Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rogue One - A Star Wars Story Teaser Trailer

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nah Return of the Jedi nestles nicely in 4th spot for me.
Oops, that's what I meant to say. I accidentally called ROTJ 3, as it was the 3rd.

It doesn't get a bad rep from me. Christ, I even enjoy the prequels despite everything. My favourite bit of ROTJ is just seeing Luke turn into a confident Jedi (even though he's not yet) from the slightly pathetic farm boy we first saw. It was 5, 4, 6 for me. 7 is 3rd or 4th, not sure yet.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
When I watch The Force Awakens I don't think about the original at all. Sure some geeks can point out some similarities, but it just doesn't feel like the same story to me.

a lonely youth dreams of flying and and being involved in a far away conflict, they stumble upon a robot holding a secret plans which are vital to that conflict. befriending an old man, they leave the planet on a spaceship called the Millienium Falcon. they encounter some challenges on their way to delivering the robot to the rebel forces, then destroy a planet sized laser cannon, and the old man dies heroically.

which film did i just describe? i throughly enjoyed the Force Awakens, but i cant believe anyone can watch both films and not see they are essentially the same plot.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
a lonely youth dreams of flying and and being involved in a far away conflict, they stumble upon a robot holding a secret plans which are vital to that conflict. befriending an old man, they leave the planet on a spaceship called the Millienium Falcon. they encounter some challenges on their way to delivering the robot to the rebel forces, then destroy a planet sized laser cannon, and the old man dies heroically.
Er, Star Wars A New Hope. Haven't you seen it? Rey doesn't dream of being involved in a conflict, she dreams of an island. Like I said, some geeks (not that I'm not a geek) will point out the similarities, but it doesn't feel like the same movie. I don't think of one when I watch the other, I enjoy them for their own merits.

i throughly enjoyed the Force Awakens, but i cant believe anyone can watch both films and not see they are essentially the same plot.
So robots carry information (one about the death star, one about the location of a jedi). Robots tend to carry information in the SW universe, that's hardly a big deal. And old men die - well yep, there's a war on. Old men die in quite a few SW films. The Millennium Falcon was in 4, 5 and 6, so being in 7 doesn't really link it to any particular prequel.

I don't like the planet destroying weapon, that's got too repetitive IMO, but that links 7 to 6 as much as 4.

If all you think about when watching 7 is that it's the same plot as 4, just give up with SW already, you'll never be happy.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
"a wayward band of Rebel fighters comes together to carry out a desperate mission: to steal the plans for the (first) Death Star before it can be used to enforce the Emperor's rule."

OK. So we already know that the entire mission is a FAIL then

Surely it's the story of how the plans get to R2D2 via Leia?

So we know they succeed?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Oops, that's what I meant to say. I accidentally called ROTJ 3, as it was the 3rd.

It doesn't get a bad rep from me. Christ, I even enjoy the prequels despite everything. My favourite bit of ROTJ is just seeing Luke turn into a confident Jedi (even though he's not yet) from the slightly pathetic farm boy we first saw. It was 5, 4, 6 for me. 7 is 3rd or 4th, not sure yet.

I put number three above ROTJ for a long time. Watched ROTJ again recently and I may need to revise that as it was better than I remember. Currently wAtching original three again with the fishlets:)

Latest one is brilliant though and comes in at number 3 for me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Er, Star Wars A New Hope. Haven't you seen it?

yes and yes. apart from the order of a couple of points, its the same. you seem overly defensive about this issue, as i say i throughly enjoyed and quite happy about the reimagining, just see it as such.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
It sure was, but I generally think of Bothans as the equivalent of Ensigns that accompany Star Trek commanding officers onto a new planet. They likely gonna die for any good cause...

The landing party will.be.4 main characters and Ensign Cannon Fodder, put on your red jumper Ensign Cannon Fodder.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Fantastic and the geek in me returns. Cannot wait and am so excited.:O

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
yes and yes. apart from the order of a couple of points, its the same. you seem overly defensive about this issue, as i say i throughly enjoyed and quite happy about the reimagining, just see it as such.

I'm with you. I loved The Force Awakens, but it did look, feel and go along similar plot lines at a similar pace to A New Hope. I left the cinema happy it had returned to territory that I had originally fallen in love with, but I also knew that Abrams had essentially rebooted A New Hope - which is no bad thing.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I'm with you. I loved The Force Awakens, but it did look, feel and go along similar plot lines at a similar pace to A New Hope. I left the cinema happy it had returned to territory that I had originally fallen in love with, but I also knew that Abrams had essentially rebooted A New Hope - which is no bad thing.
indeed, as he had already done with 'Star Trek: Into Darkness', which rebooted 'Wrath of Khan'.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This spoiler free review makes me very happy:

http://mashable.com/2016/12/13/rogue-one-spoiler-free-review/#6VcDFMAN4PqI

For those who don't want to open it, just in case the opening lines of the review are:

This is all you really need to know: Rogue One is a hell of a good movie.

I mean that in both possible interpretations: the new Star Wars prequel is an instant classic, a well-plotted, well-paced piece of supremely visual entertainment with a heart — and its sympathetic heroes go through an overwhelming amount of hell. Enough to make your heart rattle in your chest.

Yay! Can't wait.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Taking my 8 year old on Monday. I'm wondering if she might find it too much? She was ok for force awakens, but as this is supposed to be the most violent start wars yet, I'm not sure if she might find it too much? Once anyone has seen it, please post if there is anything that i need to cover her eyes for. She's ok with watching the other Star Wars movies and also things like Pirates of the Caribbean, but I've heard this film compared to saving private Ryan! When I bought the tickets, I didn't know it would potentially be as voiolent as some are saying.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Taking my 8 year old on Monday. I'm wondering if she might find it too much? She was ok for force awakens, but as this is supposed to be the most violent start wars yet, I'm not sure if she might find it too much? Once anyone has seen it, please post if there is anything that i need to cover her eyes for. She's ok with watching the other Star Wars movies and also things like Pirates of the Caribbean, but I've heard this film compared to saving private Ryan! When I bought the tickets, I didn't know it would potentially be as voiolent as some are saying.
Lads and girls I'm taking on Saturday are all 9 or 10 so I'll try to remember to report back on here when we get back mate.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

I don’t want to give anything away, but I’d argue that the comparison with Saving Private Ryan is more tonal than anything else (they do feel similar in places) – R1 is in places definitely a war film, but isn’t in the same league in terms of sheer awful bloody horror so I’d venture that this is fine for an 8 year old.

If she’s ok with Stormtroopers getting shot with lasers then she’ll be ok.

Plus the film itself is just brilliant. :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Wasn't that sure for the first 5-10 minutes, but then really got into it and absolutely loved it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm fine, just got something in my eye.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Taking my 8 year old on Monday. I'm wondering if she might find it too much?
The worst is the beginning. I can post an insignificant spoiler if you like, which you can tell him/her to make it better.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Amazing film, never thought a film would match the originals but it's incredibly close.

The last hour in particular made me feel like a ten year old again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here