Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi To Leave Albion After Tomorrow's Game

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think a lot of RDZ’s tactics are theoretical. There’s an interview with Gilmour on the BBC where he talks about them being “like FIFA video games”.

Of course the AIs on there have patterns they move to and tend to control the ball. RDZ’s tactics rely on 95% perfection from the players. A heavy touch, a misplaced pass, a player out of position can ruin it.

In theory coaches and board should work in lockstep as we develop technical, tactically aware players.

In truth, I suspect RDZ has been frustrated that our new players make basic errors that break the tactics and the board get frustrated that he can’t adapt to the squad reality.
Not sure he’s leaving us because of any of that. Bloom/Barber are frustrated he publicly questions the project, model and washes his hands of responsibility for the string of heavy defeats and failures to beat Burnley, Everton, Sheff Utd.
He’s frustrated because he’s ultra ambitious, wants to manage at an elite club, and presumably irked that a few roles have slipped through his fingers.
That said there’s still a lot of mutual admiration, they’ve clearly not fallen out - it’s very much an amicable divorce. And the end of the season is hence - the right time for both sides.

The squad is a terrific squad, the injuries haven’t helped but Bloom does spend - despite the idea that he doesn’t back managers (nonsense) and sustainability rules will put us in a better place this summer compared to many.

We’ll be alright. In a week - it will be the King is Dead , long live the King. Or Kieran McKenna or someone. And we go again. Will bloody miss him though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I wasn’t quite sure how we could. Beyond injured Velts and Estupinan, god awful FB’s who can’t defend, and literally no PL quality DM destroyer on the books.
You don’t continue to go hung-ho for starters, RdZ as brilliant as an offensive coach as he was, had limited defensive structure as continues to be proven.
Both Chelsea’s goals were rank bad defending.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Bottom line is we were short of 2 central midfielders, a right back , before the season started ,,
and with a European campaign we were always going to be pushed to our limits , but no one could of guessed our injury crisis,
with no reinforcements coming in January, the second Part of the season was always going to be a struggle,
the club made £125 million last season and will be something similar this season, you would of thought we could of got a couple more decent players in to help the squad, one of our weaknesses is our players are all over 30 or very young , we need some players in the mid 20s to get a better balanced team , the football last season was the best football I have ever seen a Brighton team play , and I doubt we will ever see the like of it again,
I can see us going back to the days of counting down the points so we won’t get relegated

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It would have been so easy to accept if De Zerbi had been tempted with another job offer but if he has been told after club has received £300m plus in transfers he is not able to strngthen squad to his satisfaction I can understand he wanting to move on. We already know 3 big players not fit to start next season and he knows we will struggle with present squad.
Lets face it when we were promoted we spent £60/70m to reach PL standard. This did the trick and same is needed now

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Maybe we should include this question in the interviews.
I would suggest a limit of 2.5 sexes a week tops. If any candidates mention reverse cowboys or doggies they should be shown the door.
If the new coach says there are no reverse cowboys allowed it may cut down groin injuries! :unsure:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You don’t continue to go hung-ho for starters, RdZ as brilliant as an offensive coach as he was, had limited defensive structure as continues to be proven.
Both Chelsea’s goals were rank bad defending.

I think we were part of his experimenting and learning curve.

Last season we saw stunning football, shirley the best in our history by a country mile. Could he replicate that at Bayern where they raid continental clubs for the greatest players? I think he would. With world class defenders and pivots, all with searing pace, defence almost takes care of itself.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That was my point- one goal against in 180 mins against those opponents.

Other games? Yes we conceded way too much and couldn’t score.
But then the damage was done.
Chelsea the same happened again….. 😔

That inability to flex is the issue.
Fair point re Villa and Newcastle, but we looked better as a unit from the forwards back, and neither team threatened us from the wing as much.

Gordon had drifted more central for example, but even on the goal we conceded they created the same overlap as Chelsea, Luton, Fulham, Villa etc….

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Also re injuries and what we need and it being obvious and thus the club let him down. Well maybe - but it’s easy to say that now. Hindsight is everything.

Bloom spent millions last summer, brought in Ansu Fati for starters. Hardly penny pinching. RDZ also needs to own up to why he couldn’t get that squad to beat Luton or Burnley or Fulham or Brentford (a) etc etc

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It would have been so easy to accept if De Zerbi had been tempted with another job offer but if he has been told after club has received £300m plus in transfers he is not able to strngthen squad to his satisfaction I can understand he wanting to move on. We already know 3 big players not fit to start next season and he knows we will struggle with present squad.
Lets face it when we were promoted we spent £60/70m to reach PL standard. This did the trick and same is needed now
The club will spend money on the right player at the right price. Sometimes that fits in with the managers expectations, sometimes it doesn't. It can be a frustrating model but it is ultimately the one that delivered a squad that qualified for Europe. The ultimate question is whether that model can take us further? The club seem to think so and I don't see any reason to doubt that at the moment.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think we were part of his experimenting and learning curve.

Last season we saw stunning football, shirley the best in our history by a country mile. Could he replicate that at Bayern where they raid continental clubs for the greatest players? I think he would. With world class defenders and pivots, all with searing pace, defence almost takes care of itself.
Great post and possibly at a club like Bayern, almost certainly, but we’re not Bayern so he has to adapt, and struggled to IMO…..

BTW - I do love RdZ for everything he gave us, last season was just amazing, best football ever for me, but the last 3-4 months it hasn’t been…..
Almost liked we peaked this year at United (though that’s probably harsh).

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
If the new coach says there are no reverse cowboys allowed it may cut down groin injuries! :unsure:

Yes, but more clogged drains in the showers of the changing room.

Although the plumbers on NSC I'm sure will able to talk the changing room attendants through any needed repairs. :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Great post and possibly at a club like Bayern, almost certainly, but we’re not Bayern so he has to adapt, and struggled to IMO…..

BTW - I do love RdZ for everything he gave us, last season was just amazing, best football ever for me, but the last 3-4 months it hasn’t been…..
Almost liked we peaked this year at United (though that’s probably harsh).

The writing was on the wall even during the early season lofty position. FFS fkn Moyes finally got an Amex win due to suicidal defending from the first seconds, I can’t forget Estupinan being stuck 80 yards upfield in static play against a low-block whilst West Ham tucked away three goals against mugs, first half against Bmuff we were rubbish. I didn’t get fooled by the Ajax wins, in the bread n butter of playing PL football we had glaring inadequacies all the way through. Well, almost.

Brighton 4-1 Palarse was an incredible goodbye pressie from RDZ. Grazie Signore.

Last edited:

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Yes, but more clogged drains in the showers of the changing room.

Although the plumbers on NSC I'm sure will able to talk the changing room attendants through any needed repairs. :)
Your 'incognito' Google search for 'reverse cowboy' must've gone on a different path to mine! :unsure:
Anyway, back to thinking about finding ways to minimise the injury list for next season! :lolol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The writing was on the wall even during the early season lofty position. FFS fkn Moyes finally got an Amex win due to suicidal defending from the first seconds, I can’t forget Estupinan being stuck 80 yards upfield in static play against a low-block whilst West Ham tucked away three goals against mugs, first half against Bmuff we were rubbish. I didn’t get tricked by the Ajax wins, in the bread n butter of playing PL football we had glaring inadequacies all the way through. Well, almost.

Brighton 4-1 Palarse was an incredible goodbye pressie from RDZ. Grazie Signore.
Surely the writing was on the wall when Liverpool scored 3 quick goals after we went 2-0 up in , hang on , …

Ha !

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The writing was on the wall even during the early season lofty position. FFS fkn Moyes finally got an Amex win due to suicidal defending from the first seconds, I can’t forget Estupinan being stuck 80 yards upfield in static play against a low-block whilst West Ham tucked away three goals against mugs, first half against Bmuff we were rubbish. I didn’t get fooled by the Ajax wins, in the bread n butter of playing PL football we had glaring inadequacies all the way through. Well, almost.

Exactly - never learned

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly - never learned

Said in a friendly way … did you say anything after West Ham, Villa, AEK, all those home draws against relegation fodder? I wouldn’t know.

A few people here stuck their necks out in identifying a huge decline in our squad/football over one summer. Then rounded on by happy-clappers who saw a team marching on to Dublin :lolol: and another top 6 finish, or the distraction merchants obsessed in blaming match officials.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here