Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi To Leave Albion After Tomorrow's Game

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
72 days since Roma away. How things can go so disappointly so quickly ?
If I could choose a game to play and set up differently again, it would be that one.
Also let's not forget the injuries.

But thank you RDZ for giving us that opportunity. And 2 great seasons.

The inadequate 2023/24 first team/squad was already exposed as substandard.
Villa 6
Luton 4
Fulham 3

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Left after one season, has had an absolute ton of jobs since and not done well in any of them.

Often delegated training - this from one of his players - and couldn’t be reached on the phone on deadline day.

Overachieved with that squad to be fair, but we were never going up and after falling out with two coaches over transfer policy we appointed yes man Hyypia. That went well.
Agree - have to say people moan about Hughton’s brand in the PL, but I found Garcia totally boring. The end justified the means, but along with Hyypia, I thought he wasn’t great.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Villa 6
Luton 4
Fulham 3
You’re right, but when you are conceding similar goals in all the above, you have to question tactics, weaker squad or not.

Although comes across well (and I do like him), in footballing terms I think there is a degree of arrogance tactically.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think Potter has been wishing and a hoping and a thinking and a praying that TB thinks he has learned his lesson. Potter is so ensconced in Hove that I think he will stay there until he gets a recall. We could do worse and at least we get our Bruno back.

I always thought that Potter was going to be long term and was really annoyed when he left (something that as much as I love RDZ, was never going to happen).

He's obviously learnt his lesson about those who drop their drawers first, (something most of us learn at 16/17) and noticeably hasn't jumped since. When he buggered off his team were really rocking and I get the impression winning the fans over would be a far bigger job than winning over TB/OBE.

I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I certainly wouldn't bet against :wink:

Pliny the Gull

Mar 4, 2024
Villa 6
Luton 4
Fulham 3
Get your point. But pre January and injuries ,performances were good.
Man u
Spurs
Newcastle
Wolves.
I would agree that depth of squad standard has let us down, with expectations that all will be good when everyone is available at 1st Feb. Which didn't happen

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You’re right, but when you are conceding similar goals in all the above, you have to question tactics, weaker squad or not.

Although comes across well (and I do like him), in footballing terms I think there is a degree of arrogance tactically.
I think a lot of RDZ’s tactics are theoretical. There’s an interview with Gilmour on the BBC where he talks about them being “like FIFA video games”.

Of course the AIs on there have patterns they move to and tend to control the ball. RDZ’s tactics rely on 95% perfection from the players. A heavy touch, a misplaced pass, a player out of position can ruin it.

In theory coaches and board should work in lockstep as we develop technical, tactically aware players.

In truth, I suspect RDZ has been frustrated that our new players make basic errors that break the tactics and the board get frustrated that he can’t adapt to the squad reality.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Stubbornness on playing a game like ManC/LFC. Requiring focused players of quality able to carry it out. The 2023/24 Albion squad was never going to be able to hit those heights over 46+ games.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Thanks for the memories.
Now off you f***.
Scassacazzo.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I believe his release was around the 12m mark??, so about Dan Burn type money. No-one wants an unhappy manager slumped on his seat sucking lemons for a few months while we wait for one of the big boys to stump up the cash and whisk him away. I think a mutual parting suits everyone.
Won’t he be on gardening leave?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think a lot of RDZ’s tactics are theoretical. There’s an interview with Gilmour on the BBC where he talks about them being “like FIFA video games”.

Of course the AIs on there have patterns they move to and tend to control the ball. RDZ’s tactics rely on 95% perfection from the players. A heavy touch, a misplaced pass, a player out of position can ruin it.

In theory we should work in lockstep as we develop technical, tactically aware players.

In truth, I suspect RDZ has been frustrated that our new players make basic errors that break the tactics and the board get frustrated that he can’t adapt to the squad reality.
Yes, I believe he walks through situations without a ball, similar to a basketball team, when they run a ‘pick’, in our case drills to beat a press.

As you say it takes one error and the drill can fall apart.

However, my issue is more around that in the same way you can get cheat codes in video games, or learn the logic of play by an opponent, and then adapt, RdZ did not seem to learn from his own mistakes. See Fulham, Luton, Roma even Chelsea’s second, all teams do is exploit space as we (at times) blindly pile forward.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, I believe he walks through situations without a ball, similar to a basketball team, when they run a ‘pick’, in our case drills to beat a press.

As you say it takes one error and the drill can fall apart.

However, my issue is more around that in the same way you can get cheat codes in video games, or learn the logic of play by an opponent, and then adapt, RdZ did not seem to learn from his own mistakes. See Fulham, Luton, Roma even Chelsea’s second, all teams do is exploit space as we (at times) blindly pile forward.
But Villa and Newcastle were pure plan B. More defensive, longer passes.

I honestly think he was adapting. Maybe he just didn’t like doing so?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree - have to say people moan about Hughton’s brand in the PL, but I found Garcia totally boring. The end justified the means, but along with Hyypia, I thought he wasn’t great.

I hated the Garcia times, dull as dishwater football, Ulloa going to ground in every challenge and moaning. Bored senseless sitting in WSU front row, I spent the 90 minutes admiring the ever improving Amex architecture or watching steward snatch squads revelling in ejecting folk for standing in the NS back rows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here