[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Gutted if this is true, we only lose out of this. The best keeper we have ever had, a pittance of a fee. Left with an aging Steele and an unproven Bart. RDZ getting rid of all our best players. I’m starting to think the problem lies with our angry Italian, seems he’s falling out with and getting shot of all our best players. Once he has gone I fear we will look on it with regret.
:fishing:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
But you need to back your manager. There’s no point keeping hold of an unhappy player earning a wedge of money and sulking around training with the kids. Wages better invested elsewhere
Sanchez contract with us was longer than RDZ is likely to stay which is why I thought a loan out would be the best option for us and then recall him when RDZ goes to his 'its a dream of mine to coach them' side.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You are splitting hairs. When I was working, the boss would allocate the tasks for the day, so if I’d said, don’t include me today, what do you think my boss would’ve said?
I dunno, is your Boss Easy10? If so, you would be f***ed.
As far as we know, Sanchez wanted to be included in the days tasks, he didn't want to be made to sit and watch someone else doing his job though, he asked to not have to, and his request was granted.
Things seem to have deteriorated from there, but I don't know if that is De Zerbi just not having the patience, or language to get through to Sanchez, Sanchez being a stroppy git, or it just being clear he has not got the desire to play like an outfield player.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Gutted if this is true, we only lose out of this. The best keeper we have ever had, a pittance of a fee. Left with an aging Steele and an unproven Bart. RDZ getting rid of all our best players. I’m starting to think the problem lies with our angry Italian, seems he’s falling out with and getting shot of all our best players. Once he has gone I fear we will look on it with regret.
At £25m they are paying for the best version of Sanchez from a year or so ago, peak hype Sanchez.

What they are getting is a keeper whose limitations have been exposed and who couldn’t quite stop the flow of clangers. That version is worth about £7-£10m.

He may well get back to his best but as it stands the financial gamble is on Chelsea.

As for your thoughts on our angry Italian - I’ll reflect on that on the lengthy flights to Lisbon, Valencia or wherever.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As far as we know, Sanchez wanted to be included in the days tasks, he didn't want to be made to sit and watch someone else doing his job though, he asked to not have to, and his request was granted.
Things seem to have deteriorated from there, but I don't know if that is De Zerbi just not having the patience, or language to get through to Sanchez, Sanchez being a stroppy git, or it just being clear he has not got the desire to play like an outfield player.
Most PL teams have three keepers. It is part of their job to watch someone else do their job in cup matches, league matches etc
It is also up to the player to fight for their place.
He let his teammates down by not supporting them when they were playing.

The one person who I am most disappointed in, is Ben Roberts. I loved him when he played for us, was thrilled when he came here as GK coach, and fooled myself that he loved Brighton.
Ok, he ran after the money, with GP, and is still there, but he has also whispered in Sanchez's ear.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Now I'm genuinely confused and am starting to think that these are not all spoof posts.

Or is it Bob? But surely only one can be Bob? Bit naughty if there are multiple accounts at play - just the sort of thing big Bob would do, the bastard!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
And "asked not to be included" has become refused to sit on the bench, downed tools, etc. I think many are judging him harshly without enough real information to form such a strong opinion.

So it was made clear to Sanchez he wasn’t going to start and only be on the bench, he then asks not to be included. That is a refusal to sit on the bench, there is no other way to paint it. No one is judging him harshly, he let the club down at the most important time of our season.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
From the Chelsea forum, nice little summary;

“Sounds like we went to the dealership to buy a Rolls Royce and got sold an old fiat van with an over priced extended warranty. Even though we’d previously been to this dealership and paid over the odds for what we thought was a nice little Jeep Defender. Which turned out to have a bad timing belt, no reverse gear, and a head full of rust.”

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
One of the first videos I saw when RDZ arrived was him berating those sat on the bench for not paying attention. He wanted everyone to watch everything that was going on to either learn from what they saw or think about how they would have handled that situation differently. Sanchez clearly didn't want to do that so I am not surprised RDZ wanted rid of him.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Where have you seen anything from a reputable source that he refused to sit on the bench?
From Andy Naylor, Athletic :

Sanchez shot himself in the foot with a fatal error of judgment following a shock 5-1 home defeat by struggling Everton at the beginning of May.

He asked not to be on the bench as cover for Steele for what proved to be a restorative 3-0 win away Arsenal, followed by a 4-1 defeat against Newcastle United.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So it was made clear to Sanchez he wasn’t going to start and only be on the bench, he then asks not to be included. That is a refusal to sit on the bench, there is no other way to paint it. No one is judging him harshly, he let the club down at the most important time of our season.
So if he asked for a cup of tea it would have been a demand? Asking is not the same as refusing, and we are guessing as to how he was feeling and why he asked. It also isn't downing tools.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
One of the first videos I saw when RDZ arrived was him berating those sat on the bench for not paying attention. He wanted everyone to watch everything that was going on to either learn from what they saw or think about how they would have handled that situation differently. Sanchez clearly didn't want to do that so I am not surprised RDZ wanted rid of him.
I am not surprised he doesn't want him either, and I am not surprised Sanchez doesn't want to be where he is being asked to do something he isn't comfortable doing. I just don't see the need to berate either one of them for not seeing eye to eye.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I suppose if you count Naylor's reporting and De Zerbi's quotes as "social media" then this is fair.
I don’t think either of those sources were vitriolic towards the player like some posts on here though. Perhaps the manager won’t be quite so honest next time ? Fans need to be able to handle straight talking in the spirit intended, and remember I was responding initially to someone who couldn’t understand why everybody didn’t think Sanchez is a prick.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
He wasn't on the bench and it was his choice.

Whether he refused, demanded, asked nicely, asked very,very nicely or asked aggressively it doesn't matter. The result was he wasn't on the bench. He let the whole club down. Put himself above everything when we were on the brink of history. For a measly 6 games.

Glad he's gone.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
NSC is very black or white on this isn’t it?

I’ll just say I’m pleased he’s going, he can only be poison in the ears of other players now. I don’t actually care how good he was or will become. So no grey from me either.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
From Andy Naylor, Athletic :

Sanchez shot himself in the foot with a fatal error of judgment following a shock 5-1 home defeat by struggling Everton at the beginning of May.

He asked not to be on the bench as cover for Steele for what proved to be a restorative 3-0 win away Arsenal, followed by a 4-1 defeat against Newcastle United.
Again I see the word asked, not refused, and it is an opinion of Naylor that he shot himself in the foot, he doesn't know if there was a realistic way back for Sanchez or not, and I don't mean that De Zerbi might not have had him back, I mean that Sanchez may have realised he just wasn't suited to Dr Zerbi, and was never going to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports