, Schteeve, Monk, Neal, Grayson,McCarthy, Hollaway, Warnock, Coyle). Problem is there's no such thing as normal year in the Championship any more.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Stan Collymore has apparently waded in and Trillion Trophy have asked who Collymore is!

More to follow!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
and for that reason I think Saturday just got harder.

They will all play for Rowett and fans will be fired up

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Zola the one man book at present. If it is going to be him then I would guess it'll happen quickly.

Which would be utterly bizarre.

He got Watford to the Playoff Final (which they lost against you-know-who that year), then resigned halfway through the following season with Watford in midtable. Since then he's spent 3 months as manager of Cagliari (sacked) and a season at some obscure Arab club in Qatar (doing nothing, before being sacked).

Great appointment he'd be.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
and for that reason I think Saturday just got harder.

They will all play for Rowett and fans will be fired up

How will they be playing for Rowett ? He's not there !

Far more likely they'll play like shit and say "now look what you've gone and done, you IDIOTS"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports