[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The Caicedo and Dunk examples illustrate the hypocrisy of fans over these issues. Perspective is set entirely because of the outcome rather than the behaviour. If Caicedo stays all will be forgiven and forgotten (just like with Dunk). If he leaves he will be despised for the statement he put out in January. We’ve already seen it on the Caicedo thread at the times when it has looked like the deal is close. Sanchez has gone so it’s open season to put the boot in.
To deservedly put the boot in. Glad he's gone. Utter tosser for sulking off at one of the most crucial moments in the albion history. 6 games. And he couldn't even give them.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Dunk refused to play at Southend when Fulham were after him and was fined 2 weeks wages as a result.

This is incorrect, as @Crispy Ambulance has pointed out.

Dunk was fined 2 weeks wages for refusing to play, when Fulham were after him.

Edit: I see another poster has already stated this.

I stand corrected on Dunk, but he obviously took his punishment, sorted things with the manager and it was all water under the bridge very quickly as he only refused to play that one game and was back in the squad for the next match.

Sanchez was always told the managers door was open but there doesn't appear to have been any effort to sort anything out. That could have been on both sides granted, but I still maintain Sanchez has acted a bigger twat and let his team mates, the club and fans down way more than Dunk or Caicedo have done with any of their antics, both of them quickly got over any upset they may have felt and their performances on the pitch more than make amends for their transgressions.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
He was a good keeper who didn't want to sit on the bench and felt he was better than Steele, particularly after the Everton game.

RDZ clearly felt that he wasn't right for his team.

There were a few too many mistakes for me, but what do i know?

Looks like BV is what RDZ wants and for a net profit of potentially around 10 million quid, it's good business from the club.

None of us really know what happened on a personal level. It is a short career and for someone who was on the verge of being Spain no 1 not long ago, I guess you need to be forthright.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
So - are these strangely long-term contracts Chelsea are sprinkling around something to do with FFP or a tax fiddle or something?
FFP is changing to only allow 5 years. I thought it was from this summer but it may take affect later.

7 years can also be used as a bargaining tool to pay less per year/week but same overall total with a mechanism that player will receive all of it regardless (unless they chose to leave voluntarily)

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
For such a big fella he never bossed his goal area , nor did he exude or inspire any confidence imo.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He was a good keeper who didn't want to sit on the bench and felt he was better than Steele, particularly after the Everton game.

Looks like BV is what RDZ wants and for a net profit of potentially around 10 million quid, it's good business from the club.

None of us really know what happened on a personal level. It is a short career and for someone who was on the verge of being Spain no 1 not long ago, I guess you need to be forthright.
You can be, but the right attitude is to knuckle down, work on your weaknesses and work hard in training, await your opportunity.

You don’t refuse to be involved or not train.

I think if the above had been incorrect Sanchez or his agent would have issued a denial, as potentially it could put off suitor’s

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

He could have fulfilled his contractual obligations to the club he's been at for 10 years for a few more weeks, got his move regardless and left on good terms:shrug:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
would we not want Caicedo on a 7 year contract if we could ?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This could be another fun season, the fans will be on his case from the get go 😁

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All regulation saves I'd expect my mum to make.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Technical director David Weir added, “This is a good move for all parties. It also gives Rob the opportunity to play and a long-term stability.

“For the club it’s an area in which we have fantastic competition, and this is another significant transfer fee for our academy. It’s credit to all those at the club who have overseen Rob’s progression.

“We would like to thank Rob for his time here and wish him all the very best for the future.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Was he ever really close to being Spain's number 1? He never looked like ousting Unai Simon. It does seem rather baffling considering his club form here was excellent when he was first called up that he never got any time on the pitch.

He's only played for them twice despite being a regular in the squad for a couple of seasons. That was one WC qualifier where he came on for Simon with 16 mins to play against Georgia and he started a friendly against Jordan but was subbed at half time for David Raya.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
These long contracts are simply another way to jump through the FFP loopholes left for the mega rich clubs to exploit,I suppose they're good for the individual player knowing even if they are left in a broom cupboard somewhere and forgotten about they will still get their big fat pay cheque.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports