Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ross Barkley - released.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Strikes me as the kind of player that has a lot of natural ability but little tactical discipline. I know when he was at Villa, their fans got fed up with him failing to track runners and going on little jaunts up the pitch rather than doing his job.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Strikes me as the kind of player that has a lot of natural ability but little tactical discipline. I know when he was at Villa, their fans got fed up with him failing to track runners and going on little jaunts up the pitch rather than doing his job.
He has looked brilliant for Luton but your BUT is a big one.

I agree. I just think he’d be able to carry out RDZ’s instructions. He may well be able to have some good games for us but we are not short in his position. I’d mentioned him before but having pondered it, I don’t think RDZ would want him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not for me.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Just watching the Luton v Chelsea game and was thinking Luton got Barkley on a free from Nice and was thinking he’s just what we need, came onto NSC to make that point only to find a good number of you were thinking the same.

Blimey that Palmer goal in slow motion was incredible at full speed I just could not see what an absolute brilliant drag back to get the ball away from the keeper

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Not sure he’d leave Luton mid season but he is just what we need and I’ve thought it all season when I’ve watched them…
He’d leave them in a heartbeat for a step up, I reckon. It would be like Eriksen’s short stay at Brentford.
He would be a perfect stop gap while Beleba gets up to speed.
In fact Barkley to us on a permanent and Beleba to Luton on loan would work.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He’d leave them in a heartbeat for a step up, I reckon. It would be like Eriksen’s short stay at Brentford.
He would be a perfect stop gap while Beleba gets up to speed.
In fact Barkley to us on a permanent and Beleba to Luton on loan would work.
Not sure Luton would be happy with that!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Not sure Luton would be happy with that!
And we would say “OK, well we are having Barkley on a free anyway because he’s out of contract and wants to play for a decent team. Notts Forest can have baleba on loan instead . Good luck in the championship next season”.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And we would say “OK, well we are having Barkley on a free anyway because he’s out of contract and wants to play for a decent team. Notts Forest can have baleba on loan instead . Good luck in the championship next season”.
That's assuming that he's a free agent in January. I'm sure Luton were taking a punt when they signed him on a free, but surely they'd have signed him for a whole season? To give him a half season deal, even if it saved a few bob, would be risking losing him in January, which would be frankly bloody stupid!

Still, if Luton have been stupid, far be it from me to advocate not taking advantage!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That's assuming that he's a free agent in January. I'm sure Luton were taking a punt when they signed him on a free, but surely they'd have signed him for a whole season? To give him a half season deal, even if it saved a few bob, would be risking losing him in January, which would be frankly bloody stupid!

Still, if Luton have been stupid, far be it from me to advocate not taking advantage!
Apparently only until Jan

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Interesting few days coming up then!
Indeed from his point of view he is again proving himself to be a good player. We could offer him so much for so little (for us).

It's down to his morals insomuch as being given the chance by Luton against the prospect of a bit of glory with us.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Indeed from his point of view he is again proving himself to be a good player. We could offer him so much for so little (for us).

It's down to his morals insomuch as being given the chance by Luton against the prospect of a bit of glory with us.
We're talking PL football and young men earning £50K a week - I don't think morals enter into it very often. Even if they did, I think the morals could be satisfied by the disappointment he must have felt when they were so moody as to only offer him half a season (if that is what they did)!

Jimmy Grimble

Would be seriously handy as a midfield option for us. Their third goal showed what we miss in terms of winning duels. Barkley got to the ball before Gilmour then put their player through on goal.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Would be seriously handy as a midfield option for us. Their third goal showed what we miss in terms of winning duels. Barkley got to the ball before Gilmour then put their player through on goal.
Not sure he'd come here would he?

But yes, he'd be a massive upgrade on Dahoud and Baleba, neither of whom have pulled up any trees since arriving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here