Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi doesn't like 80 per cent of English referees

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not sure it was a wise comment tbh. Can't see refs giving much in our favour after that! Didn't think the one on Sat got too much wrong, except for missing the handball (which VAR wouldn't have overturned and would probably have won us the match). Also no card for the deliberate foul just outside the area right at the end.
I don’t think the one on Sunday was that poor, however, we don’t get a lot in our favour now……

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I don’t think the one on Sunday was that poor, however, we don’t get a lot in our favour now……
It was poor though.
Every pundit that has commented has said, it was a penalty.

I agree compared to the absolute whoppers we've faced, it wasn't an awful decision.
But that speaks to the level of bad officiating De Zerbi has had to put up with, in little over 1 season.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Not sure it was a wise comment tbh. Can't see refs giving much in our favour after that! Didn't think the one on Sat got too much wrong, except for missing the handball (which VAR wouldn't have overturned and would probably have won us the match). Also no card for the deliberate foul just outside the area right at the end.

Sure, we might not get the occasional corner which should have been a goal kick anymore..
But we never score from corners anyway.

Still waiting to be on the right end of a controversial VAR decision...
4 and a quarter seasons in.

"They even themselves out" apparently.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
RDZ Says it as it is, trouble is reports now suggesting FA are looking into the RDZ comments possible ban or fine incoming....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It was poor though.
Every pundit that has commented has said, it was a penalty.

I agree compared to the absolute whoppers we've faced, it wasn't an awful decision.
But that speaks to the level of bad officiating De Zerbi has had to put up with, in little over 1 season.
Yes (was referring to the ref).

Not debating the penalty, but surely that’s what VAR is for?
A clear and obvious error?

Other than that, sending off was correct.

As I said earlier in the thread I agree with RdZ….

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Right or wrong , own opinions or not , hair lines cracks appearing ? One thing for sure don’t think it helps us on the pitch
I think the players will run through walls for De Zerbi.
And I expect the "It's us against the Premier league and the refs" will spur the team on.

He is a very plain speaking man.
He doesn't rant at interviewers about injustices like Arteta, Klopp and others.
He doesn't challenge interviewers to call out his player as cheats, like Hodgson does.
He just says true things, normally followed by, "but that's football"

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Watching World Cups, Euros etc shows how much better other referees are, and excluding the AEK game at the Amex where VAR overruled the Ukrainian ref twice, better in our games too.
Dare I say it also shows how much better VAR can be used. Last year at the World Cup it was quick, efficient and I don’t recall a single major controversy from it. Compare this to the Premier League where it isn’t any of those things. And that’s not just a VAR problem, it’s the Premier League’s application of VAR which is to blame.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The audio from Arteta's "embarrassing" decision is going to be released in the next episode of Match Officials: Mic'd Up which is on tonight.

It will be interesting to see if we have any incidents covered.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The audio from Arteta's "embarrassing" decision is going to be released in the next episode of Match Officials: Mic'd Up which is on tonight.

It will be interesting to see if we have any incidents covered.

Did they say it wasn't a foul by Joelinton?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Still waiting to be on the right end of a controversial VAR decision...
4 and a quarter seasons in.

"They even themselves out" apparently.
I think if we looked at things through the eyes of our opponents' fans, then we might see things differently. A few recent examples:

- when the ball hit Mioma's hand in the penalty area v Ajax - given the very low threshold for such decisions in UEFA competitions, I was quite surprised it wasn't given (nb: I was at the match and saw it in real time - haven't seen a slow-mo)

- The tackle on Lamptey that got us the pen at Marseille - VERY soft

- That foul by JPvH on Calvert-Lewin at Everton

There are others - but these came to mind immediately.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think if we looked at things through the eyes of our opponents' fans, then we might see things differently. A few recent examples:

- when the ball hit Mioma's hand in the penalty area v Ajax - given the very low threshold for such decisions in UEFA competitions, I was quite surprised it wasn't given (nb: I was at the match and saw it in real time - haven't seen a slow-mo)

Well, at least some posters can see beyond BHA. I too was really surprised about the Mitoma one. Not convinced about the other two myself.
Overall, we haven't done that well this season with decisions I'd say. I'm not going to give refs/VAR too much of a hard time about it though.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

No. None of those were controversial.
All fall in the form of "seen them given" at worst.

We haven't had one, where the pundits and/or PGMOL have agreed it was a mistake.
There haven't been any apologies to one of our opponents.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
He's had several yellow and red cards from incompetent, arrogant, over officious referees. Imo He's been very restrained in his comments. 80% also seems a reasonable assessment of PGMOL refereeing standards.
So RDZ does think the Brit refs are arrogant?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
why is he warned? I amazed it was only 80%. If the referees stop making *uck ups, he wouldn’t have a problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here