[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes, and how about you get a dictionary and look up the difference betwen 'asked' and 'refused'. Everybody is in full agreement that he 'asked' - and obviously de Zerbi agreed to hs request, because he didn't name him on the squad. Fact.
The 'refusal', along with the vitriol, is clearly in some people's heads. All in all, a sad end to Sanchez' time at Brighton, whchevef 'side' you're on* - the only good thing is a decent fee.

* There are not actually two 'sides' here - just some people who think that the spite, vitriol and rhetoric from some on this thread is OTT. Worthy of Chelsea, really. I prefer Brighton to be less entitled.
Semantics. A footballer telling his manager he doesn't want to sit on the bench is effectively the same thing. He knows that RDZ, or any manager for that matter,, isn't going to put a player on the bench if he's said he doesn't want it as he is clearly not committed to the team.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Yes, and how about you get a dictionary and look up the difference betwen 'asked' and 'refused'. Everybody is in full agreement that he 'asked' - and obviously de Zerbi agreed to hs request, because he didn't name him on the squad. Fact.
The 'refusal', along with the vitriol, is clearly in some people's heads. All in all, a sad end to Sanchez' time at Brighton, whchevef 'side' you're on* - the only good thing is a decent fee.

* There are not actually two 'sides' here - just some people who think that the spite, vitriol and rhetoric from some on this thread is OTT. Worthy of Chelsea, really. I prefer Brighton to be less entitled.
Whilst i agree that some of the posts on this thread have been OTT and i am not in the lynch mob i do wonder what Robert thought would happen when he made that request. Surely he must have known that it would have had to have been agreed with otherwise we would have risked the scenario of having to bring a player on as a sub not really knowing where his head was at and whether he would give of his best or in the worst case deliberately make an error!
So personally i felt let down by his actual request and the appearance that it carried of not pulling in the same direction as the team at a vital part of the season. I say this having seen him play for the u21 team a few times in his early days and proudly watching his rise to the first team.
I have to also say that the reported sightings of him out on the town at the very time when the team were playing did little to mitigate my feelings on the issue.
Sad as i am that it ended this way i cannot but think that a good proportion of that end was self inflicted.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Semantics. A footballer telling his manager he doesn't want to sit on the bench is effectively the same thing. He knows that RDZ, or any manager for that matter,, isn't going to put a player on the bench if he's said he doesn't want it as he is clearly not committed to the team.
Semantics? Bollocks.

OTT bile, spite and vitriol? - sadly some of my fellow Albion fans seem to be determined to do entitled on a level with Chelsea.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I respectfully disagree, when Sanchez burst onto the scene for us he performed exceptionally well but his consistency took a noticable dip. He's still relatively young for a keeper, but his seemingly relaxed attitude would not have propeled him to being one of the best in the world. Most of this happened pre RDZ, and throwing a paddy just because you're not starting anymore

Out of interest, are you a season ticket holder?
No he isn't.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I can completely get what you are saying, but currently Undav is on an upward curve if you take his form from end of last season, he should be first name on sheet (for up top) and given first chance. In my opinion.
Better than Welbeck, Ferguson and record signing Joao Pedro? He’s really improved! Had a great end to the season but don’t see how Undav would be better than 3rd or 4th in line to start at best. Which, given his age, is probably why he wanted to have a crack at making it big in Germany.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Fact is Sanchez made all of us as fans nervous when selected. Good luck to the lad now he’s gone. And I’m no longer nervous. Win Win.
Indeed, good luck to him. But hope he find a better club in the future than Chelsea

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I just cannot relate to anything you are saying over this, its frankly bizarre. You are advocating a player being dropped from the team having the right to withdraw his labour and go on strike.

I think we're done here.
Understanding someone behaving badly is not the same as advocating someone behaving badly, I am starting to think I have a different understanding of English to some of you guys.

When was the last time we called upon the keeper on the bench to step in anyway?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Understanding someone behaving badly is not the same as advocating someone behaving badly, I am starting to think I have a different understanding of English to some of you guys.

When was the last time we called upon the keeper on the bench to step in anyway?
You know - you're right. Whats the POINT of having a goalkeeper on the bench ?

Next time our keeper gets a red, or goes off with a hammy, lets just stick Mitoma in goal.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You know - you're right. Whats the POINT of having a goalkeeper on the bench ?

Next time our keeper gets a red, or goes off with a hammy, lets just stick Mitoma in goal.
There was no immediate problem with having McGill on the bench rather than Sanchez, as 99 times out of 100, at least, the keeper on the bench, stays on the bench, and McGill was probably in a better place mentally to step in if he was needed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There was no immediate problem with having McGill on the bench rather than Sanchez, as 99 times out of 100, at least, the keeper on the bench, stays on the bench, and McGill was probably in a better place mentally to step in if he was needed.
McGill enabled the free pass for Sanchez to go out for his haircuts and tapas in town, whilst at that very moment, a few miles away, his team mates were battling to beat Man Utd at the Amex.

Seems legit. Made for some nice Instagram selfies didn't it, I suppose.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You seem to be saying "what's the worst that could happen...?".

Often when people think that, the worst does happen, sometimes with interest.

We were lucky that we didn't need to look beyond Steele whilst Sanchez was lobbing cuddly toys from his pram, but if the worst did happen, then we might not be looking forward to a European Tour right now.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
McGill enabled the free pass for Sanchez to go out for his haircuts and tapas in town, whilst at that very moment, a few miles away, his team mates were battling to beat Man Utd then.

Seems legit. Made for some nice Instagrams didn't it, I suppose.
Wouldn't know, I watch footballers play football, I don't follow them on social media, give a shit where they get a hair cut, eat their lunch or anything else they do when not playing football.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
What if you were an apprentice at the firm, worked your way up to be the best Bricklayer on the firm, and then a new manager says, apart from laying those bricks, we need you to knock up the muck and bump out the bricks too?
Sanchez has been her 10 years and developed into a great shot stopper, but now he is being asked to be much more of an outfield player, and I believe that has affected his goalkeeping negatively.
If I were him I would be a bit pissed off at being dropped, for a guy that is not as good at keeping the ball out of the net, and if I was going to be a miserable git and sad sack, I think it would be wise to not have me in the dressing room bringing the mood down. I can't be mad at him for wanting away, what De Zerbi wants is not normal for a keeper, and with Euro's coming, Sanchez will be hoping to show his best somewhere and be in the Spain squad, he just isn't suited to De Zerbi, it doesn't make him a ****.
He showed no fight. Most players that get dropped will fight hell for leather to get back in the team. His oversized ego wouldn’t allow that. He let himself AND his mates down by refusing to sit on the bench. What if Steele had got injured in a match during our run in? ???

He acted like a prick. I’ll be glad to see the back of him.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
NSC at it's finest. This has turned into the most epic binfest.
Roll on the new season.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You seem to be saying "what's the worst that could happen...?".

Often when people think that, the worst does happen, sometimes with interest.

We were lucky that we didn't need to look beyond Steele whilst Sanchez was lobbing cuddly toys from his pram, but if the worst did happen, then we might not be looking forward to a European Tour right now.
I am saying that asking to not be in the squad if he wasn't going to be playing, was unlikely to be a problem, was not immediately dropping us in the shit, and if his head wasn't right, might well have been better to have McGill anyway.
Caicedo was out of order with begging to be sold to Arsenal, missed games because of it and screwed a few extra quid out of the club, could have cost us Europe, but he is staying, for now, and we need him, so we forget about it. Dunk refused to play a few years back when Fulham were after him, but all is forgiven.
Sanchez wasn't refusing to play, he was asking not to have to sit on the bench if he was not wanted to play, and he is an unforgiveable ****?
Maybe I need to see his instagram snaps from a barber shop to get wound up about him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports