Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Scoring and conceding more would be a good thing and an obvious development from our time under Potter. We draw too many games and under 3 points for a win, this keeps us down the table.

And I couldn't care less about this stuff, but if we were more of a 4-2 to someone every week team than a 1-0 most weeks team, maybe the pundit class would come across less like they are tolerating, and nothing more, our presence in the PL.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
He seems like an intelligent guy and will very likely not change too much early on.
He’ll have certain thoughts about how a possession based team should play and if he’s sensible he’ll implement them gradually.
When a new manager starts a job it’s also about how likely the team is to be open to new tactics and ways of working.
We don’t seem to have any Prima Donnas in the squad and so I expect they’ll all be very open to new concepts to improve themselves and the team.
As a contrast, I thought it was interesting to see Raheem Sterling’s demeanour when he was subbed in Potter’s first game. He’d scored a goal from the LWB position ala Trossard and yet he looked really perplexed at what he’d been asked to do. Maybe not a role he sees as being his England position.

I’ve used the following expression a few times as I heard Potter using it, and that is ‘recency bias’. He used it in relation to his favourite goal of last season and mentioned the Gross goal v Man Utd in our 4-0 win but stated that his thoughts of the goal were affected by recency bias.
Well recency bias of Potter’s tenure revolves around our form in his last 14 matches in charge. It was during this period that we had a fully fit Welbeck and a rising star Caicedo get into the team.
Managers have an impact of course but it’s players on the pitch that matter so long as the general atmosphere in the group is maintained.
There’s nothing I see about Roberto that worries me on that front. He comes over as a huge enthusiast which will go down well with the group. Almost like a Pep in that respect.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He seems like an intelligent guy and will very likely not change too much early on.
He’ll have certain thoughts about how a possession based team should play and if he’s sensible he’ll implement them gradually.
When a new manager starts a job it’s also about how likely the team is to be open to new tactics and ways of working.
We don’t seem to have any Prima Donnas in the squad and so I expect they’ll all be very open to new concepts to improve themselves and the team.
As a contrast, I thought it was interesting to see Raheem Sterling’s demeanour when he was subbed in Potter’s first game. He’d scored a goal from the LWB position ala Trossard and yet he looked really perplexed at what he’d been asked to do. Maybe not a role he sees as being his England position.

I’ve used the following expression a few times as I heard Potter using it, and that is ‘recency bias’. He used it in relation to his favourite goal of last season and mentioned the Gross goal v Man Utd in our 4-0 win but stated that his thoughts of the goal were affected by recency bias.
Well recency bias of Potter’s tenure revolves around our form in his last 14 matches in charge. It was during this period that we had a fully fit Welbeck and a rising star Caicedo get into the team.
Managers have an impact of course but it’s players on the pitch that matter so long as the general atmosphere in the group is maintained.
There’s nothing I see about Roberto that worries me on that front. He comes over as a huge enthusiast which will go down well with the group. Almost like a Pep in that respect.

The group is also used to big tactical changes under Potter anyway, regularly changing from a 3 at the back to a 4, or other changes further up the field, as well the way we move the ball sometimes longer in games than others. As per the criticism the team got for the setup against Fulham, they are used to being asked to play in different ways so that is also in RDZ's favour that they aren't committed to playing one particular way/style as say West Ham are under Moyes.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In comparison to De Zerbi's peak Sassuolo, it seems Brighton under Potter this season were a bunch of long-ball merchants.

View attachment 152017

More than anything it highlights the differences between the leagues, namely the Italian lack of high intensity pressure on the ball holder which means less possession won and less need to play past the non-existent pressure. Something De Zerbi will quickly have to adapt to (which quite a few of his Italian colleagues failed with, but he seems a different breed), but thankfully the tools are in the box as team is drilled for years to apply the pressure you have to do to survive in the PL.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...1841/what-to-expect-from-de-zerbi-at-brighton

Apparently turned down Muff and Roma because he wouldn't have been given the freedom to play his style according to this Italian journalist. Interesting that he's been approached twice which shows that others have had him on their radar, not just us. One of them being being one of the biggest clubs in Europe.

Also a great validation for us that he accepted the offer.

Ends any talk of him being 'desperate' to get a job. He was waiting for the right opportunity to come along.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I have just listened to Souness rambling on about it being a gamble. No shit Sherlock, he's not the sharpest pencil in the box is he?

Total dinosaur who made a total pigs ear of management, which is why his living relies on TV and radio punditry

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
His assistant, Andrea Maldera, has flown under the radar somewhat. A smart cookie by all accounts and a number of Italian commentators have said think his signing is a great move for us. He was working for the Ukraine national side as an analyst. Some more info here: https://www.hudl.com/blog/andrea-maldera-match-analysis-ukraine

There are a couple of Ukrainian players that may do well for us.

1. Mykhaylo Petrovych Mudryk (young winger)
2. Mykola Oleksandrovych Matviyenko (26 yr old left footed CB/LB)

Maybe £40m+ for the pair but I’d love to have some Ukrainians in the playing squad.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Scoring and conceding more would be a good thing and an obvious development from our time under Potter. We draw too many games and under 3 points for a win, this keeps us down the table.

And I couldn't care less about this stuff, but if we were more of a 4-2 to someone every week team than a 1-0 most weeks team, maybe the pundit class would come across less like they are tolerating, and nothing more, our presence in the PL.

