[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Steele did get injured, and after two months of quiet benchwarming Sanchez was picked and played two of the biggest games in our history, our first win at Stamford Bridge followed by the Cup semi final at Wembley. He excelled in both, a chance to re-establish himself you might say, but was dropped back to the bench immediately after. Then Steeke shipped five against Everton and was. looking anything but a PL shot stopper, but RDZ told Sanchez he wasn't getting back in the team, at which point he got upset and the rest is history.

We sometimes forget most of us on here are 20, 30, 40 years older than these young men, these ambitious, driven 20- somethings, and are very slow to forgive them their mistakes made in the heat of the moment. Sanchez was a keeper on the up, getting plaudits and in international squads, who was suffering his first big setback. He was presumably told if he worked hard he could get his place back, but at that point after the Everton game he must have realised however good he was, and however poor Steele was, he wasn't going to get back in the team. I think most of us would have reacted similarly at that age. I'm sure he'll look back on it with regret, maybe already does, but some of the stuff on here is really over the top.
Sanchez had plenty of poor games over his time here, as well as plenty of outstanding ones. He wasn’t dropped on the back of one bad performance, he was given a chance to prove himself. That’s exactly what happened with Steele, everyone was poor against Everton but there was no way that Steele wasn’t going to be backed by RDZ at that moment. He’d backed Steele to be his number one and he wasn’t changing that based on a single bad game, no manager would.

What Sanchez should have done, as I and others have already said, is worked hard in training, tried to improve areas that’s RDZ thought he was lacking and been there supporting his team mates in our run in. He didn’t have to be happy about the situation but asking not to be selected because he wasn’t playing is one of the worse things he could have done to his team mates and the club.

He could have quietly sat there for 6 games and if he didn’t get another chance could have moved on this summer without a fuss and he’d have had the best wishes of pretty much every Brighton fan. He made some very poor choices there is no other way to put it.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I don't think anyone is disputing that he's a good keeper - its his stinking attitude that was the issue. I'd have been very happy going into this season with Sanchez and Steele vying for the No1 shirt, but unfortunately Sanchez felt that fighting for the shirt here was now somewhat beneath him.

Anything could've happened. Steele could've got suspended, injured, and then he'd have been back in the box seat with a chance of re-establishing himself. Instead he chose to play the dickhead card, during the best season in our history. We could've done with him in that run-in, as we'd have been bang in trouble if anything had happened to Steele. Turns out, he was too precious to be a backup for his team mates though. Choosing to swan around the restaurants in town instead of doing what he was PAID for.

So good riddance. F*ck him, and the horse he rode in on.
There are lots of posts on here saying he is / wasn’t a good keeper.
And Steele didnt get injured or suspended so what Sanchez did, stupid as it was, didn’t actually make any difference to the season.
I’ll stand by the point Chelsea have got a good keeper and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him as their no1 by the end of season.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I have thought for a while that the 'hate' towards Sanchez from our fans is pretty harsh, considering nobody knows exactly what has happened.

As far as I'm aware, he reacted to being dropped very badly and acted unprofessionally by not turning up to training, possibly falling out with the gaffer.

It's hardly crime of the century. Is there something else that's happened that I've missed?

Either way, he seems to have lost the fans, and possibly the manager too. I'd still give him a second chance. He's a quality young keeper, who can still make it to the very highest level... but he's clearly on his way out.

I would be disappointed if we got less than £15m plus add ons for him, as at one point he was probably valued twice that.
He refused to even be on the bench for some of the most vital games in Brightons history. Leaving us with a young kid as backup.

When he could have just sucked it up and left with his stock (and value) high a month later. I find it harder to understand why anyone doesn't think he's a prick.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That day last September when Potter went, followed by all the back room staff, including Ben Roberts et al. Sanchez was never the same.

He should have joined Chelsea then rather than try and soldier on at Albion after The Queen died frankly. He was just never the same player and he couldn't cope with it. We all miss her.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
And Steele didnt get injured or suspended so what Sanchez did, stupid as it was, didn’t actually make any difference to the season.
I’ll stand by the point Chelsea have got a good keeper and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him as their no1 by the end of season.
I think he will be. He's a better keeper then kepa (in my opinion, based on BIAS, and seeing Sanchez play every game and Kepa maybe 3 times)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
He could have quietly sat there for 6 games and if he didn’t get another chance could have moved on this summer without a fuss and he’d have had the best wishes of pretty much every Brighton fan. He made some very poor choices there is no other way to put it.

Honestly don’t understand why he didn’t do that. He could have enjoyed the pitch walk after our last home match of the season to soak up some applause from us fans. Then get straight on the blower to his agent to get a move. Instead he acted like a complete nob.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Definitely think he could be their 1st keeper. Possibly more of an indictment on Kepa than anything else.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
I wonder how much of the whole Sanchez situation was caused by Ben Roberts possibly tapping him up bit by bit. On top (of course) the other factors that have been spoken about on here many times.
I can only go on my own experience of being his young age (many years ago) and being relatively happy with the company I was working for until a former work mate planted a seed in my head about how much better it was to work at his new company.
I had no clue who I was at that age and in hindsight I was very easily influenced which all led to me becoming unhappy at work and it only took a small (quite insignificant) event to make me leave and join him at the new firm.
For me, his downing of tools when we needed everyone to muck in is unforgivable but from what I have explained above I can understand why it might happen.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Steele did get injured, and after two months of quiet benchwarming Sanchez was picked and played two of the biggest games in our history, our first win at Stamford Bridge followed by the Cup semi final at Wembley. He excelled in both, a chance to re-establish himself you might say, but was dropped back to the bench immediately after. Then Steeke shipped five against Everton and was. looking anything but a PL shot stopper, but RDZ told Sanchez he wasn't getting back in the team, at which point he got upset and the rest is history.

We sometimes forget most of us on here are 20, 30, 40 years older than these young men, these ambitious, driven 20- somethings, and are very slow to forgive them their mistakes made in the heat of the moment. Sanchez was a keeper on the up, getting plaudits and in international squads, who was suffering his first big setback. He was presumably told if he worked hard he could get his place back, but at that point after the Everton game he must have realised however good he was, and however poor Steele was, he wasn't going to get back in the team. I think most of us would have reacted similarly at that age. I'm sure he'll look back on it with regret, maybe already does, but some of the stuff on here is really over the top.
Hear hear!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sanchez is better than Kepa.
Once he's back with Roberts he'll be back to his old self.
But Roberts at Chelsea may be a very different Roberts than he was at Brighton, given the different ways the clubs operate.

Roberts could find himself in a precarious position if Sanchez doesn’t perform, throws a tantrum or has his heard turned, eg by a Spanish club.

He could sit with Cucurella on the bench for a big part of the season esp if Chelsea get a good start without him/them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That day last September when Potter went, followed by all the back room staff, including Ben Roberts et al. Sanchez was never the same.

He should have joined Chelsea then rather than try and soldier on at Albion after The Queen died frankly. He was just never the same player and he couldn't cope with it. We all miss her.

Clearly Bob missed Lilibet deeply, his form crashed after Ma’am’s passing.

Hopefully being on the bench at a club far closer to Buckingham Palace will give him a chance to grieve properly.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He refused to even be on the bench for some of the most vital games in Brightons history. Leaving us with a young kid as backup.

When he could have just sucked it up and left with his stock (and value) high a month later. I find it harder to understand why anyone doesn't think he's a prick.
He's a disgrace, he's dissed the club, he's dissed de Zerbi, his dissed us fans, he's let the club and his team mates down, refusing to play (he didn't) and could 'of 'sabotaged the greatest season in Brighton's history - he's a bad apple, get rid at any cost, anthing we get for this rubbish is a brilliant deal for us. I think I've summed that up about right, no? Can I perhaps dare add, "I'd drive him there myself"?

Finding it harder to understand why anyone doesn't think he's a prick - or, to put it another way, anybody who doesn't agree with me and thinks that Sanchez himself might have genuinely been hurt and felt badly treated just doesn't have a point..........

You know what? If you were Chelsea, I'd think you were a bit entitled......................

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I'm not sure what your source is for RDZ basically telling Sanchez "you're never playing for me again" at that point after the Everton debacle. And yes we shipped 5, but since when does that ALL get put down to the keeper ? We were collectively off it that day as a team, you can't just point at Steele for that gruesome result and expect him to be binned immediately. Sanchez (rightly) played on after his brainfart at Selhurst, and he got an FA Cup semi-final as well, so its not like RDZ was itching to freeze him out. That only came after he downed tools.

As for playing the age card - Sanchez is 25. He's not some wet-behind-the-ears inexperienced kid who doesn't know how to behave. Players get dropped, its a fact of the profession. Its how they REACT to it that will define them. And as we saw, Sanchez unfortunately lacked the 'big balls'.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
He's a disgrace, he's dissed the club, he's dissed de Zerbi, his dissed us fans, he's let the club and his team mates down, refusing to play (he didn't) and could 'of 'sabotaged the greatest season in Brighton's history - he's a bad apple, get rid at any cost, anthing we get for this rubbish is a brilliant deal for us. Ithink I've summed that up about right, no? Can I perhaps dare add, "I'd drive him there myself"?

Finding it harder to understand why anyone doesn't think he's a prick - or, to put it another way, anybody who doesn't agree with me and thinks that Sanchez himself might have genuinely been hurt and felt badly treated just doesn't have a point..........

You know what? If you were Chelsea, I'd think you were a bit entitled......................
He's a disgrace, he's dissed the club, he's dissed de Zerbi, his dissed us fans, he's let the club and his team mates down, refusing to play (he didn't) and could 'of 'sabotaged the greatest season in Brighton's history - he's a bad apple, get rid at any cost, anthing we get for this rubbish is a brilliant deal for us. Ithink I've summed that up about right, no? Can I perhaps dare add, "I'd drive him there myself"?

Have a day off mate.

Someone else can't understand why everyone hates him.
I understand why loads of people do.

Try not to take it all so personally and remember to breathe.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It's not just RDZ though is it. More and more want to play out from the back, that's why Ten Haag let De Gea go. Sanchez is a **** but his refusal to sit on the bench for the last 6 games means he falls foul of the 'no dickheads' rule. Now he may have been very badly advised by his agent but it was still his decision not to support his team mates in the push for Europe.
There is playing out from the back, and then there is goading the strikers to press the keeper and the defence in numbers. Sanchez was comfortable with Potters playing out from the back, finding a player in space, less so playing one touch pinball in the penalty box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports