[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
What happened to him at shaktar?
Did he just leave when the war broke out or what?
I’d have thought he would’ve stayed manager and carry on again once safe to do so.
After all, they’re back playing now and playing champions league games again

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’d have thought he would’ve stayed manager and carry on again once safe to do so.

He left when the war broke out (only after waiting for all his players & team to have been safely evacuated) but decided not to go back amidst the uncertainty.

The league is operating there but is a mess - without crowds, played at random games so not to be targeted etc. hardly a professional set up at the moment

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Roberto was watching our games and was wanting us to contact him wasn't he according to some press reports(as soon as Potter left). Club says he was only candidate they talked to despite many quality candidates. Just interesting that we've appointed the guy who did some homework and put his name forward rather than us sounding out others to see if they were interested (currently in work managers).

Sounds like a succession plan :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Roberto was watching our games and was wanting us to contact him wasn't he according to some press reports(as soon as Potter left). Club says he was only candidate they talked to despite many quality candidates. Just interesting that we've appointed the guy who did some homework and put his name forward rather than us sounding out others to see if they were interested (currently in work managers).

Apparently Chelsea have already earmarked him as Potter’s replacement, the pre-contract just waiting RdZ’s signature. Hopefully we can get a season out of him at least.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
7? FFS - does that include his wife and mother-in-law that want a bit of an income as well? Potter arrived with three (and left with five - which was too many)..... now, 7....SEVEN!

Perhaps we should just ask him to bring a big enough retinue to fill the empty seats at the Amex that the present arrangements prevent from being filled. :facepalm:

6 of the 7 new coaches are not Happy, 1 is actually Grumpy. But hey-ho, off to work they go.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I read something the other day where De Zerbi was saying his teams have multiple Number 10s. Can't fin d the article now but it was probably shared on here. Anyone know the one I mean?

D

Deleted member 2719

To be fair to Sami, the player recruitment around his time was horrific. Totally abject. The squad needed a decent rebuild but instead, the recruitment team brought in the likes of Holla, Toko, O’Grady, Bent, Best, Colunga, Halford and Gardner. He was never going to get good results with those players.

RDZ has our best squad ever with most of the playing staff, young and eager to learn and improve. I think he’ll hit the ground running. De Zerbi started his Shakhtar career brilliantly with victories over Genk and Monaco in the Champions League qualifiers. I expect him to hold our top-10 position in October despite us having to play most of the Big Six.

I agree, Sami had a very tough gig, it's like going out on a Saturday night in a small town and most of the girls are not your first choice.

You have to crack on to them, you know there will be regret, and most won't suit your style of play.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I read something the other day where De Zerbi was saying his teams have multiple Number 10s. Can't fin d the article now but it was probably shared on here. Anyone know the one I mean?

Two up front, nine 10s across the park supporting them, a centre half covering all the chips over the top and a goalie with back ache to pick the ball out of the net.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Why would he stay? The country is literally at war, he probably has a family, possibly children. Even if he doesn’t, why would his coaching team (and their families) want to stay and risk their lives (literally) when his stock is high enough to leave and go into another job elsewhere.

He left them top and had won the cup the previous season, I don’t think he had anything to prove, let alone worth risking his life over. He’s a professional football manager not a freedom fighter or war correspondent.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Thanks for posting.

I do wonder whether a couple may struggle with the change.

Possibly, but you can also see where quite a few can fit quite nicely. Gross and Macallister are good in tight position and can change the speed of passing. I've not seen enough of Estupinan yet but Veltman will be excellent in that fullback role.

Dunk and Webster both used to remain patient in possession- as are the whole team really, the amount of times we slow it down, keep possession and wait for the right moment to go.

Trossard and March currently do exactly what his wingers have done. High and wide and then cutting in. You could argue Mitoma and perhaps Lamptey could get in on that too.

My biggest gap would be the striker. In Caputo and Berardi he had relatively clinical striking options. Not sure we have it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No, it isn’t. It takes 3 to 4 weeks and is a formality to check you have have a job to go to. Just like it is when UK workers move abroad to work. I’ve done it three times.

It will not even be like when any other foreign worker comes to work in the UK.
They will get work visas through "The International Sportsperson Scheme" The requirements are a job offer from an approved employer, and an endorsement from the relevant Governing Body, in this case, The FA.
To come through the Skilled Worker scheme, he and his coaches would have to sit an English test, as well as have a job offer for a position considered skilled enough, not sure the assistant coaches would qualify.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
If I'd read this (from today's BBC Sport pages) 20 years ago, I'd have looked at the calendar to see if
it was April 1st! Amazing.

"Juventus were looking at appointing Roberto de Zerbi if they sacked Max Allegri, and wanted to hijack Brighton's
move for the Italian manager."

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If I'd read this (from today's BBC Sport pages) 20 years ago, I'd have looked at the calendar to see if
it was April 1st! Amazing.

"Juventus were looking at appointing Roberto de Zerbi if they sacked Max Allegri, and wanted to hijack Brighton's
move for the Italian manager."

Not convinced by that. They’d have made contact with him surely , so doubt the interest is that strong - or for some reason RDZ doesn’t want the job at this time

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Possibly, but you can also see where quite a few can fit quite nicely. Gross and Macallister are good in tight position and can change the speed of passing. I've not seen enough of Estupinan yet but Veltman will be excellent in that fullback role.

Dunk and Webster both used to remain patient in possession- as are the whole team really, the amount of times we slow it down, keep possession and wait for the right moment to go.

Trossard and March currently do exactly what his wingers have done. High and wide and then cutting in. You could argue Mitoma and perhaps Lamptey could get in on that too.

My biggest gap would be the striker. In Caputo and Berardi he had relatively clinical striking options. Not sure we have it.

I wonder if Undav would be more suited to De Zerbi style of play than Welbeck ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports