[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It is suspiciously expensive I really hope it's not part of a double deal where we let them have caciedo 10m cheaper so we save a couple mill on the sell on.

Probably too far fetched a theory.
This is exactly what I thought. I hope I’m wrong as I don’t like the thought of us pulling a bit of a fast one on his old club.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Sky Sports…

“Chelsea have agreed a £25m deal with Brighton to sign goalkeeper Robert Sanchez.

The fee is inclusive of add-ons and a sell-on clause with Sanchez now set to undergo a medical at Chelsea.”

Inclusive of adds AND a sell on? So it’s £25m & a sell on percentage? That wording is confusing me. How could a future sell on be inclusive with the fee? Maybe I’m being thick.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sky Sports…

“Chelsea have agreed a £25m deal with Brighton to sign goalkeeper Robert Sanchez.

The fee is inclusive of add-ons and a sell-on clause with Sanchez now set to undergo a medical at Chelsea.”

Inclusive of adds AND a sell on? So it’s £25m & a sell on percentage? That wording is confusing me. How could a future sell on be inclusive with the fee? Maybe I’m being thick.
Add-on and sell-ons are different things. Add-ons trigger based on things like no. of appearances etc. Sell-ons is a % of any future fee.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
£25m for our third choice goalkeeper who really had no chance or intention to play for us this season. That's incredible, but it could also look pretty poor in a few years when he's ousted Kepa as first choice and continued his development. I think he's really got something, but his attitude will be a problem for him.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It is suspiciously expensive I really hope it's not part of a double deal where we let them have caciedo 10m cheaper so we save a couple mill on the sell on.

Probably too far fetched a theory.
Not just you Dwayne a lot of people deciding retrospectively he was a bit rubbish. stick any other keeper's picture and name, add in age and International pedigree. I don't think this is an inflated fee.

We should be pleased we have moved on a keeper who doesn't fit the manager's style and replaced him with a lower cost prospect who does suit RDZ, but I don't think Chelsea are being taken for a ride here.

skysports-robert-sanchez-brighton_5553891.png

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Add-on and sell-ons are different things. Add-ons trigger based on things like no. of appearances etc. Sell-ons is a % of any future fee.
Yeah I get that, it’s just them saying it was inclusive of the fee that was confusing me. Is it a £25m fee that includes some triggered add ons AND a separate percentage of any future sale? If so £25m plus potentially a future say £5m is pretty decent.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
He wasn’t dropped twice though. It was made clear that going forward he was to be second choice in the league and be the cup keeper. Steele had performed that role for a number of seasons and played in the Premier League when Sanchez was suspended. He knew he’d only be in for that game.

The same applies for Bob and the Chelsea game, he was only playing because Steele was injured. Such is the life of the second choice keeper. Steele had done nothing to warrant being dropped. Wether Sanchez agreed with having to step out of the team again or not his job is to train hard, wait for his next chance and play well again and give the manager a real selection problem.

However he chose to do the opposite, effectively refused to make himself available for selection and left the team in the lurch with only a rookie goalkeeper as cover at the busiest and most important time of the season. He potentially put the skids under our chances of European qualification, thankfully it didn’t come back and bite us, but refusing to play/be selected is a slap in the face of his team mates, the club and our fans who until that point had always backed him despite his odd blip on the pitch.
The bust-up came after Steele shipped five against Everton, didn't it? Sanchez told that he still wasn't going to get his place back.

Things could have been very, very different if he'd saved a penalty in the FA Cup semi...

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
£25m for our third choice goalkeeper who really had no chance or intention to play for us this season. That's incredible, but it could also look pretty poor in a few years when he's ousted Kepa as first choice and continued his development. I think he's really got something, but his attitude will be a problem for him.
Even if he is a future success it doesn’t change the immediate situation, so £25m for someone who doesn’t want to play is a good fee.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
The bust-up came after Steele shipped five against Everton, didn't it? Sanchez told that he still wasn't going to get his place back.

