Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Apologies if fixtures but couldn't see this elsewhere...

The FA's regulation and discipline statement from this morning reads: "Brighton's Roberto De Zerbi has been charged following their Premier League game against Fulham on Saturday, February 18. It's alleged that the manager's behaviour on the pitch at full time was improper and that his behaviour and/or language towards a match official in the tunnel afterwards was abusive and/or insulting and/or improper. Roberto De Zerbi has until Monday, February 27, to provide a response."

Sussex Live have said:
It remains to be seen if De Zerbi will receive a fine or a touchline ban. He has already received two yellow cards this season and according to the FA's rules, if a manager gets four cautions over a campaign they will be suspended for one game. Any possible ban could be lengthened if he appeals against the FA charge. Brighton face Stoke City in the FA Cup on February 28 and then West Ham in the Premier League on March 4.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

The FA's regulation and discipline statement from this morning reads: "Brighton's Roberto De Zerbi has been charged following their Premier League game against Fulham on Saturday, February 18. It's alleged that the manager's behaviour on the pitch at full time was improper and that his behaviour and/or language towards a match official in the tunnel afterwards was abusive and/or insulting and/or improper. Roberto De Zerbi has until Monday, February 27, to provide a response."
He's learning English even quicker and better than we thought, then!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Sussex Live have said:
It remains to be seen if De Zerbi will receive a fine or a touchline ban. He has already received two yellow cards this season and according to the FA's rules, if a manager gets four cautions over a campaign they will be suspended for one game. Any possible ban could be lengthened if he appeals against the FA charge. Brighton face Stoke City in the FA Cup on February 28 and then West Ham in the Premier League on March 4.
If he only said what he said he said to the ref there is no way he can be charged with anything to do with abuse/insulting or improper behaviour is there?

Has the ref been charged with being useless?

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
If he only said what he said he said to the ref there is no way he can be charged with anything to do with abuse/insulting or improper behaviour is there?

Maybe it depends on how it was delivered? It doesn’t matter what words you say if you are shouting in their face or excessively angry/rude. I am not saying he was, only that none of us were there so we can’t say they don’t have some grounds that this might be justified.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Maybe it depends on how it was delivered? It doesn’t matter what words you say if you are shouting in their face or excessively angry/rude. I am not saying he was, only that none of us were there so we can’t say they don’t have some grounds that this might be justified.
I am almost 100% sure whatever he said or how he said it, would have been way calmer and polite them I would have been to the utterly usless tw@t at the end of the game.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I am almost 100% sure whatever he said or how he said it, would have been way calmer and polite them I would have been to the utterly usless tw@t at the end of the game.
Me too I expect, but then we aren’t managers who are expected to behave ourselves!

I am not meaning to criticise RDZ if he did, everyone gets a bit upset sometimes but I do feel that the likelihood of anyone going to see the ref in the tunnel and just calmly and quietly delivering a speech when they are really angry, to be a bit unlikely tbh. You also appear to get away with a fair amount when talking to a ref behind closed doors, so they must have some reason and evidence to base a charge on.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I'm guessing he said more to the ref than he actually *said* he said... If he was being truthful to the media, I – like you – don't understand what he would get a red card for.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm guessing he said more to the ref than he actually *said* he said... If he was being truthful to the media, I – like you – don't understand what he would get a red card for.
Pretty sure that the club appealed against the red card earlier this week so, conceivably, this is the PL's counter-move

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pretty sure that the club appealed against the red card earlier this week so, conceivably, this is the PL's counter-move
Excellent they can ramp up the ban…which they will. Bunch of see you next Tuesdays.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
“De Derbi went onto claim that he did not swear at Mr England, insisting it was a Fulham player and that his red card was therefore a result of mistaken identity.

“I can hear one opponent say a bad word and I won’t repeat this word. The referee without personality to keep the game in control. One time I lost time with the meeting and it will never happen again. I’m not in England just to let me fool around by the meetings.”

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
“De Derbi went onto claim that he did not swear at Mr England, insisting it was a Fulham player and that his red card was therefore a result of mistaken identity.

“I can hear one opponent say a bad word and I won’t repeat this word. The referee without personality to keep the game in control. One time I lost time with the meeting and it will never happen again. I’m not in England just to let me fool around by the meetings.”
It would be almost ridiculously laughable if, just days after having to apologise THREE times for referee cock-ups, there is yet another cock-up (mistaken identity)!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Deep down does he seem a Barber or Bloom man? Nope, got the job because there was little else available when GPott walked.

He'll be gone in the summer.
True, there was ’little else available when GPott walked’ - of the same high calibre as RDZ.

He is an exceptional talent and had the perfect style of football and tactical approach to pick up from where GP left off and take us to the next level - we were frankly lucky to get him since Serie A teams like Juve were looking and he would not have been available at all if Russia hadn’t invaded Ukraine and interrupted a very successful season at SD. As it is, we ended up with one of the most highly regarded coaches in Italian football and one of Europe’s most exiting young coaches. . To me, he comes across as deeply passionate about football, with a philosophical approach to coaching, extremely committed to his work, ready to go the extra mile for every one of his players and strongly invested in his team - we can see all that on the touchline week in week out - In that respect, he is very much ‘a Barber or Bloom man’ .

(If anything is tempting him to leave more than anything at the moment imo, is how VAR and some appalling level of refereeing and too much shitehousery behaviour of lesser teams on the pitch is making the EPL game unattractive for him - having said that, any Serie A team might struggle to cough up what is rumoured to be an £11.5m release clause)

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!

De Derbi? Is that meant as an insult like calling Potter, Plodder?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Until recently I’ve been working on the theory that I really need to bathe in the fruity goodness of this season because this might well be as good as it gets. It felt nailed on that the big clubs would be forming an orderly queue in the close season and we’d be looking at a very different squad come August.

Now I’m daring to dream a little beyond August. The club’s excellent work in lining up new deals for Mac Allister, Caicedo, Lallana and Solly suggests we are serious about keeping this squad together by forcing any suitors into having to offer truly eye watering sums.

What really has me thinking some of our biggest names might be about next season is the absolutely rave reviews RDZ seems to be attracting from the players themselves. It genuinely feels like there’s just something a little extra about the guy and that the players would gladly sell a lung for him.

It might well just be the seagull tinted spectacles, but I’m wondering if the club is going all out to hang onto this squad for one more season to have a serious tilt at breaking the big boys’ club and that RDZ is the lynchpin in keeping them together.

OK. Call me a soft old romantic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here