Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rodriguez and Lallana in England squad

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's a sign of how well Roy has done that no one has yet posted a "I don't give a shit about England" comment.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I like Rodriguez.

At the time Saints signed him I chuckled as I thought £7m for the wrong Burnley striker :lolol:

But I have to say he looks class when I have seen him on TV.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ruddy lets in 7 then gets a call up. I wouldn't normally care but I'm still reeling from him being in my FF team and getting me -4 this week.
Hart, dropped by City.
Let the Forster start.

Just thought, who are England playing?

Why would you have a Norwich defensive player in your FF team?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Why would you have a Norwich defensive player in your FF team?

If he makes more saves than most in games, bonus points possibley.

I had Hart and I feel I need to apologise to him as I have basically screwed up his season by doing so.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
...................Forster....................

Walker.....Jagielka....Cahill.......Baines

............Gerrard......Lampard.........

Townsend....Rooney...Sturridge....Lallana

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Its a shame Caulker hasnt been given a chance, I really think he deserves one and should be in the squad ahead of either smalling, Jones or one of the three left backs IMO.

Not sure Caulker has done an awful lot this season. Yes he is playing, but essentially he has dropped a level within the Premier League.

Smalling and Jones are a worry, not because they are rubbish, more that they rarely play at centre back for Utd.

The lack of quality young centre backs is a worry.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
3 left-backs. Why?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's a huge 28-man squad (including SIX strikers) - can only assume he intends to field almost completely different teams in the two games.

I get that but we all know Cashley and Baines are nailed on for the 2 left-back spots in Brazil, so what's the point?

The good news is that Hodgson doesn't seem to making any glaring omissions, although it's disappointing Cleverley is still getting picked despite a really poor start to the season.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Not sure Caulker has done an awful lot this season. Yes he is playing, but essentially he has dropped a level within the Premier League.

Smalling and Jones are a worry, not because they are rubbish, more that they rarely play at centre back for Utd.

Fair enough, but he is playing at Centre back, unlike Jones or Smalling.

Who are the English Centre backs playing regually in the premier league? who are starting on a regualr basis?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

Dawson should be getting a cap in my opinion.

I get that but we all know Cashley and Baines are nailed on for the 2 left-back spots in Brazil, so what's the point?

The good news is that Hodgson doesn't seem to making any glaring omissions, although it's disappointing Cleverley is still getting picked despite a really poor start to the season.

What if Cashley gets crocked? Alternatively, he may well retire after the WC, so given that's nailed on for the WC may as well give the replacement a go. I don't really have a problem with it, other than I suppose he could have let Cashley have the time off rather than turning up for England duty if he wants to blood Gibbs.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012

It'd a good point. Once CB was our strongest position, we almost had an embarrassment of riches there - Campbell, Keown, Ferdinand, Terry, Southgate, King, Woodgate, Carragher, Brown.... if Cahill or Jagielka were to get injured next Summer we'd be well and truly screwed.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

I like Caulker and I think he's going to be a star in th efuture but from what I've seen on MOTD this seson, he hasn't played that well.

On the goalkeeper front I honestly think after Hart that Butland is our best keeper ability wise, but as he's back on loan in our division was never going to get a look in.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
It'd a good point. Once CB was our strongest position, we almost had an embarrassment of riches there - Campbell, Keown, Ferdinand, Terry, Southgate, King, Woodgate, Carragher, Brown.... if Cahill or Jagielka were to get injured next Summer we'd be well and truly screwed.

Saddest thing is that two of the best, Woodgate and King were so injury prone. Both as good as Ferdinand technically I think.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

I get what you're saying here but I don't think it should be considered a negative against his England chances.

He's unarguably playing for a weaker side this season but that doesn't change the quality of the opposition he's facing week after week. In a similar way to Lambert/Lallana for Southampton, regularly playing well for a weaker team should surely be considered better than being mediocre in a leading one?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Walker, jones, smalling, Richards are not old (and g Johnson).

Right back is the least of our worries, albeit walker has been awful for 9-10 months.

Disagree with you there.

None of those players at RB fill me with confidence. Smalling is playing there now for Man U which should help. Johnson is alright but world cup year needs to be playing and bang in form. Concerning position for me unlike LB where we have say Cole , Gibbs and Baines.

CB concerns as well but apart from that I think we are pretty solid with a bit of depth.

Just remember 2012 Euros, look at the squad and teams we put out. We are much better on paper now

edit - to add I do remember Danny Mills being almost our player of tournament at RB in 2002 so someone may majorly step up. Roy does seem to get it that its not about names but more about the team. Can get you a long way with lesser players that philosophy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here