Things could have been very, very different if he'd saved a penalty in the FA Cup semi...
I doubt it , he had a bust up with Undav is my understanding . Not directly but told Undav something negative about his play that he overhead from the manager . That’s what I heard from ‘ a source ‘

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I think all that has been reported (apart from rhetoric on NSC) is that he asked not to be included in the squad to sit on the bench. Never heard any viable report that he would refuse to resume his place between the sticks should Steele become unavailable for selection.
As for not jioining in with training, in the circumstances that is just as likely due to instructions from the club as anything else. Unhappy player wanting to leave? - don't come in and train with the squad. Pretty standard, I would think.

Making yourself unavailable from selection be it starting or bench is the same thing in my eyes.

I don’t believe he was training separately until he removed himself.

Refusing to be in the squad, unprofessional and unforgivable, in my eyes anyway

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Make sure you shut the door in the way out Bob. Have fun sitting on the bench at Chelsea.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Such a shame how its worked out with Sanchez, I firmly believe he was on a path to being one of the very best in the world and whilst being dropped once might have been good for him after a few mistakes, doing it twice had no reason to it other than to very publicly reject him. Contrary to all the slagging off on here, when he was dropped he didn't immediately throw a strop, he was on the bench for two full months, and when he got back in the side two months later he was exceptional, in the win at Chelsea and then a clean sheet in the Cup semi-final including one of the best saves I've seen live. And was then dropped again. At that point he obviously realised RDZ wanted nothing to do with him and I'd challenge anyone to be content in that situation. And still we haven't had him mouthing off to the press, just a behind closed-doors conversation with RDZ where they agreed it was better for everyone that he moves on. Fantastic keeper at every single part of the game, great shot stopper, confident in the air, good with his feet, a tough character who belongs in the premier league. RDZ wants his keeper to be exceptional with the ball at his feet, which rules out 99% of keepers out there, and that's absolutely fine, but when he moves on and we stop playing his style, we'll more than likely be left with a keeper who's not as good as the one we're letting go.

And it all makes me sad
Cracking post - 100% agree. Said simething similar earlier, only for some Sanchez hater to jeer that he must be my love child, conceived some squalid night in some place seedy enough for the conception of such low-life.
Granted, he asked not to be included in the squad to sit in the bench (or refused to sit on the bench if you insist on the more detrmental version), but nowhere have I seen any suggestion (other than amongst the outrage on NSC) that he refused (or would have refused) to play, had he been selected to actually play should Steele have become unavailable for any reason.
Well, he's gone, we've apparantly got a decent price for him, which is good, but apart from that I, like you, am disappointed it's ended this way. Still wish it was anywhere but Chelsea........

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Yeah it did come after the Everton game. Clearly he thought that he’d get back in but Steele wasn’t the only one to have a poor game and as Sanchez had kept his place after similarly shipping a lot of goals he should know it takes more than one bad performance to change things.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Making yourself unavailable from selection be it starting or bench is the same thing in my eyes.

I don’t believe he was training separately until he removed himself.

Refusing to be in the squad, unprofessional and unforgivable, in my eyes anyway
Hugely different in my eyes.....................

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Cracking post - 100% agree. Said simething similar earlier, only for some Sanchez hater to jeer that he must be my love child, conceived some squalid night in some place seedy enough for the conception of such low-life.
Granted, he asked not to be included in the squad to sit in the bench (or refused to sit on the bench if you insist on the more detrmental version), but nowhere have I seen any suggestion (other than amongst the outrage on NSC) that he refused (or would have refused) to play, had he been selected to actually play should Steele have become unavailable for any reason.
Well, he's gone, we've apparantly got a decent price for him, which is good, but apart from that I, like you, am disappointed it's ended this way. Still wish it was anywhere but Chelsea........
Refusing to be selected is refusing to play. What happens if Steele got injured in the pre match warm up? Or during the game? Or even picked up a red card? We have to play a rookie keeper. He let the club down massively by asking not to be included in match day squads to sit on the bench. It’s a massive lack of support for his team mates and there was little chance of him coming back from that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hugely different in my eyes.....................
Steele was professional when he was only selected for cup games. He never complained but patiently waited for his chance, which he took well, when selected.
Sanchez wanted to go straight back into the team, without sitting on the bench in the meantime. He was asked to go to America, and refused.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports