Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rottingdean Pub bans office Christmas Parties

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Finding this thread highly amusing as I know a big group of Deans locals that drink regularly in the BH & QV - & they are exactly as people have described on here.
Cliquey, snooty, "better than you lot" demeanours...thank god I no longer mix in their circles.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Recently I've started working my way through their GIN menu.

On the last day of the season we went there for a "couple".....stayed 5 hours because the cider festival was on.....then staggered to the Sea of Spice where I proceeded to be slightly unwell.......

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I also went to The Spanish once, and once only after the refurb.

Not for me.

You're right about The Vic being the best pub for beer in the village, but it's still all a bit ale heavy, not a lot of keg, loads of cask.
genuine question, whats the difference between keg and cask ?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
There's a sweet shop next to the plough? Do you mean the chocolate box on the corner of steyning road and the high street? That would fit the bill. Or it would have 20-25 years ago.

There used to be a sweet shop near the Plough on the corner of Whipping Post Lane. So not the Chocolate Box, for which I used to do a paper round BITD for a nice chap called Ian something, as I recall.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester

Cask is "real ale" where the beer has live yeast sediment in the cask so it continues to mature in the pub until being served, but can go off if left too long after the cask is tapped. Served through hand pump or on gravity tap straight from the cask. Normally served at cellar temperature.

Keg covers everything served through an electric font. Traditional keg is your standard lagers and smooth-flow bitters like John Smiths, served under gas (CO2) pressure and so cold and fizzy. Has a long shelf life and can be knocked out cheap, but thin flavour due to pasteurisation and lack of conditioning time beforehand. Picture gets more complex with "craft keg" which is matured in the brewery for as long as cask beer would in the cask, so it is still full flavoured and can be served from different types of kegs, notably the "key keg" which includes a double skinned bladder in a cardboard container, so the gas doesn't come into direct contact with the beer. It's as high quality as cask but more consistent with the long shelf life. Still seems to be colder and fizzier than cask ale, but that's a matter of individual taste.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Cask is "real ale" where the beer has live yeast sediment in the cask so it continues to mature in the pub until being served, but can go off if left too long after the cask is tapped. Served through hand pump or on gravity tap straight from the cask. Normally served at cellar temperature.

Keg covers everything served through an electric font. Traditional keg is your standard lagers and smooth-flow bitters like John Smiths, served under gas (CO2) pressure and so cold and fizzy. Has a long shelf life and can be knocked out cheap, but thin flavour due to pasteurisation and lack of conditioning time beforehand. Picture gets more complex with "craft keg" which is matured in the brewery for as long as cask beer would in the cask, so it is still full flavoured and can be served from different types of kegs, notably the "key keg" which includes a double skinned bladder in a cardboard container, so the gas doesn't come into direct contact with the beer. It's as high quality as cask but more consistent with the long shelf life. Still seems to be colder and fizzier than cask ale, but that's a matter of individual taste.
One of the most interesting posts I've read on here in a good while, thank you for sharing kind sir.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

What he said!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
There used to be a sweet shop near the Plough on the corner of Whipping Post Lane. So not the Chocolate Box, for which I used to do a paper round BITD for a nice chap called Ian something, as I recall.

Was there? I never knew that. When did it go? I used to go to school at our lady of lourdes and have no memory of it, just the chocolate box.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That's a pretty good round-up. One correction: cask beer can be served through an electric pump - they're not common in the south, where gravity and hand pumps are the norm but I saw them a lot in Yorkshire when I was at uni. So, any electric dispenser down here is keg but may not be elsewhere.

I also think that the gas that drives smooth-flow bitters is nitrogen rather than carbon dioxide - not 100% certain of this - but it's certainly used in canned versions

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That's a pretty good round-up. One correction: cask beer can be served through an electric pump - they're not common in the south, where gravity and hand pumps are the norm but I saw them a lot in Yorkshire when I was at uni. So, any electric dispenser down here is keg but may not be elsewhere.

I also think that the gas that drives smooth-flow bitters is nitrogen rather than carbon dioxide - not 100% certain of this - but it's certainly used in canned versions

Oooooh controversial .........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here