Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi doesn't like 80 per cent of English referees

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Embarrassing comment to deflect from his own weaknesses and an under performing team - 3 wins at home in the PL and an inability to keep a clean sheet / see out games. Focus on what we can control please.

I’d perhaps have a bit more understanding if the ref or VAR had a shocker. But they didn’t did they ?
Ithought the ref and at least one lino had shockers , no penalty for a deliberate handball , no foul given when Pedro was manhandled to the ground , to name two glaring errors

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whether he's right or wrong, that's his opinion – and he should be allowed to express it. And he's justified it, too, which is all good with me.

I saw someone on Twitter call his comments 'unhinged' last night. Disagree with that, but it's understandable that people from all sides will wade in and make a mountain out of a molehill.

The refs thing is weird – on one hand I feel sorry for them because they simply cannot control the game and/or the players sometimes. In recent games, I've seen more than 10 players surrounding them after a 'contentious' decision, which is just plain wrong. However, there were rules brought in at the beginning of the season to prevent that, which have seemingly been consigned to history.

Ultimately they are weak/powerless, but a lot of it is their own doing. VAR hasn't helped because I'm sure they are leaving the decisions to someone in Stockley Park to decide. What's the solution? Fack knows.
Yep.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He needs to get his head down a bit. No need to go public with this kind of stuff. Let your performances do the talking.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Jim Shite sets the scene, explaining to Simon Jordan (and whoever else is on with him) what RDZ. Opens it up with "Simon? Does De Zerbi not have a point, Simon?"

There then follows a word salad from Jordan who says that he's entitled to his opinion, but he should keep his mouth shut. Adding that it is masking a bad period for the club on the pitch and asking why RDZ should be special when "every single team, up and down the country, every single weekend" has decisions that go against them.

Shite then counters it with some examples (as posted on here) where the refs got it wrong and how they've apologised to RDZ/the club for facking it up so many times.

Jordan then doubles down on his argument that every team gets decisions given against them, RDZ is making himself look foolish, undermining "referees in this country and he should learn to keep his trap shut. He's already been sent to the stands multiple times – and he's just not learning from his mistakes.

Enter the third party (is it Martin O'Neill on a Monday?) who will side with either Shite or Jordan (that one is on the toss of a coin by the Talkshite bosses) and the three of them get into a heated debate – all talking at the same time – about referees in this country, the trouble with VAR, blah, blah, blah.
Actually wrong…..they opened with O’Neil…White and Jordan didn’t really have much to say (not disagreeing with O’Neil either)….it was quite a muted discussion

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Not sure it was a wise comment tbh. Can't see refs giving much in our favour after that! Didn't think the one on Sat got too much wrong, except for missing the handball (which VAR wouldn't have overturned and would probably have won us the match). Also no card for the deliberate foul just outside the area right at the end.
Some people will do anything to be liked, maybe a positive?!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree with him….

Albeit, yesterday’s ref wasn’t necessarily one of them.

The VAR is so poorly applied and it just isn’t helping at all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Did anyone notice that the two coaches of Sheffield Utd were virtually in the coaching area all the game and nothing was said by the fourth official, When RDZ stepped over the white line of the coaching area the fourth official was on his back all the time and I am only talking about a few inches. No wonder RDZ is angry at 80% of them I would have thought he tempered it to avoid punishment by saying 100% which is what I think!

They kept sprinting way outside their marked area, on repeat.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The ref we had at Ajax showed how a good ref operates. He didn't rely on VAR to correct him he got everything right on the pitch.

Pre and post VAR, I’ve always been impressed by refs in UEFA club competition games. One remarkable thing is them not being homers, swayed by 50k screaming fans and an overtly aggressive manager. I specifically recall recent Atletico Madrid home CL ties where from the off Simeone’s got his players lying, crowding the ref, trying to get opponents wrongly carded. The refs have none of it.

Sorry if offends, but imho from the Kevin Friend & Martin Atkinson era onwards, most of our officials are error strewn, weak, do not deal with orchestrated cheating, do not apply the rules.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I feel for De Zerbi. If he tells the truth, he is in trouble and gets a ban. If he says nothing "he's weak" and nobody wants to call the referees to account. Overall this season the referees have a very low threshold for "adequate". If you have the AUDACITY to disagree with them , you're in big trouble.

I can think of similar situations with forums where the same basic principals apply.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Jim Shite sets the scene, explaining to Simon Jordan (and whoever else is on with him) what RDZ. Opens it up with "Simon? Does De Zerbi not have a point, Simon?"

There then follows a word salad from Jordan who says that he's entitled to his opinion, but he should keep his mouth shut. Adding that it is masking a bad period for the club on the pitch and asking why RDZ should be special when "every single team, up and down the country, every single weekend" has decisions that go against them.

Shite then counters it with some examples (as posted on here) where the refs got it wrong and how they've apologised to RDZ/the club for facking it up so many times.

Jordan then doubles down on his argument that every team gets decisions given against them, RDZ is making himself look foolish, undermining "referees in this country and he should learn to keep his trap shut. He's already been sent to the stands multiple times – and he's just not learning from his mistakes.

Enter the third party (is it Martin O'Neill on a Monday?) who will side with either Shite or Jordan (that one is on the toss of a coin by the Talkshite bosses) and the three of them get into a heated debate – all talking at the same time – about referees in this country, the trouble with VAR, blah, blah, blah.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Managers will not be taken seriously until they give an honest view on all decisions in a game not just those that have gone against them

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Unwise from RDZ I think.

I do think he was really going for their general manner and overall control of games though. They are a pompous/weak bunch (Mike Dean the very essence of this). It doesn't help with the complete lack of respect shown to them by players, managers and fans though.

Reactions: cjd

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Embarrassing comment to deflect from his own weaknesses and an under performing team - 3 wins at home in the PL and an inability to keep a clean sheet / see out games. Focus on what we can control please.

I’d perhaps have a bit more understanding if the ref or VAR had a shocker. But they didn’t did they ?
They missed a stonewall penalty for handball, so not a shocker by their usual standards.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Actually wrong…..they opened with O’Neil…White and Jordan didn’t really have much to say (not disagreeing with O’Neil either)….it was quite a muted discussion

White spent half the morning zzzzzzzz discussing the cabinet reshuffle, slyly to promote their sister channel Times Radio. In all the years I’ve never heard TS talk politics. It’s meant to be an escape from the news! True to form White fired the sh1t-stirring bullets to paragon of virtue Jordan, who slagged off Tory politicians. He’s got an extensive list of politicised folk he can’t stand …. last week woke Gary Lineker and that prat James O’Brien :lolol:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
White spent half the morning zzzzzzzz discussing the cabinet reshuffle, slyly to promote their sister channel Times Radio. In all the years I’ve never heard TS talk politics. It’s meant to be an escape from the news! True to form White fired the sh1t-stirring bullets to paragon of virtue Jordan, who slagged off Tory politicians. He’s got an extensive list of politicised folk he can’t stand …. last week woke Gary Lineker and that prat James O’Brien :lolol:
White mentioned that listeners were telling them to get back to the sport but made some feeble excuse to justify carrying on with the bllx

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Pre and post VAR, I’ve always been impressed by refs in UEFA club competition games. One remarkable thing is them not being homers, swayed by 50k screaming fans and an overtly aggressive manager. I specifically recall recent Atletico Madrid home CL ties where from the off Simeone’s got his players lying, crowding the ref, trying to get opponents wrongly carded. The refs have none of it.

Sorry if offends, but imho from the Kevin Friend & Martin Atkinson era onwards, most of our officials are error strewn, weak, do not deal with orchestrated cheating, do not apply the rules.

................and generally smell offensively..................................when the match is final

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here