Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Roberto De Zerbi

He's clearly desperate for the job. Doesn't mean he'd be bad, but it doesn't feel like our style. If he was first choice we'd have appointed him by now. If he gets it is probably because we can't get our preferred choice (s)

What’s the difference between “wants the job” and “desperate for the job” ? And why are you implying his interest in one of the best coaching jobs in football and the fact that its not wrapped up yet as signs that it’s not going to plan. (I’ve no idea if he’s first choice or not, or even if the candidates under consideration have been ranked like that)

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Top knowledge.

People often forget too that Shakthar haven't played in Donetsk since 2014. They're footballing gypsies like Brighton were at Gillingham cut off from home city and local fan base.

The Ukrainian league is also pretty poor.

Shakthar are similar in many ways to Celtic, one of the 2 big clubs in a mediocre league. They pay ok (as owned by Ukraines richest man, Oligarch Rinat Ahkmetov) and can attract decent prospects and managers as they pay pretty well, will nearly always finish top 2 in domestic league, but not fair that great in Europe against clubs from more elite leagues.
Donetsk just beat Leipzig 4-1 away !!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What’s the difference between “wants the job” and “desperate for the job” ? And why are you implying his interest in one of the best coaching jobs in football and the fact that its not wrapped up yet as signs that it’s not going to plan. (I’ve no idea if he’s first choice or not, or even if the candidates under consideration have been ranked like that)

Q1: It's a pretty clear statement in English. Don't you know the difference between 'wanting' something and being 'desperate' for something?

Q2: I think if he was our first choice it would have happened already. Chelsea sacked Tuchel and got their first choice in two days. Potter left us ten days ago. Its been a week since we were told that Zerbi was watching all of our games. If our succession plan had the words 'de Zerbi' on the top, and he impressed in interview, then this would have been signed and delivered by now.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Q1: It's a pretty clear statement in English. Don't you know the difference between 'wanting' something and being 'desperate' for something?

Q2: I think if he was our first choice it would have happened already. Chelsea sacked Tuchel and got their first choice in two days. Potter left us ten days ago. Its been a week since we were told that Zerbi was watching all of our games. If our succession plan had the words 'de Zerbi' on the top, and he impressed in interview, then this would have been signed and delivered by now.

Chelsea had obviously been planning the Potter raid, hence it didn’t take long.

Bloom will be actively interviewing candidates and combing through candidates all through Europe so it will have taken a fair while, also given we have a fairly large break there is no need to rush into any decisions. I don’t think in this instance we should read anything into how long it’s taking, if it’s today or next week doesn’t really matter as long as the candidate is right.

Bloom has got the majority of his managerial decisions right and I back him here as well, I’m sure De Zerbi probably is desperate for the chance, as are many others.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

I'm pretty sure Potter and Co were tapped up beforehand otherwise it would have taken longer than 48 hrs.

Potter was 2 weeks when he was appointed.

Proper due diligence takes time

We're not desperate and in a rush because of the breaks.

Tony and Co want to get this right and if that takes an extra week to make sure all of the boxes are ticked, then it's an extra week.

It's De Zerbi for me.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'm pretty sure Potter and Co were tapped up beforehand otherwise it would have taken longer than 48 hrs.

Potter was 2 weeks when he was appointed.

Proper due diligence takes time

We're not desperate and in a rush because of the breaks.

Tony and Co want to get this right and if that takes an extra week to make sure all of the boxes are ticked, then it's an extra week.

It's De Zerbi for me.

It took a week to appoint Potter, Hughton was sacked on the 13th May and Potter announced as manager on 20th. He was our preferred (and possibly only) choice and it would have been quicker but Swansea refused our first approach to speak to him, they then tried offering him a new contract to stay rather than sign for us.

Clearly this time it’s taking longer because there is no standout preferred choice, he have lots of managers we like the look of and are interested in and vice versa. Like you say proper due diligence takes time and we’d be stupid to rush the appointment without looking at and interviewing a few candidates.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

I know the difference. It’s just I’m not sure I’ve seen any evidence that he’s “clearly desperate”. Some reported quotes saying he’s aware of the club style, watches our matches, and aspires to work in the PL. But all of that is second hand. It’s pretty thin stuff .

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It took a week to appoint Potter, Hughton was sacked on the 13th May and Potter announced as manager on 20th. He was our preferred (and possibly only) choice and it would have been quicker but Swansea refused our first approach to speak to him, they then tried offering him a new contract to stay rather than sign for us.

Clearly this time it’s taking longer because there is no standout preferred choice, he have lots of managers we like the look of and are interested in and vice versa. Like you say proper due diligence takes time and we’d be stupid to rush the appointment without looking at and interviewing a few candidates.

Again you aren’t comparing equals here, Hughtons exit you have to think was fairly well thought through with a candidate already in mind, much like Chelsea sacking Tuchel, they obviously had Potter in mind prior to the sacking.

Clubs often take a while to appoint a new manager when one is poached, as it’s unplanned, especially given we have a long period without a game.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I suspect Tony had decided to let Hughton complete the season but likely made the decision to sack him long before. That meant we may have had weeks looking at candidates then going for Potter. This time it’s come as a surprise so it maybe it’s taking the same time to work out a preferred candidate, just that this time it’s in the media eye, last time the search was before anyone knew we were needing a new manager. So it could be this time is shorter than Potter, we just don’t know it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Again you aren’t comparing equals here, Hughtons exit you have to think was fairly well thought through with a candidate already in mind, much like Chelsea sacking Tuchel, they obviously had Potter in mind prior to the sacking.

Clubs often take a while to appoint a new manager when one is poached, as it’s unplanned, especially given we have a long period without a game.

Echoing my thoughts above, we were in control of the Hughton situation, could be we sifted through CVs from April onward, and got to Potter after weeks of preparation.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I see the Lens manager replied in English when asked about the Brighton job.

beh forse usa google

My reply in Italian never spoke it in my life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here