Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Rolling tobacco to be banned in May?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well I’m a drinker and have been known to gamble to excess and I beat myself up over both on occasion so yes. I’ve sought professional help for one of them as well.

Humans are fallible I get that and I don’t expect you to agree with me but I find smoking particularly abhorrent and weak.
Oh, so it's just people with a weakness that you don't share that you sneer at. Righty-ho.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
This post might annoy you a bit but...

I genuinely really enjoy smoking. I am aware of its health risks, but do it anyway because life is too short and I'm not prepared to give up something I enjoy right now.

...and let's be honest, the odd cigarette is not going to kill anyone.

I am a sporty person, who is very fit. Why shouldn't I enjoy smoking? The real health crisis in this country is the many who live sedentary lifestyles - go have a pop at them as well please.

At least you’re honest and not just indignant. And of course I respect your right to your opinion but would you stand at the door of a hospital puffing away like your life depended on it whilst receiving treatment for a possibly smoking related illness? If the answer is no then I’m not calling you out specifically.

Yep 100% agree about the sedentary as well. I love sport, hate(d) running but as my footballing age passed I took up running and I’m by no means fit and righteously healthy but I should probably be healthier for longer into my old age as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Trying to give up atm so this will help. Like everything else people need to be told what to do nowadays

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There's been plenty of fake news about vaping. The "popcorn lung" thing being particularly ridiculous. Couldn't be that there was a threat to billion dollar companies? Nah....

Do some research. This is uneducated nonsense.

Our lungs deal with a lot. Sure, it'd be great to live on a Swiss mountain and only ever inhale pure alpine air. But most of us live in cities where the crap we breath in every day is way more harmful than a bit of flavoured water vapour.

Nobody will smoke cigarettes soon (decade or so). Vaping will still be massively popular because humans enjoy inhaling nicotine.

The burden on health services will be miniscule in compassion and BAT will own all the vape companies.

As you were.

I feel reassured by your post so thank you. Spoke to 3 or 4 different GPs who were all pro vaping compared to smoking. I like a pack of fags when I’m on the piss still but do like the vape and am pleased to have all but stopped the fags with this method. Those commenting should just feel lucky they’ve not had the addiction of nicotine tbh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
100% right I’m judgemental - the attitude to continue doing something that WILL kill you prematurely on the proviso that the NHS will bail you out no matter what happens along the way is the type of selfish attitude that is plaguing society and making the world a mainly shocking place to exist.

And then to be receiving your free treatment and the weakness and selfishness of your affliction make you so ignorant that you stand by the doors smoking away is absolutely sickening and something I find pathetic.

We’re past the generations who could be forgiven for taking up a habit we presumed was safe for us. Anyone over the age of 18 today and smoking knows exactly what they’re doing when they do it.

It’s not free though. They will have paid something towards it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I feel reassured by your post so thank you. Spoke to 3 or 4 different GPs who were all pro vaping compared to smoking. I like a pack of fags when I’m on the piss still but do like the vape and am pleased to have all but stopped the fags with this method. Those commenting should just feel lucky they’ve not had the addiction of nicotine tbh.

I had the addiction of nicotine.... and quit. When these amazing vapers appeared I thought I might try it and found that when I inhaled my lungs pretty much shut down.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Luckily, I’ve never been addicted to cancer sticks or similar. My close peer group simply never really tried it, or dope, despite smoking still being popular in the 80’s.

It’s claimed the young lives of cousins and my Dad’s mates.

Anything that makes smoking less attractive or restricts it, can only be a good thing.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
100% right I’m judgemental - the attitude to continue doing something that WILL kill you prematurely on the proviso that the NHS will bail you out no matter what happens along the way is the type of selfish attitude that is plaguing society and making the world a mainly shocking place to exist.

And then to be receiving your free treatment and the weakness and selfishness of your affliction make you so ignorant that you stand by the doors smoking away is absolutely sickening and something I find pathetic.

