Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And his first season, when they were there?

I’m not knocking Potter as he was excellent, but our home record wasn’t great, and given what Hyypia experienced, as the pressure cranked up it would have been difficult for him.

The 14 game winless streak at home that we're talking about lasted between June 30 2020 and January 31 2021, only the games against Southampton and Sheffield had any attendance.

Home record overall wasn't great, that is true, but the streak many are talking about had not much more impact on those attending home games than if they had been played on Mars or in Western Sahara.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The 14 game winless streak at home that we're talking about lasted between June 30 2020 and January 31 2021, only the games against Southampton and Sheffield had any attendance.

Home record overall wasn't great, that is true, but the streak many are talking about had not much more impact on those attending home games than if they had been played on Mars or in Western Sahara.

I was talking more broadly (sorry, should have read more pages).

Still feel, however that GP got lucky with the absence of fans.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I’m not knocking Potter as he was excellent, but our home record wasn’t great, and given what Hyypia experienced, as the pressure cranked up it would have been difficult for him.

Pre-lock down it was P14 W4 D6 L4 pts 18 ppg 1.29. Given what we'd seen the season before, not too shabby. Performances were nothing like we'd seen with Hyppia though, while results didn't necessarily come, we were often on the front foot and performing well.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

In 2021/22 we went 30 games, and nearly 8 months in the PL front of fans where Albion won once at home. And that was on Boxing Day when the ground was half full. This Sliding Doors idea that if fans had been there during lockdown , he’d have been out , is pretty unlikely given Bloom was loyal, he kept us up and the performances at least were better. But given that Fans also largely stood by him even when put through a 2nd miserable home run post lockdown , a few boos aside , then it’s hard to see why it would have been any different first time round.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Did okay with Rangers and won the FA Cup with a poor Liverpool team….

Not sure pigs ear is fair, just not an elite or close to being an elite manager…..

Sammi Hyypia could of done well with Rangers, but i'll give you the Liverpool bit, Still a dinosaur

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Exciting times and I hope we all give RDZ some breathing space as he gets to know the club and the players a lot better. It's entirely possible that we could go on a bad run but thankfully we have the insulation of our excellent start.

I know Souness is getting predictable stick, and maybe he is being lazy or deliberately controversial. But I kind of agree with him. This is a bit of a gamble, for all concerned. It might be the best thing that's happened to the club, or it might not work out at all. None of us knows. I think it's going to be a very interesting ride.

But look how 'safe' options such as Mourinho and Benitez have worked out recently :shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
In 2021/22 we went 30 games, and nearly 8 months in the PL front of fans where Albion won once at home. And that was on Boxing Day when the ground was half full. This Sliding Doors idea that if fans had been there during lockdown , he’d have been out , is pretty unlikely given Bloom was loyal, he kept us up and the performances at least were better. But given that Fans also largely stood by him even when put through a 2nd miserable home run post lockdown , a few boos aside , then it’s hard to see why it would have been any different first time round.

I totally accept that Bloom would have supported him, that’s what he does, and as per my post Potter did an excellent job.

Given our league position, first time around, it is not difficult (even to a perennial optimist such as yourself), to see that the two situations are completely different. Despite some good results we were struggling and few games aside, not performing terribly well. Second time we were doing really well away and the performances then were better.

I would argue that given there were boos second time around when we were playing well and further up the table, it is highly likely there would have been more previously, when we weren’t and lower down.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Pre-lock down it was P14 W4 D6 L4 pts 18 ppg 1.29. Given what we'd seen the season before, not too shabby. Performances were nothing like we'd seen with Hyppia though, while results didn't necessarily come, we were often on the front foot and performing well.

Interesting, Tottenham aside, I thought we weren’t that great, culminating in that period just after Christmas when we were shocking at Bournemouth.

That record looks better than I recall TBH.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
But look how 'safe' options such as Mourinho and Benitez have worked out recently :shrug:

Yes, I agree with this.

