Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Just listened to the Villa presser.

Very impressed with RDZ's strategy vs Chelsea to play very intensely right from the off to get the fans up for it and become the 12th man behind the team. Worked a treat.

I like how he speaks about the players and how they 'get' his ideas right away. You can see he's excited to coach our team with the quality of players at his disposal who can play his brand of football.

And that he's a football geek, he's going to watch almost every game in the WC I thought was telling of his mindset.

Also his English is really coming along in leaps and bounds.

After half a dozen games under RDZ, I'm of the opinion that we've had an upgrade. Chris Hughton was exactly what we needed at the time after the Hyypia era. CH was an upgrade and we became a good Championship side.

Potter was exactly what we needed at the time to upgrade from CH and he transformed our playing style once again to be a decent EPL side.

Now under RDZ, even early doors, you can see us becoming a decent consistent top 10 side.
His English is definitely much better. Explain g himself very clearly and quite complicated sentence structure in places

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree.I would say the flexibility/rewriting of the facts are from those that think we were prolific at home under Potter.

However, surely no-one can deny that Potter changed our footballing mentality to a more attacking one. As good as he was tactically (and he is), I just never felt he was fully in sync with the fans.

RdZ on the other hand is way more ‘fan friendly’, and in footballing terms has continued Potters work.

I don’t begrudge Potter leaving, but I really do feel he is a shallow arse, who despite the degree doesn’t really understand the human psyche. I’m sure his dissertation was good though, and obviously got over 40%.
Two points:
1, is anyone really claiming that we were prolific at home under Potter?
2, I'm not fully in sync with our fans either, many of whom have contrived to show themselves to be ever so sensitive souls

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Told you. Was always going to be tough.
Played them 3 weeks too late. The key players injured in Gerrard’s time are all back.

We played all the lightweight technicians, got sucked into an arm-wrestle with their phalanx of bruisers and divers. Very much like many of the Potter home non-wins.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Tough...they were awful, first away win of the season and I can see why. Did sanchez even touch it apart from getting the ball out the net twice?
And exactly the sort of home game we’ve struggled in for 3 years plus they’ve now got an excellent manager.

To me this was a highly, highly predictable result. As I said on the match thread this morning and another thread last week, would have been pleased with a point before the game started.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Welcome back to earth, some of you....

As I've said about a million times, tactics and passion and instructions and shit are all very nice and sweet but it really is the players that win and lose games, and there is no surprise that pretty much the same set of players as in the last two years would also struggle with what they've struggled with for those years.

I want to see a bit of Evan Ferguson in these types of games. Not saying he should be a starter, or come as a sub in every game, but when they are defending with 10 men around their own penalty box and you try to combine through the middle... good luck. Need to use the width and cross it to someone who can actually head the ball.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Welcome back to earth, some of you....

As I've said about a million times, tactics and passion and instructions and shit are all very nice and sweet but it really is the players that win and lose games, and there is no surprise that pretty much the same set of players as in the last two years would also struggle with what they've struggled with for those years.

I want to see a bit of Evan Ferguson in these types of games. Not saying he should be a starter, or come as a sub in every game, but when they are defending with 10 men around their own penalty box and you try to combine through the middle... good luck. Need to use the width and cross it to someone who can actually head the ball.

What a twat you are. Almost as if you were waiting for todays performance to give you a platform.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What a twat you are. Almost as if you were waiting for todays performance to give you a platform.
I've been pretty open about that I've been very impressed (but without joining in on the whole CL-here-we-come-stuff) so far, and expressed that multiple times. Today I was not particularly impressed, and also express that... while also explaining that there's no magic managers or magic tactics, most of it comes down to player quality and what kind of players you have.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Why? Pretty spot on with his analysis. GP couldn't find a way to beat these teams. Can RDZ? Let's be honest - there was a lot of folk getting pretty carried away on here after Chelsea and arsenal. Understandably in a way but today is a bit of back to reality that RDZ isn't the messiah just yet

We definitely missed Mitoma and his trickery today though re width.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
agreed - wolves papered over the cracks a bit but we can concede 2-3 goals a game and expect to get anything out of it

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Bad day for RDZ. The stuff he tried, presumably the terrible corner routines, Enciso didn't come off

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'd say it was a pretty accurate assessment. Instead of 'waiting' for a performance like today, I think many of us were expecting it...

But sure, call him a twat if it makes you feel better 🤷‍♂️

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
How many yellows does a manager have to accrue for a ban?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bad day for RDZ. The stuff he tried, presumably the terrible corner routines, Enciso didn't come off
Liked the idea with those corner routines. Not great execution and not sure it was the right team to do it against, but the idea was good.

Can't get my head around the Enciso sub though, agree with that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here