We’re past the generations who could be forgiven for taking up a habit we presumed was safe for us. Anyone over the age of 18 today and smoking knows exactly what they’re doing when they do it.

this is poorly thought through. compare the financial burden on the tax payer of a smoker that dies the day he retires, and a non-smoker that lives to a hundred.

the smoker contributes more in tax and takes out significantly less

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
this is poorly thought through. compare the financial burden on the tax payer of a smoker that dies the day he retires, and a non-smoker that lives to a hundred.

the smoker contributes more in tax and takes out significantly less

Said in jest?

The family I lost to lung (or related) cancers, smokers, spent many years suffering with terminal cancer. Relying heavily on NHS consultants and expensive drugs.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Said in jest?

The family I lost to lung (or related) cancers, smokers, spent many years suffering with terminal cancer. Relying heavily on NHS consultants and expensive drugs.

not at all, i've lost several family members to cancer (as i imagine everyone has), all non-smokers. the point i'm making is that people who die prematurely don't draw their pension. also ninety year old non-smokers are in and out of hospital all the time

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I personally find it pathetic that adults still smoke at all.

Even worse when you have relatives in hospital and when you visit you’re faced with seeing and all the sad ****ers outside puffing away. So weak.

I personally find that people who make public statements like yours are pathetic.

And yes, I smoke and have no intention of quitting. That's because I enjoy it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I personally find that people who make public statements like yours are pathetic.

You technically don't enjoy it. What you perceive as enjoyment is actually a shift back to equilibrium after nicotine withdrawal. Yes it makes you feel better, but that's because you felt less than better before a fag.

I understand this totally because I vape after giving up cigs years ago.

It's the thing that non nicotine addicts don't understand. Why do you smoke / vape ?

The answer being that my body needs to feel like yours.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I smoke sometimes

I wish it was £1,000 for a pouch of tobacco

I wouldn't smoke again

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
18 if it contains nicotine, no age limit on nicotine free fluid.

I don't think it should be banned until there is a fair amount of scientific evidence that it is actually bad for you.

It should be the other way around.

Should come under the same legislation of new drugs that can save people but must go through endless tests. Lets realise that the new vaping companies have been taken over by british american tobacco...yes the same company that fought for decades against that there was any harm in cigarettes.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
At least you’re honest and not just indignant. And of course I respect your right to your opinion but would you stand at the door of a hospital puffing away like your life depended on it whilst receiving treatment for a possibly smoking related illness? If the answer is no then I’m not calling you out specifically.

Yep 100% agree about the sedentary as well. I love sport, hate(d) running but as my footballing age passed I took up running and I’m by no means fit and righteously healthy but I should probably be healthier for longer into my old age as a result.

Well, smoking IS an addiction, and people turn to their addiction in times of stress. There probably aren't many more stressful places than being treated for cancer in hospital, so I'll forgive them that. I know that absolutely when I was a smoker I would have done that. However strong you can be sometimes, when you get stressed you reach for that tab.

I was on 40 a day for 15 years and breaking that addiction took three years and a lot of effort, it's not easy (I have Allen Carr to thank, and I'm basically 10 years clean now, so it's a lot of thanks.)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Do you really enjoy it? Next fag you have, inhale deeply and think about the sensation, the taste, the feeling in your lungs. Do you enjoy that? First of the day is the best as it relieves your overnight withdrawal. All the subsequent ones are less good as you continuously try and get rid of the withdrawal sensations.

Think about wearing a pair of too-tight shoes. It feels really nice when you take them off. Is that a reason to keep putting them on?

Imagine banging your head against a wall continuously. It's an enjoyable sensation when you stop. But do you want to keep doing it just to get that sensation?

You get the idea, that's what nicotine is. I'm not preaching, just sharing. I was on 40 a day for 15 years and now I'm on none. I don't feel any different, so I often wonder what was the point of spending that 60-odd grand on fags, leaving social situations in restaurants and pubs to stand outside on my own, over and over again. I told everyone I enjoyed it too..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here