[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Aside from that Palace one last season, has there been that many clangers?? For every clanger there was probably 50 high balls he claimed, just that when a mistake is made claiming a high ball it invariably leads to a clear chance for the opposition.

Maybe my memory is bad but I don’t remember that many :shrug: or are people just saying that because he’s left? Steele also made a few clangers last season, I think people forget all goalkeepers make mistakes.

Good move for all parties.
Most of us seem adroit at after timing. I'm sure I do it (although of course I have no awareness, and in fact I deny it completely.). I suppose we'd be rather hesitant about decision making or venturing any sort of opinion about anything if we looked back at all our previous judgements and thought "why am I wrong at least half the time?". I'm not sure how useful it is to go on a football forum and say "see, I was right!" though. You, of course you were, dear :cheery:

:thumbsup:

Bob served us well and now he's gone. Fact.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Sorry - the person that posted the quote deleted it, as they'd misheard. Possibly not a dig in the end.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We all know what happens if you have 2 or 3 bad games in a row

el punal

I think RDZ demands above all else that players buy in to his coaching and tactics. Seems fairly obvious big Bob didn’t do that, as RDZ grew increasingly frustrated at elements of his distribution. Doesn’t mean he won’t do well somewhere else but fully Team RDZ on this
Definitely my way or the highway strategy. Look how quickly we shipped out Trossard when he started flouncing off. On the other side of the coin there is 100% commitment and loyalty from the rest of the team, and boy, does it show in all the various interviews, video clips and general media reaction.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Sure but ‘he decides everything’, as a professional my expectation is you work hard and strive to regain your place.

Sorry but I disagree on this and the onus is on the player to ensure he is ready to play not on the manager to select him.
I am not trying to suggest that Sanchez has behaved like a perfect professional, but it is understandable that he didn't feel able to be all smiles and support in the dressing room.
I don't remember Nicky Forster getting as much spite and vitriol aimed at him for being difficult with Poyet.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Completes the team now

Gk-Sanchez 25m
Lb-Cucurella 58m
Cb-clarke 1m
Cb-Burn 14m
Rb - white 50m
Rm - Ali j 1m
Cm - bissouma 30m
Cm- macillister 35m
Lm- trossard 25m
St - connolly 1m
St - maupay 10m

Full potter team gone £250m
That’s a really good post.

Potter was absolutely instrumental in making a lot of those players top 10 EPL class. Players like Burn, Bissouma, Trossard and Cucurella saw their careers turbo charged because of him. Clarke was an exception here but I believe Potter and his recruitment guy leaned very heavily on the club to buy him having scouted him at Swansea. I don’t imagine he was on Tony’s secret database.

Absolutely fascinating that we’ve binned them all off now!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think RDZ demands above all else that players buy in to his coaching and tactics. Seems fairly obvious big Bob didn’t do that, as RDZ grew increasingly frustrated at elements of his distribution. Doesn’t mean he won’t do well somewhere else but fully Team RDZ on this
Team RDZ here too, doesn't mean I think Sanchez is a **** though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I am not trying to suggest that Sanchez has behaved like a perfect professional, but it is understandable that he didn't feel able to be all smiles and support in the dressing room.
I don't remember Nicky Forster getting as much spite and vitriol aimed at him for being difficult with Poyet.
Don’t think he chose not to be available to play though?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That’s a really good post.

Potter was absolutely instrumental in making a lot of those players top 10 EPL class. Players like Burn, Bissouma, Trossard and Cucurella saw their careers turbo charged because of him. Clarke was an exception here but I believe Potter and his recruitment guy leaned very heavily on the club to buy him having scouted him at Swansea. I don’t imagine he was on Tony’s secret database.

Absolutely fascinating that we’ve binned them all off now!
Binning them off? Bit harsh, isn't it? - all played a part in one of the best ever Brighton teams up to that point, although Ali J was an expensive flop. Not sure you're right about Clarke though - if Potter had pressured the recruitment team (doubtful, IMHO) to get him, then surely he would have used him. Instead, he always seemed to be one of the first to be loaned out, even before the pre-season friendlies so didn't get to feature much, if at all, in those.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
De Zerbi said “With Robert, we spoke before the Arsenal game and we decided together the best solution was to stay home”

He then went on to say “He decides everything. Robert decides and at the moment it’s like this. He wanted it this way, not me, not the club.”
I don't know, and nor does anyone else on here, what words were exchanged between them, or whether this was poor man management by De Zerbi, or bad attitude from Sanchez, but we love De Zerbi so Sanchez must be a ****.

He wanted it this way – Roberto De Zerbi explains Robert Sanchez absence​

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...gue-mahmoud-dahoud-amex-stadium-b2340673.html

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
For such a big fella he never bossed his goal area , nor did he exude or inspire any confidence imo.
He gave me confidence, I thought he was great for us. I wouldn't have swapped Steele in for him, that decision filled me with dread. I thought Steele was utterly hopeless.

Just as well I'm not a manager I guess. I also disagreed with signing Duffy, selling knockhaert, and forcing Murray out. 1 out of four isn't bad I guess?

Anyway, he was an utter twat to refuse to be part of a team and for that I'm thankful that he's gone, and £25m is a great deal for a a non team player. Good riddance to him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports