Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rotherham Child Rape Scandal

It's time to face up to the problem of sexual abuse in the white community

by Joseph Harker, Guardian - Monday 6 May 2013

From Stuart Hall to north Wales, the issue won't go away. If you think I'm being ridiculous, read to the end of my argument

Every day across Britain, it seems, there's a new and horrific revelation of sexual abuse: last week we had the guilty plea of veteran TV presenter Stuart Hall, who confessed to 14 cases of indecent assault against 13 girls, the youngest only nine years old.

Days earlier the possible scale of child abuse in north Wales children's homes was revealed. We now know there were 140 allegations of historical abuse between 1963 and 1992. A total of 84 suspected offenders have been named, and it's claimed the abuse took place across 18 children's homes.

But after the shock has subsided and we have time to reflect on these revolting crimes, the main question in most reasonable people's minds must surely be: what is it about white people that makes them do this?

Jimmy Savile is alleged to have abused 300 young people, and in his case and in north Wales, the abuse could not have happened without a wide range of co-conspirators either grooming children or ensuring the truth never got out. Hardly a week goes by without another white man being arrested in connection with sexual abuse.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for whites. I have many white friends and I know most of them are wholly opposed to sexual abuse. But they must be worried that their whole community is getting a bad name. I can imagine that, every day, with each unfolding case, they must be hiding their face behind their hands, pleading: "Please, God, don't let it be a white person this time."

And with so many senior community figures implicated, many of us are starting to wonder what will happen to the next generation of whites. How will today's young whites learn that abuse is wrong when their role models are so tarnished?

First, though, we need to find out what's causing the problem. Is it something to do with white people's culture? Is it something to do with their loss of empire, and their new role in the world, as a diminished state desperately clinging to its glorious past? Do they seek to impose their last vestiges of power on the most vulnerable in society?

Or is it that, having spent so much of their history waging wars against each other, they cannot cope with the relative peace of the last half-century, and their frustration at not fighting is taken out on the weakest? I may have no evidence for this, but that's not going to stop me putting it out there as a cause.

Or maybe it's their religion? Child abuse in the priesthood has, of course, also been tolerated for decades, allowed to continue unpunished through a conspiracy of silence among the church hierarchy.

And despite the recent falls in attendance, Christianity still dominates European culture. And the Bible, which many whites still look to, has such verses as: "Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol [hell]." (Proverbs 23:13-14) It hardly fits with white society's claims to care for children. And even those who don't believe, such as Richard Dawkins, a senior cleric in the atheist community, have sought to downplay the gravity of child abuse, believing it's no worse than religion itself. As he wrote: "Horrible as sexual abuse no doubt was, the damage was arguably less than the long-term psychological damage inflicted by bringing the child up Catholic in the first place." Of course, what we really need now is for brave white community leaders to come out and distance themselves from the abusers.

Maybe, say, the new head of the Equality and Human Rights Commission should come out and admit the issue is "racial and cultural" and that she fears that "in those communities there were people who knew what was going on and didn't say anything, either because they're frightened or they're so separated from the rest of the communities". Or a white cabinet member could say: "There is a small minority of white men who believe that young children are fair game. And we have to be prepared to say that. You can only start solving a problem if you acknowledge it first." Or the head of a leading children's charity could say: "There is very troubling evidence that whites are overwhelmingly represented in the prosecutions for such offences." Yet none of this has happened. And this saddens me. Because until we hear those brave voices speaking out against abuse, what are we meant to think?

I urge white people to break this conspiracy of silence. Call on your leaders to show leadership. To show us all that you're not like the people who dominate the news headlines. That you really do care about protecting children.

You may think all the above is ridiculous; that I'm stirring ethnic tensions on an issue that is clearly about individuals and small groups of people and has nothing to do with race or religion. And that by making this spurious case I'm ignoring the core issue, which is that children, many of them in vulnerable situations, were terrorised and physically harmed by opportunistic men who were able to get away with their crimes for years. You'd be right.

But all of the above arguments were made within various parts of our print and broadcast media when similarly small numbers of Muslim men were revealed to be grooming young girls for sex. If you think the claims about white people are wrong, then so is the stereotyping of Britain's Muslims, and the widespread questioning of their culture and their religion, because of the perverted actions of a few.

Since the "black crime shock" tabloid stories of the 1980s, editors have known that stoking fears about misunderstood minorities is good for sales. If you object to this article, then you should understand how it feels to be a Muslim reading similar pieces pandering to Islamophobia day after day – and you should object to those too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yeah, good one. lets pretend systematic abuse of childred by Muslims in Rotherham isnt an issue, because native, white Britons have abused in the past as well. i'd wager the author wouldnt write that today knowing what we know now, i beleive he did so in the context of an "isolated" incident involving muslims* near the time.

yeah, good one. lets pretend systematic abuse of childred by Muslims in Rotherham isnt an issue, because native, white Britons have abused in the past as well. i'd wager the author wouldnt write that today knowing what we know now, i beleive he did so in the context of an "isolated" incident involving muslims* near the time.

Given NSC is so full of EDL-style trolling, no harm giving a little back to our resident Klutz Klanners is there? :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 22389

Given NSC is so full of EDL-style trolling, no harm giving a little back to our resident Klutz Klanners is there? :thumbsup:

I lived in Luton on and off for 10 years. In the area I lived the majority followed Islam.

Over the years I couldn't get used to the place. I also noticed a change with more and more women adopting the Burka, it made me feel uncomfortable if I am honest with you, it made me feel I shouldn't even be there. Some people are perfectly comfortable and happy with it, good for them.

I suppose the real test will come in this country as this religion gets bigger and new communities are created in other parts of the country, with areas changing to accommodate it. We will see how people feel about it, and how well it is going to work together. We are not talking about a small thing here and that is why this argument is so misunderstood. For me the thing that worries me the most, is the way I have I seen things play out in other countries, it doesn't look good at the moment does it. Last thing we want is the same things happening here, with people stuck in the middle who have nothing to do with it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Or maybe it's their religion? Child abuse in the priesthood has, of course, also been tolerated for decades, allowed to continue unpunished through a conspiracy of silence among the church hierarchy.

And despite the recent falls in attendance, Christianity still dominates European culture. And the Bible, which many whites still look to, has such verses as: "Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol [hell]." (Proverbs 23:13-14) It hardly fits with white society's claims to care for children. And even those who don't believe, such as Richard Dawkins, a senior cleric in the atheist community, have sought to downplay the gravity of child abuse, believing it's no worse than religion itself. As he wrote: "Horrible as sexual abuse no doubt was, the damage was arguably less than the long-term psychological damage inflicted by bringing the child up Catholic in the first place." Of course, what we really need now is for brave white community leaders to come out and distance themselves from the abusers.

This is actually a really interesting point made by the programme last night. There's no point in having a guardian/mail inspired "my race is better/worse than your race" binfest.

The simon dancuzuk article, the programme last night and the poster early in this thread who served out there specifically mentioned the peshawar region in north-west pakistan as having a problem with child abuse. Not all asians and not all muslims.

One of the reasons highlighted last night was the attitude towards women - they're not allowed out of the house and it's forbidden to look at them, the guy said his wife was something to keep at home to read the koran and be a good muslim, basically useless (his words). To fulfill his sexual needs he turned to young boys, as far as I can tell because they were easily accessable. Sounds a bit like the problems over here with the clergy doesn't it.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out that these attitudes are being passed to their peers and family, and over here the natural manifestation is to fulfill sexual needs with young girls hanging around on streets (pakistan boy equivalent) who they can manipulate, because they can't touch their wives. It is cultural, no doubt - but nothing to do with skin colour.

White sexual abusers over here would probably have developed for different reasons within our culture - the celebs it seems just because they could, clergy again because women are forbidden, within families because they once were themselves etc etc In a sense the 80s celeb paedos is also cultural, people mixing togeather in those circles probably learned from each other.

The wider article is nonsence though, all he's done is substitute asian muslim with white christian. I know why he's done it, but it just doesn't make sense!

I lived in Luton on and off for 10 years. In the area I lived the majority followed Islam.

Over the years I couldn't get used to the place. I also noticed a change with more and more women adopting the Burka, it made me feel uncomfortable if I am honest with you, it made me feel I shouldn't even be there. Some people are perfectly comfortable and happy with it, good for them.