The thing about proven managers, and proven players, is that often they feel as if they have little left to prove.

Finding the up and coming is the ethos of this club.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
There is a bit of a narrative emerging that we 'stuck' with Potter as if his job was ever on the line. The 14 game winless streak at home was largely irrelevant other than to home supporters because we had one of the strongest records away. His impact was also fairly immediate and I remember the absolute buzz of excitement after taking apart both Watford and Spurs at the start of his first season in charge. There was rarely a time you thought we'd been completely outplayed or didn't turn up, and largely it was down to real profligacy in front of goal - on the pitch you could see we were a very good side all through Potter's reign.

To my mind at least what has happened over the last 6 months isn't a refining of systems, the players just have a bit more belief and confidence in front of goal. RDZ takes over with the players hopefully still high on confidence and belief and really he just has to keep them going. Very few managers get to take over a side in this position so he can hopefully hit the ground running.

The crux of my point was we need to afford De Zerbi the same ups and downs that Potter had in his reign as he learnt and adjusted to the league rather than banging him over the head with Potters record in the last six months which took 2 seasons to refine to the point we have strung it together. My fear is we are going to see some unfair comparisons to De Zerbis early record with the recent peak of Potters excellent work.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The crux of my point was we need to afford De Zerbi the same ups and downs that Potter had in his reign as he learnt and adjusted to the league rather than banging him over the head with Potters record in the last six months which took 2 seasons to refine to the point we have strung it together. My fear is we are going to see some unfair comparisons to De Zerbis early record with the recent peak of Potters excellent work.

I agree with this.

The reality, as I see it, is that there would have been a dip even with Potter still in charge - it's a stretch to think we'd still be in 4th in the short, medium or long term IMO.

Throw in the fact that there will naturally be a period of settling in and finding his feet - making some mistakes along the way (as Potter did) and I don't think it unreasonable to expect and accept that there will be a dip, potentially a significant one. I personally won't see that as a reason to think he's not the right man for the job - that would be properly judged when he's had time (next season onwards unless he's had a MASSIVE STINKER)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

A 50% return is actually 1.5 points per game which is really high given that would equate to a 57 point season. If there are doom merchants setting a minimum target that high - then they really do put the fan in fantasist. Given the difficulty of the fixtures, I'd say a 1 ppg return from our next 6 would see us on 19 points from 12 games (1.58 ppg) would be a huge success for the season so far. Even 4 points I don't think should raise too many complaints given the changes to be honest.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I’m wondering if Tony got wind of this much earlier, was our lack of incoming players (yes a striker) because he knew a new manager would expect some funds available in the next window?

TB was asked about the January window yesterday and said he expected the usual low level of transfer activity.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Absolutely and I'm sure TB will give the De Zerbi lots and lots of time, but he inherited a squad in a lot better condition than GP did, and I dont think he'd survive two bottom five seasons.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely and I'm sure TB will give the De Zerbi lots and lots of time, but he inherited a squad in a lot better condition than GP did, and I dont think he'd survive two bottom five seasons.

One bottom 7 finish would be a massive disappointment and alarm bells would be ringing. De Zerbi will need to have us playing well by January at the latest, he has the players so no excuses imo

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
One bottom 7 finish would be a massive disappointment and alarm bells would be ringing

14th place, is 'bottom 7'.

At half time of the final game of last season (after Graham Potter had had three years to refine everything), we were sat in 13th place.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
One bottom 7 finish would be a massive disappointment and alarm bells would be ringing. De Zerbi will need to have us playing well by January at the latest, he has the players so no excuses imo

I'm sure fans would see it a massive disappointment, not sure TB sees it the same way. It is a reasonable position.

A lot depends on how it happens though, I'd imagine. Play well, with players improving, but just no quite getting the results and end 14th = no problems I imagine. Play poor, players not getting anywhere, have a bit of luck with results and end 14th = probably a bit more worrying and would likely require some kind of upswing the season after.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here