Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Rolf

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Rolf Harris's paedophile actions are indefensible, while his death is the final chapter in a sad story.

However, I wish to acknowledge his positives. I am 54 and as a kid Rolf Harris was brilliant, the way in which he created a painting whilst telling an anecdote really endeared kids and parents to him, and I am sure there are many people now who owe their love of art to him.

For kids of the 70s it is difficult to square fond childhood memories with Operation Yew Tree's uncovering of widespread sick sexual behaviour. The first record I ever bought was "I'm The Leader of The Gang" by Gary Glitter. One of my favourite shows was 'It's a Knockout' presented by Stuart Hall and - like every kid - Jim'll Fix It and Top Of The Pops were must-watch TV, with Jimmy Savile a genuine superstar.
Can’t say I ever liked Savile or his tv shows. Always thought he was a strange, scary man. That was years before I even knew what a rapist or paedophile was.

But yeah, Rolf Harris was good fun when I was a kid. I had his stilophone thing, paint by numbers sets and annuals.

Of course now I realise, he was just better at hiding what a thoroughly nasty **** he was, than Savile who juts about stoped short of wearing an
“I’m a creepy, necrophiliac nonce” sign around his neck.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Rolf Harris's paedophile actions are indefensible, while his death is the final chapter in a sad story.

However, I wish to acknowledge his positives. I am 54 and as a kid Rolf Harris was brilliant, the way in which he created a painting whilst telling an anecdote really endeared kids and parents to him, and I am sure there are many people now who owe their love of art to him.

For kids of the 70s it is difficult to square fond childhood memories with Operation Yew Tree's uncovering of widespread sick sexual behaviour. The first record I ever bought was "I'm The Leader of The Gang" by Gary Glitter. One of my favourite shows was 'It's a Knockout' presented by Stuart Hall and - like every kid - Jim'll Fix It and Top Of The Pops were must-watch TV, with Jimmy Savile a genuine superstar.
It's difficult to explain how huge these stars were. Saville, Harris, Glitter & Stuart Hall were Saturday night viewing at a time when there were only 2 entertainment channels. So yes, at the time he was very influential with catch phrases that the world knew. But it all exploded inwards for him and, whilst any death is sad for his family, I'll not miss him or shed a tear.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's difficult to explain how huge these stars were. Saville, Harris, Glitter & Stuart Hall were Saturday night viewing at a time when there were only 2 entertainment channels. So yes, at the time he was very influential with catch phrases that the world knew. But it all exploded inwards for him and, whilst any death is sad for his family, I'll not miss him or shed a tear.
Yep. The equivalents of Chris Evans, Michael Macintyre or Ant n Dec, in entertainment terms.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Historically I quite liked Rolf, unlike Saville who oozed pervert from the moment I first saw him and heard him.

I was genuinely shocked when the news of Rolf broke, not vaguely surprised about Saville

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"Dump his corpse in the bin, Jim
Dump his corpse in the bin
It's hard to get piss out a coffin, Jim
So dump his corpse in the bin, altogether now"

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
On Google there is a claim it means not on normal courtyard exercise.

I suspect this is similar to the made up Port Out Starboard Home retrospective acronym for posh.

A “backronym”, if you will.
Correct, back in the day it was written in chalk outside someone's cell, hence the title NONCE.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Or dare you say it, Phillip Schofield?
No reason his name couldn’t be there. To be 100 % clear, I’m comparing their celebrity status and in no way whatsoever suggesting that they are paedophiles.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

It is odd, and obviously very shocking, to recollect my childhood was full of watching these great tv shows that I loved... all featuring a motley crew of peados. Now, if one was to focus on my music tastes back then (when I was more a teenager) too harshly then that was also chock full of rock n roll peados and their records played on the radio.... by a load of DJ peados. FFS.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I loved his veterinary practice fly on the wall prog about 20 years back, he came across as a caring person.

Hiding the other side where he ruined young lives, forever.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was a big fan of Rolf. Learning about his behaviours was a huge disillusionment. Such a talent for entertaining people, yet deep down so unpleasant.
I agree. I liked his music, and his painting. I was very upset when I heard about his private life, and glad he was punished for it. I won't say any more as I agree with Frutos. Least said, soonest mended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here