Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Where have you seen anything from a reputable source that he refused to sit on the bench?
Andy Naylor wrote an article saying Sanchez had asked to be left out of the squad for the Newcastle game. This is after RDZ said “Robert wanted it this way, it was his choice, not mine or the clubs” when Sanchez missed the Arsenal game.

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
Very good business by our very well run club. I wish Big Bob all the best, but not against us. He did not do himself many favours though, so perhaps not the « the best », but no ill will.

Will still boo him though, against us, have to honor tradition.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I don't think anyone is disputing that he's a good keeper - its his stinking attitude that was the issue.
Put yourself in his shoes, been with the club since he was 15, finally gets the gig, does a bloody good job and then gets dumped for keeper that by some metrics is no where near as good. I think being pissed is somewhat reasonable.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Are you really? I don't think de Zerbi rates him, and more significantly, I don't think de Zerbi's GK coach likes him. either. De Zerbi said, "Robert needs to listen to Ricard Segarra(?) [the goal-keeping coach?]"long before Sanchez was dropped - so there was tension there eary doors. Many NSCers wll doubtless rage at the suggestion, but maybe, just maybe, Sanchez felt he was beig thrown under the bus.

Chances to get his no.1 position back at Brighton? Considerably less than his chances of ousting Kea as no.1 at Chelsea, I would say..

Anyway, regardless of any rights and wrongs, I'm pissed off with some of the OTT Sanchez bashing, so I'm out of any further conversations on the subject.
Downing tools during a key point of the thread?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I wonder how much of the whole Sanchez situation was caused by Ben Roberts possibly tapping him up bit by bit. On top (of course) the other factors that have been spoken about on here many times.
I can only go on my own experience of being his young age (many years ago) and being relatively happy with the company I was working for until a former work mate planted a seed in my head about how much better it was to work at his new company.
I had no clue who I was at that age and in hindsight I was very easily influenced which all led to me becoming unhappy at work and it only took a small (quite insignificant) event to make me leave and join him at the new firm.
For me, his downing of tools when we needed everyone to muck in is unforgivable but from what I have explained above I can understand why it might happen.
I think they would have stayed in direct contact and Ben Roberts would be telling him how good everything is at Chelsea behind the curtains, no doubt.

I think the engineering arm of Trossard PLC also significantly influenced him to down tools and start playing up to get what he wanted. Admittedly attending Macs BBQ after a match wasn’t as convincing as using the Eurostar but you the intent was there, I couldn’t tell though

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I’m astounded we are getting £25m+.
Why are they fussing over a few million for caicedo if they’re paying that much for our number three keeper ?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
He’s a great keeper but does have a bit of calamity James about him .

I’d have been happy for him to compete with Steele but no place for someone not committed when needed

I’m in the f*** him camp

Good money into the pot

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I’m astounded we are getting £25m+.
Why are they fussing over a few million for caicedo if they’re paying that much for our number three keeper ?
He isn't our number three keeper though (or wasn't). If he had been available for selection, we wouldn't have signed Bart, so he would have still been vying with Steele for the first team slot and at that point, our number two. Once he downed tools and Bart arrived, he left the list altogether.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He isn't our number three keeper though (or wasn't). If he had been available for selection, we wouldn't have signed Bart, so he would have still been vying with Steele for the first team slot and at that point, our number two. Once he downed tools and Bart arrived, he left the list altogether.
Number two then ! 25 mill for Brighton’s number two Keeper. Tony does it again.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
He refused to even be on the bench for some of the most vital games in Brightons history. Leaving us with a young kid as backup.

When he could have just sucked it up and left with his stock (and value) high a month later. I find it harder to understand why anyone doesn't think he's a prick.
It’s difficult to share that kind of strong opinion when none of us know anything about the conversations being had. I would just rather not make such a damning judgement of a player basis what I read on social media.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not quite true that is it, De Gea just refused a new contract that was a pay cut. I don't think it is true Sanchez refused to sit on the bench either, I believe he just could not pretend to be happy about it and it was deemed best not to have a grumpy geezer in the dressing room, but I don't know, all we have is rumour and snippets from De Zerbi, who is not quite accurate with his English still.
I just can't get pissed off with him for being unhappy with being dropped for a keeper that is not as good as he is in all the measures you would normally value in a keeper, but has better pass completion.
Well that's your take on it. Man Utd have been pursuing Onana and perhaps you should ask yourself why Utd offered De Gea a lower contract? He's only 32 which is no age really for a keeper. If he was good enough they would have paid him at least the same. You're also trying to rewrite the situation with RDZ and RS. Perhaps you like to let us have some evidence as to why you don't think refused to sit on the bench when what is known is the to the contrary? I have to say that it also beggars belief that you seem to dismiss a goalkeepers ability to distribute the ball effectively. So RDZ's English isn't great, that doesn't make him a liar.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
Gutted if this is true, we only lose out of this. The best keeper we have ever had, a pittance of a fee. Left with an aging Steele and an unproven Bart. RDZ getting rid of all our best players. I’m starting to think the problem lies with our angry Italian, seems he’s falling out with and getting shot of all our best players. Once he has gone I fear we will look on it with regret.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It’s difficult to share that kind of strong opinion when none of us know anything about the conversations being had. I would just rather not make such a damning judgement of a player basis what I read on social media.
But we do have an idea on what has been said.

This direct quote from the below article, De Zerbi said: “At this moment, he (Steele) is closer to my idea, my style. Robert is improving, but Jason deserves to play. When I speak of my style, I’m speaking about the foot.”

Sanchez should have knuckled down and waited till the close season. He was on the bench until 6 games from the end so not long to wait. He chose (or was advised) to refuse to sit on the bench. Not only that, it seems from comments from others that rather than support his team mates he went out in Brighton and I'm guessing that is evidenced by social media posts.

So that seems to refute your assertion that none of us know anything.

If I was one of his team mates I would very disappointed.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Put yourself in his shoes, been with the club since he was 15, finally gets the gig, does a bloody good job and then gets dumped for keeper that by some metrics is no where near as good. I think being pissed is somewhat reasonable.

He can absolutely be pissed off. RDZ saying publicly that Steele was a better fit for his style was also pretty harsh. BUT. As a professional you carry on. He would have moved on regardless. But refusing to play is not a good look.

It also shows a massive lack of respect to Steele who has worked hard behind the scenes for years and deserves a shot.

25M is fantastic business for us.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Gutted if this is true, we only lose out of this. The best keeper we have ever had, a pittance of a fee. Left with an aging Steele and an unproven Bart. RDZ getting rid of all our best players. I’m starting to think the problem lies with our angry Italian, seems he’s falling out with and getting shot of all our best players. Once he has gone I fear we will look on it with regret.
I think “getting rid of all our best players” is a bit silly.
Sanchez has just been silly and I think we’ve done well if he goes for £25m
MacAllister has gone with our blessing when the time was right.
Connolly has gone somewhere that he probably fits in better - and he started being silly under Potter, not RDZ.
Everyone else seems fairly - if not very - happy.
Colwill wrote a heartfelt letter thanking the club for his time with us.
where’s the problem?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yet this angry Italian has us playing in the Europa league!!

And which players are you blaming RDZ for their departures?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
£25m is not a pittance and getting rid of our best players really? So what is the manager supposed to do when Trossard throws a tantrum to force his way out or one of his players downs tools as he does not like it that another member of the squad gets a start on merit?

Can’t keep high standards and togetherness in a squad with that behaviour

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here