A good thing you say ? Well that depends entirely on whether we , were to say , win 4-3 or lose 4-3 .In both instances no doubt it would be an interesting game and we would score more goals but in the table the effect would be totally different . There have always been those who clamour for the ball to go forward and for the team to advance in numbers but these people will probably be the first to complain when we concede due to the back line being exposed and vulnerable .
You rightly point out about too many draws but all i am saying is be careful what you wish for because as great as it would be to turn 1W 4D 1L into 5W 1L just imagine if it turned into 1W 5L !
All we can do is show patience and trust in the club and RDZ to continue the good work that has gone in up to this point .

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
A good thing you say ? Well that depends entirely on whether we , were to say , win 4-3 or lose 4-3 .In both instances no doubt it would be an interesting game and we would score more goals but in the table the effect would be totally different . There have always been those who clamour for the ball to go forward and for the team to advance in numbers but these people will probably be the first to complain when we concede due to the back line being exposed and vulnerable .
You rightly point out about too many draws but all i am saying is be careful what you wish for because as great as it would be to turn 1W 4D 1L into 5W 1L just imagine if it turned into 1W 5L !
All we can do is show patience and trust in the club and RDZ to continue the good work that has gone in up to this point .

Well. Obviously we want to win as many as we can and lose as few as we can, but so does everyone.

In your example, P6 W1, D4, L1 is 7 points. If we can turn that into P6, W3, D0, L3, that would be 9 points.

It's a difference which could be achieved without any particular upturn in performance (obvs if we can improve performance, then great), just by embracing an increased tolerance for conceding in exchange for an increased likelihood of scoring.

The logic continues that in games with 0,1 or 2 goals there is a smaller percentage of scorelines which lead to a win or loss than games with 5, 6, or 7 goals.

More goals per match = less chance of a draw = more points over a season. Plus it's more fun

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Well. Obviously we want to win as many as we can and lose as few as we can, but so does everyone.

In your example, P6 W1, D4, L1 is 7 points. If we can turn that into P6, W3, D0, L3, that would be 9 points.

It's a difference which could be achieved without any particular upturn in performance (obvs if we can improve performance, then great), just by embracing an increased tolerance for conceding in exchange for an increased likelihood of scoring.

The logic continues that in games with 0,1 or 2 goals there is a smaller percentage of scorelines which lead to a win or loss than games with 5, 6, or 7 goals.

More goals per match = less chance of a draw = more points over a season. Plus it's more fun

If your definition of fun is stress, then yes. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing him bring some Italian flair to little old Brighton.

Amazing roller coaster last 2 weeks. Tuchel sacked. Potter rumours. Feeling nervous. Potter goes. Feeling upset. Entire coaching staff goes. Feeling down and bitter. Then great names thrown around. Feeling more hopeful. RDZ appointed. Mojo gets better. Listen to more analysis and presser, mojo back up and feeling excited about the future again.

Another win at Anfield coming up. Can feel it in my bones.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If your definition of fun is stress, then yes. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing him bring some Italian flair to little old Brighton.

Amazing roller coaster last 2 weeks. Tuchel sacked. Potter rumours. Feeling nervous. Potter goes. Feeling upset. Entire coaching staff goes. Feeling down and bitter. Then great names thrown around. Feeling more hopeful. RDZ appointed. Mojo gets better. Listen to more analysis and presser, mojo back up and feeling excited about the future again.

Another win at Anfield coming up. Can feel it in my bones.

If the players are over Potter and embrace De Zerbi you could be right. It will all come down to the players attitude imo

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Exciting times and I hope we all give RDZ some breathing space as he gets to know the club and the players a lot better. It's entirely possible that we could go on a bad run but thankfully we have the insulation of our excellent start.

I know Souness is getting predictable stick, and maybe he is being lazy or deliberately controversial. But I kind of agree with him. This is a bit of a gamble, for all concerned. It might be the best thing that's happened to the club, or it might not work out at all. None of us knows. I think it's going to be a very interesting ride.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
There are a couple of Ukrainian players that may do well for us.

1. Mykhaylo Petrovych Mudryk (young winger)
2. Mykola Oleksandrovych Matviyenko (26 yr old left footed CB/LB)

Maybe £40m+ for the pair but I’d love to have some Ukrainians in the playing squad.

Mudryk alone will be over 30 million. Would be a fantastic signing but not going to happen.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Exciting times and I hope we all give RDZ some breathing space as he gets to know the club and the players a lot better. It's entirely possible that we could go on a bad run but thankfully we have the insulation of our excellent start.

I know Souness is getting predictable stick, and maybe he is being lazy or deliberately controversial. But I kind of agree with him. This is a bit of a gamble, for all concerned. It might be the best thing that's happened to the club, or it might not work out at all. None of us knows. I think it's going to be a very interesting ride.

But aren't all manager appointments a gamble ...... take Sammi Hyyia, that gamble failed. Graham Potter was a gamble ,,,, that one paid off.
We just have to trust TB and the crew,

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If the players are over Potter and embrace De Zerbi you could be right. It will all come down to the players attitude imo
If you listen to the excellent Darren Bent he says when a new manager comes in every team place is up for grabs again, the bench players under one regime may be replacing some regular starters so it generally increases training levels and match day performances for a while which probably people say is the new manager bounce. Lamptey, Mitoma may find themselves starters under a man who likes pace down the flanks who knows.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well that depends on if the non-win streak had happened with fans around. Home support means something, it is no coincidence that the only season in PL history where away team had a better win rate than home teams happened in a season when there was no crowds.

And his first season, when they were there?

I’m not knocking Potter as he was excellent, but our home record wasn’t great, and given what Hyypia experienced, as the pressure cranked up it would have been difficult for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here