Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rodriguez and Lallana in England squad

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
John Stones at Everton will be a very good CB in the future.

I like Lallana, and Rodriguez has been playing well under Pochettino. Barkley being in makes me happy, but I think we should be looking at someone other than Cleverley...he's not got any special quality that you want from an English midfielder like Gerrard or Lampard etc.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Cleverley looked pretty decent at Wigan but gone right downhill ever since. Clearly not international class at this moment in time.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
we really have got to the bottom of the barrel. There were 4 players who started for the English clubs in the champions league this week who are eligible for England caps.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Fair enough, but he is playing at Centre back, unlike Jones or Smalling.

Who are the English Centre backs playing regually in the premier league? who are starting on a regualr basis?
English centre backs are an issue at present.

Terry is playing but not available for selection.

Dawson lacks pace.

Lescott is not a guaranteed starter at club level.

Taylor at Newcastle has never kicked on.

It is a worrying area for England.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Lewis Dunk?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forum Fiend v1.0.1.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I wrote a piece for the State of the Game football website about 6 months ago where I was suggesting that Roy Hodgson should pay a visit to St Mary's in order to have a look at some players who could come under consideration for an England call-up. I reckon he must have read my piece! Mind you, I remember the main feedback I had was that I hadn't even included a mention of Jay Rodriguez in the piece I wrote.

I can see Hodgson's thinking calling up Rodriguez as he wants to look at a forward who can operate from the wide channels and cut inside and Rodriguez certainly offers that, he has good pace and is a regular goalscorer. I'd also say that Adam Lallana's call-up is well deserved. England are a bit short of options for players who can play on the left side of midfield and Lallana is the type of player you could play in that area to allow a roaming full back like Leighton Baines to make overlapping runs. He's also someone who is generally very good at keeping possession, which is something England have been guilty of losing too easily in the recent past.

The likes of Berahino and Morrison I'd imagine are on his radar, I'd imagine Hodgson knows of Berahino's potential from his days as West Brom manager. But I think he also doesn't want to push them too soon and they are getting regular football in the under-21s and playing well at that level, so it's probably best for them to remain there for the benefit of their development at this stage.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Lallana definately deserves a shout... how many remember about 6 years ago soemone touting Lallana on here to come to Brighton as he was supposedly going to be released by the Saints. Seem to remember we were quite scathing. Wish wed got him now.

Lallana was set to join on loan many years ago when Wilkins was manager, the move was lined up and dick knight blocked it !!! Big mistake; although we would never have signed him permanently and he has peaked very late for a footballer.....

My brother was best friends with him at school he's a great kid. Still keeps in touch with his old friends and has zero ego. Adam even keeps an eye on Brighton results and I'm sure he will be trying extra hard when saints play palace!!

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Both deserve a chance. Most other international squads are chosen on form not reputation. Nice to see England trying to do the same

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here