I suppose the real test will come in this country as this religion gets bigger and new communities are created in other parts of the country, with areas changing to accommodate it. We will see how people feel about it, and how well it is going to work together. We are not talking about a small thing here and that is why this argument is so misunderstood. For me the thing that worries me the most, is the way I have I seen things play out in other countries, it doesn't look good at the moment does it. Last thing we want is the same things happening here, with people stuck in the middle who have nothing to do with it.

Well, funnily enough whenever I went to Luton games I used to reach the Asian area around Kenilworth Road with a sigh of relief - it was much more preferable than being around the utter tools of Luton fans who would hang around the train station and town centre area looking to greet opposition fans with their friendly "banter" :jester:

Not a big fan of the burqa myself either but you won't ever tempt Islamic communities to further integrate with more liberal values by demonising them as criminals - much better bet to support and champion progressive voices within those communities. Harder work than marching round like twats like the EDL do but more rewarding in the longer term

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I said a few weeks ago, over 50 cases similar to Rotherham,Oxford,Derby, Oldham etc are being investigated. Obviously the usual suspects will deny there is a problem with a certain group.

That would have been nipped in the bud if social services and the police were at all interested in doing their jobs properly.

This nation's complacent attitude to child abuse is what keeps getting exposed time and time again.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
this nations complacency in general , as long as they all get their pay packets on time they are all quite happy , no need to rock the boat now is there old boy...eh...what..!!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I remember seeing a talk show with young Muslims on it and a "Moderate" Imam on as a guest. mod edit: None of the rest, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009

by Joseph Harker, Guardian - Monday 6 May 2013

From Stuart Hall to north Wales, the issue won't go away. If you think I'm being ridiculous, read to the end of my argument

Every day across Britain, it seems, there's a new and horrific revelation of sexual abuse: last week we had the guilty plea of veteran TV presenter Stuart Hall, who confessed to 14 cases of indecent assault against 13 girls, the youngest only nine years old.

Days earlier the possible scale of child abuse in north Wales children's homes was revealed. We now know there were 140 allegations of historical abuse between 1963 and 1992. A total of 84 suspected offenders have been named, and it's claimed the abuse took place across 18 children's homes.

But after the shock has subsided and we have time to reflect on these revolting crimes, the main question in most reasonable people's minds must surely be: what is it about white people that makes them do this?

Jimmy Savile is alleged to have abused 300 young people, and in his case and in north Wales, the abuse could not have happened without a wide range of co-conspirators either grooming children or ensuring the truth never got out. Hardly a week goes by without another white man being arrested in connection with sexual abuse.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for whites. I have many white friends and I know most of them are wholly opposed to sexual abuse. But they must be worried that their whole community is getting a bad name. I can imagine that, every day, with each unfolding case, they must be hiding their face behind their hands, pleading: "Please, God, don't let it be a white person this time."

And with so many senior community figures implicated, many of us are starting to wonder what will happen to the next generation of whites. How will today's young whites learn that abuse is wrong when their role models are so tarnished?

First, though, we need to find out what's causing the problem. Is it something to do with white people's culture? Is it something to do with their loss of empire, and their new role in the world, as a diminished state desperately clinging to its glorious past? Do they seek to impose their last vestiges of power on the most vulnerable in society?

Or is it that, having spent so much of their history waging wars against each other, they cannot cope with the relative peace of the last half-century, and their frustration at not fighting is taken out on the weakest? I may have no evidence for this, but that's not going to stop me putting it out there as a cause.

Maybe, say, the new head of the Equality and Human Rights Commission should come out and admit the issue is "racial and cultural" and that she fears that "in those communities there were people who knew what was going on and didn't say anything, either because they're frightened or they're so separated from the rest of the communities". Or a white cabinet member could say: "There is a small minority of white men who believe that young children are fair game. And we have to be prepared to say that. You can only start solving a problem if you acknowledge it first." Or the head of a leading children's charity could say: "There is very troubling evidence that whites are overwhelmingly represented in the prosecutions for such offences." Yet none of this has happened. And this saddens me. Because until we hear those brave voices speaking out against abuse, what are we meant to think?

I urge white people to break this conspiracy of silence. Call on your leaders to show leadership. To show us all that you're not like the people who dominate the news headlines. That you really do care about protecting children.

You may think all the above is ridiculous; that I'm stirring ethnic tensions on an issue that is clearly about individuals and small groups of people and has nothing to do with race or religion. And that by making this spurious case I'm ignoring the core issue, which is that children, many of them in vulnerable situations, were terrorised and physically harmed by opportunistic men who were able to get away with their crimes for years. You'd be right.

But all of the above arguments were made within various parts of our print and broadcast media when similarly small numbers of Muslim men were revealed to be grooming young girls for sex. If you think the claims about white people are wrong, then so is the stereotyping of Britain's Muslims, and the widespread questioning of their culture and their religion, because of the perverted actions of a few.

Since the "black crime shock" tabloid stories of the 1980s, editors have known that stoking fears about misunderstood minorities is good for sales. If you object to this article, then you should understand how it feels to be a Muslim reading similar pieces pandering to Islamophobia day after day – and you should object to those too.

Interesting relativism, do you or Joseph Harker have a similar piece on the prevalence of honour killings, female genital mutilation, suicide bombings, religious terrorism and the loping off of a soldier's head being committed by the white Christian community?

Your contorted sense of self righteousness on this matter is exactly the mind set that lead to the authorities ignoring epidemic levels of child abuse by largely Pakistani men in towns and cities around the country.

Notwithstanding the tragic impact that such abuse will have on the victims, one common factor they share is the catastrophic failure of authorities to protect the vulnerable. Whilst these failures both ultimately resulted in abuse, in the case of Rotherham, (and no doubt others) it is becoming clear that the authorities did not act on evidence because they put cultural and racial cohesion above protecting vulnerable children in their care.

As a back drop Labour's political interests in the town were also tied into the motives behind the neglect; hence the suspensions of councillors today.............little wonder the white working class are turning their backs on Labour.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Barry Sheerman Labour MP currently committing political suicide on C4 news, confessing his neglect and incompetence whilst chairing a children's protection committee when Labour were in power. Astounding............

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Interesting relativism, do you or Joseph Harker have a similar piece on the prevalence of honour killings, female genital mutilation, suicide bombings, religious terrorism and the loping off of a soldier's head being committed by the white Christian community?

Your contorted sense of self righteousness on this matter is exactly the mind set that lead to the authorities ignoring epidemic levels of child abuse by largely Pakistani men in towns and cities around the country.

Notwithstanding the tragic impact that such abuse will have on the victims, one common factor they share is the catastrophic failure of authorities to protect the vulnerable. Whilst these failures both ultimately resulted in abuse, in the case of Rotherham, (and no doubt others) it is becoming clear that the authorities did not act on evidence because they put cultural and racial cohesion above protecting vulnerable children in their care.

As a back drop Labour's political interests in the town were also tied into the motives behind the neglect; hence the suspensions of councillors today.............little wonder the white working class are turning their backs on Labour.

A good post imo.
The thing is that most posters posted their disgust about Hall, Harris, Savile etc. We had pages about them and the disgust was shown, i even got warned and an infraction on one of the white kiddie fiddler threads, but no, we now have not individuals but gangs of groomers, and many cases yet to come out.....but people like LI will just swerve the thread away from the topic...and make excuses.
The reason this case and many others have been allowed to carry on is because the authorities were not interested or did not want to upset people.
Meanwhile the South Yorks Police were quick enough to search Cliff Richards place but were absent when reports of grooming was placed in their laps...and that was over a period of time.

Flex Your Head

Barry Sheerman Labour MP currently committing political suicide on C4 news, confessing his neglect and incompetence whilst chairing a children's protection committee when Labour were in power. Astounding............
Car-crash television. "I'm guilty, but other people are too" - playground-quality excuses.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
still trying to get my head around that Panorama programme and the researcher who in 2002 was told to shut up and never refer to Asian men again after gathering evidence of 270 victims of abuse. The researcher even knew who the culprits were. She was sent off for "diversity training" for her troubles.

i hope these officials are brought to task as well as the abusers

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
still trying to get my head around that Panorama programme and the researcher who in 2002 was told to shut up and never refer to Asian men again after gathering evidence of 270 victims of abuse. The researcher even knew who the culprits were. She was sent off for "diversity training" for her troubles.

i hope these officials are brought to task as well as the abusers

100% this.

Unfortunately there will be meaningless apologies, those responsible will continue their jobs without so much as a slapped wrist whilst the girls affected try and rebuild their lives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here