Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rohan Ince

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
I am not a huge fan, I think it's a case of him being an NSC darling on this board and to even suggest, as some do, that he is in the same galaxy as Bridcutt is laughable. This was evident last night in the first half when he lost 3 out of 4 consecutive aerial battles which I do not comprehend for someone of his physique. In the second half, he had the run on a QPR attacker and still lost the battle which then culminated in a passage of play that created a chance for Hoilett. Also he only has one foot, he almost never passes or controls with his left and when he does it's scary as with a couple of very limp passes to the back four last night and all this slows play down like D*cker used to. He does compete well, and I can understand why he's popular, but he always seems to be a second from disaster. Bridcutt would have won 4 of those 5 heading battles, at a foot shorter! To be fair, I think he realised this himself and later in the second half he started to be more aggressive with his aerial challenges.

I am sure that he will gain confidence and turn into the monster everyone wants him to be, but he is a long way from that yet.

For me JFC was the player of the night last night, and we all know that he is not an NSC darling...for reasons I can't fathom...

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
PIG
Upson
Ince
Ulloa

A very strong backbone to this team. We can't afford to not keep these players with us. When players like Buckley/Bruno/LuaLua step up to the plate we're a formidable side. Get the tactics right with this squad and we'll do well.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I think he's better defensively than Bridcutt. But is just me, he seems less confident of surging forward than when he first broke into the team? Or is just that we expect more of him?

He's certainly not getting forward as much as he did then, but I guess Oscar has told him to play in a certain position. He still gets forward more than Bridders did most of the time.

You could probably put Ince in a more attacking midfield role and he'd do well, but I can see why he's playing in front of the defence, given his size and strength.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Not a flattering comparison for RI, but he sometimes reminds me a bit of watching Peter Smith back in Goldstone days - not many outward signs of being able to control a football, but just bombed into people and somehow emerged with the ball still at his feet.

Yoda

English & European
I've said it before and I'll say it again, he reminds me so much of Bas Savage when on the ball. He has the same canny technic of holding onto the ball when making those runs where it looks like he doesn't have it under control at all.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I do think comparisons between Ince and Bridcutt are impossible. Bridcutt was asked to play a very limited role and played it superbly. Ince is asked to do a far wider role and, consequently is growing into the role and not performing as consistently as Bridcutt. He is also young and learning.

Interestingly, in the few games Bridcutt played for us this season, Oscar was asking far more of him and he was not looking as consistent as previous seasons. Unfortunately, by going back to Gus, Bridcutt has gone back to his more limited role and we will never find out if he was capable of more.

So we will never know, but the fact that Ince seems to be up for a more demanding role means that I would probably give him the nod over Bridcutt, and certainly in the longer term.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I am not a huge fan, I think it's a case of him being an NSC darling on this board and to even suggest, as some do, that he is in the same galaxy as Bridcutt is laughable. This was evident last night in the first half when he lost 3 out of 4 consecutive aerial battles which I do not comprehend for someone of his physique. In the second half, he had the run on a QPR attacker and still lost the battle which then culminated in a passage of play that created a chance for Hoilett. Also he only has one foot, he almost never passes or controls with his left and when he does it's scary as with a couple of very limp passes to the back four last night and all this slows play down like D*cker used to. He does compete well, and I can understand why he's popular, but he always seems to be a second from disaster. Bridcutt would have won 4 of those 5 heading battles, at a foot shorter! To be fair, I think he realised this himself and later in the second half he started to be more aggressive with his aerial challenges.

I am sure that he will gain confidence and turn into the monster everyone wants him to be, but he is a long way from that yet.

For me JFC was the player of the night last night, and we all know that he is not an NSC darling...for reasons I can't fathom...

Can't agree with that. Firstly, not sure where you get that JFC is not a favourite of NSC. His misfortune was that Poyet wouldn't play him but he is coming along fine and is a great prospect. As for Ince, you are purely basing your comments by comparing him to Bridcutt. Bridcutt played with a bit more guile but Ince is just as effective as breaking up attacks. I also think he wins his fare share of aerial battles although it would be good to see that in the oppositions box at corners.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Will play in the Premier League. Just needs to be shown videos of every single one of Viera's performances, so that he knows what he can be, and how he needs to do it.
There have been a few great moments this season:
-- one was the applause last night when the ref gave us our first free kick. In the 44th minute.
-- another was Obika trying to kick the ball out of the stadium
-- but probably the best was one of several runs Ince made away against Bournemouth. The one I'm thinking of was when he covered about two-thirds of the pitch, going more-or-less in a straight line, and all the Bournemouth players -- there were perhaps five of them -- that he'd beaten were chasing after him. Ince brought rugby to football in that run. I want to see another, and can wait until next Saturday, unless the Bolton game is streamed.

My favourite was in one of the recent Saturday home games, I can't remember who is was against. He lost the ball to the defender when pushing forward on the edge of the box, then sprinted back all the way to his own box by the touchline, and won it back from their winger with a crunching challenge. Then promptly gave it away again. I LOVE watching players like him, it's proper entertainment.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My favourite was at Bournemouth where he made up about 10m on the counter attacking player (from his own blocked shot) and managed to win the ball back and a free kick.

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
These. It's bizarre, he constantly looks like an old car that's about to lose all it's tires and fall apart in a comedy way, yet SOMEHOW gets through with the ball very often. Not complaining for a second, mind.

He runs like a Giraffe on tranquilizers. He reminds me of Bas Savage, can not control a ball but beats his man 90% of the time. Sublime player to watch.

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I was saying to my mate last night, you look at Lingard who's also 21 then look at Ince, what a beast of a player we own. Just think what another 4 years of weights is going to do to his strength. His vision for a quick forward pass is very exciting indeed.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London

How can you say he is a long way off it, he is holding his own week in week out in the championship and is likely to be up there for our player of the year.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think making a post trying to make a point about overhyping a player by then going equally far in the opposite direction is laughable. JFC did okay last night, pleased to see him developing well. In Dunk, Ince and JFC (and March when he plays) we have some serious talent coming out of our talent spotting and development squad. There really isn't anything negative to say about it, even though you appear to be managing to do so pretty well.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
His Passing needs to improve big time, However you can't knock much else about him, big and strong, wins most things in the air, not the most gifted of footballers technically, but he is bloody affective.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Personally, I don't think Rohan Ince is quite back to how well he played before his recent short lay-off. He seems half a yard behind his best - now this could be explained by the quality of the opposition we played last night. But he was certainly better than against Reading, when he had, for him, I thought a poor game.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Very important player for us now. Really miss him when not in the side and considering his age and progress is remarkable.

To hold your own and boss teams in the championship week in week out at such an early age is something very special.

Scouts will be sniffing about before long

Got his autograph at the Christmas Party. I have assured Youngest Potting that she now owns the autograph of, and has seen play, a future England Captain. Possibly.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Love watching him but there are times when I'd like to see him use his size and strength to bulldoze his way through towards goal, I'm sure that sort of thing will come with time though.

Very much this.
Last night in what felt like a men v boys contest, he was our only player who seemed capable of winning the ball in a tackle.
Happy that he plays safe passes and doesnt give the ball away but i'd love to see him stride through and belt one goalwards from time to time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here